• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Please keep knickers knot free

PTC

Issue # 89 of my newsletter has just gone up.

Knowing how some members on here are made of glass and think the entire world revolves around them, please be aware that this newsletter is in response to a conversation I had on overclockers forum on Saturday, where I actually said to the poster that he had given me a great topic for a newsletter.

I actually always have at least 2 newsletters pre written, this one was done on Saturday or Sunday, I dont recall exactly what day.

Its also why Horleys who is sponsoring the comp, didnt get a mention, it was already written.

This newsletter is without doubt my all time favourite, I've read it more times than all the others combined, and started recieving congratulatory emails instantly once it hit the website.

Pretty sure Josh will understand it more than most of the original ausbb originals.

Please people, stay knot free, its not about any of you.

Nice newsletter. I would take the 1000hp GTR route over the other routes everytime. No wonder I have got my shit together and am training differently.

I read the other newsletter about training. I found it very interesting as it is exactly what I want. I want to be a well rounded lifter! I find it funny how weak some of the "strong guys" are at my gym.

Hey Markos,
Great newsletter.

Would also be interested to hear your thoughts on specific goals..
i.e. maybe the Ferrari would be the better option for someone simply looking to build a great physique..

So.. "the fastest, best way" .. do you apply that to simply building strength? obviously you'd be building muscle and the physique comes along with that - but are looks an important factor for you as a coach, and your clients? or would that fall into their second priority for instance?

Cheers,
Raphael

Physical transformation happens mostly at the dinner table. As long as you trigger a response for some muscle growth, generally by doing something the muscle hasnt done before, and eat enough for that muscle to recover AND grow stronger, thats all you need. Its actually that simple.

You missed the point with the Ferrari by the way, he doesnt get you anywhere quicker, despite his fancy car.

I'll use tonight as an example.

Five weeks ago I had 2 heavy guys who have never even looked at a weight before join up. They were going to be in a bridal party and they didnt fit in their suits. The bride already trains with me.

They each had to lose around 15kg before last Friday, which they did. They simply lifted heavy weights twice a week, took the junk out of their diet, stopped drinking alcohol.

So while these guys were on a caloried reduced diet, the emphasis wasnt on cardio, which is what most Ferrari owners would have them do, it was on lifting heavy weights on basic compound exercises, and showing a little discipline at the dinner table.

The wedding has been and gone, but these guys have decided to keep lifting. They had tried to lose weight before, but they like the way theyre headed, and they enjoy the strength gains.

We already know they have lost 15kg, but have they got stronger? Because they had never ever touched a weight before, I went quite easy at first. Tonight we tested their strength.

They both deadlifted 180kg and squatted 130kg, powercleaned 85kg and benched 90kg. They both push pressed 75kg.

Five weeks of concentrated strength training. The reason they are losing so much fat and gaining strength at the same time on a calorie reduced diet is BECAUSE THEY ARE BUILDING MUSCLE BY LIFTING PROGRESSIVELY HEAVIER WEIGHTS. Their BMR would be skyrocketing. Their is no doubt they are building muscle, if you doubt it, try and lift those weights. Five weeks.

Oh, those weights werent maxed out, we simply stopped, except for the BP, they both just missed 100kg.

If you want your body to change, you have to force it, not whisper sweet nothings in its ear.

Last edited:
You missed the point with the Ferrari by the way, he doesnt get you anywhere quicker, despite his fancy car.

I guess I was taking it as - you look great in the Ferrari, girls will come running - but at the end of the day, you're just another tool that owns a Ferrari, and have no idea how to use it properly - and it's not actually helping you progress aside from a nice bicep to flex when you've got a singlet on.. :)

The Sonat guy is straight out of PT school, lovey dovey doesnt know much, only what he learnt in school

The Ferrari guy is the guy who has every certificate and theory, clueless, dazzles with glitter to cover lack of substance

The GTR simply gets the job done, no frills, steps on toes, only cares about client, not what anyone else thinks

I thought it was easy to follow, anyway, had more positive response from this newsletter than any other since the Buffville story lol

It was pretty easy to follow Markos. LOL

The 1000hp GTR is old and it is not a comfortable ride, though it gets the results that are needed. Coil Overs (Squats), External Wastegates (Deadlifts), Loud Exhausts (Military Presses), Bare Essentials in Cabin (no wraps, belts, assisting tools) are only made for certain people. If only more people hardened up and realised what real perfomance can be and can do, now I am talking about cars and training.

great newsletter markos, and a very interesting read...

personally, i've never been a fan of PT's and would never hire one for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the fact that i am a 'qualified' PT and was utterly amazed to find the lack of information i actually learned. (i.e. i didn't actually learn anything i didn't already know)

also, most PT's (again from my experience in learning) had never even touched a weight before and purely studied PT because they thought it was a 'flash' career to get into

however, the sort of training that you promote, is something that i would be genuinely interested in getting into. unfortunately, i am not aware of any trainers like you that exist in Perth :S

i am a 'qualified' PT and was utterly amazed to find the lack of information i actually learned.
Speak for yourself :p

however, the sort of training that you promote, is something that i would be genuinely interested in getting into. unfortunately, i am not aware of any trainers like you that exist in Perth :S
A weightlifting club would be the closest equivalent, I think.

I knew you would get it Josh.

Starting weights were like every one else, 40kg squat, bench and dead. Systematicly increase the weight every session. After 4-5 weeks of progressive resistance and conditioning, lets have a look were we are at.

Simmo, one of the guys, has sent me 3 emails since that session.

Here is the first one

Hi Marcus,

When I first started training you had Kelly & Simon lifting some serious weights and I thought to myself - I'll be happy if I can get to half of what they do in six months... back then I weighed 146KGs and it took all my strength to complete ten reps of deadlifts on the 64kg kettle bell - not to mention the 6 days to recover!! I say back then like we have been on a long journey but in reality that was only about 6 weeks ago!!

Tonight I set a PB for every discipline and did it easy - surprising the hell out myself at how easy I lifted some of those weights! Maths was never my strong point but I know tonight I have totalled over 500kg's for the five lifts. Perhaps you can confirm my no's. DL 180, SQ 130, PC 80+, BP 80+, OH 70+...

I am extremely surprised with my progress and look forward to totaling 600kgs by the end of November.
DL 200, SQ 140, BP 100, PC 90, OH 70. I also home to be under to 125KGs by then.

Thanks for your help so far.

Simmo

was simmo one of the big guys training after me? if those guys stay at it they look like they could lift some massive numbers

Speak for yourself :p

A weightlifting club would be the closest equivalent, I think.

A weightlifting club is nothing like Markos's place. Weightlifters only focus on improving 2 lifts, Markos focus' on all round performance. Weightlifting clubs are awesome for improving the olympic lifts but thats about it.

As for a hardcore Perth gym check this place out. I have never been there but the youtube vids look great and I have seen some good reviews.

The Muscle Pit

A weightlifting club is nothing like Markos's place. Weightlifters only focus on improving 2 lifts, Markos focus' on all round performance. Weightlifting clubs are awesome for improving the olympic lifts but thats about it.

As for a hardcore Perth gym check this place out. I have never been there but the youtube vids look great and I have seen some good reviews.

The Muscle Pit

thanks for that mate, just a couple of quick questions

- that link is just a contact email addy, is there no actual website?
- seeing as my goal is basically to build an impressive physique (muscular and lean), do you think a place like this (or PTC) would be 'accepting'?

i mean this in the sense that i seem to encounter a bit of resistance from some powerlifters who seem to think that the pursuit to build an impressive body is in some way less admirable then trying to lift the heaviest weights you possibly can (which is not really what i am interested in...)

cheers

I've never trained there so I have no idea.

But in any event the beauty of weight training is that an impressive physique and serious strength need not be mutually exclusive.