• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Please critique my 3 day split .

Mega

Hello all, first post on this been reading for a while now and got a heap of knowledge out of it. Been into fitness for about 5 years now only started weight training though looking to build muscle build and get big. At the moment working out 3 days a week I work out at home with free weights I have a bench press and squat stands below is my current workout please let me know if you thinks it's ok or shit house and what would you change. Thanks
Monday
Barbell bench press 3 x 8
Dumbbell incline Bench press 3 x 8
Dumbbell fly flat bench 3 x 8
Dumbbell raise front 3 x10
Dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 8
Cable push down 3 x 8
Barbell tri extension 3 x 8
Dips to failure
Push ups to failure ( alternating arm position at random each workout)

Wednesday
Dead lift 3 x 8
Barbell row 3 x 8
Dumbbell row 3 x 8
Barbell shrug 3 x 10
Dumbbell raise lateral 3 x 8
Dumbbell bicep curl 3 x 8
Barbell bicep curl (preacher) 3 x 8
Dumbbell rotation 3 x 8

Friday
Squat 3 x 8
Dumbbell lunge 3 x 8
dumbbell calf raise 3 x 10
Dumbbell calf raise seated 3 x 10
Weighted bridge 3 x 8
Leg raise 3 x 20 or till failure
Dumbbell wood chopper 3 x 10
Barbell crunch 3 sets till failure

Last edited:
When I can complete 3 x 8 with "x" amount of of weight I'll add more weight at the moment I'm being able to add around about 2- 3 kg a fortnight on most lifts. Is there something wrong with this ?

I like the setup having basically a push day a pull day and Lower body day. Definitely be adding SLDL maybe squat and sumo squat aswell. Depends on your body what is weak points what you want to achieve oh and with chest and shoulders can't go past upright rows.

From what you've got so far I'd swap your Wed/Fri workouts. It gives your upper body a bit better recovery that way.

any reason your not following one of the many versions of the 5x5 beginners programs out there or the ptc beginner program on here witch are proven to add strength/size?

Looks OK mate, just push and be consistent.
Maybe swap the order and do BB before DB and keep progressing, either on weight, reps or intensity.

Anyway you can add another day? Going to be hard to keep intensity up when your workouts have so many exercises in them.

Leg day is pretty poor - add some stiff legged deads in there or leg extensions.

As above though I would really looking at spliting this into 4 days.

Legs
Chest/triceps
Back/biceps
Shoulders

3-4 exercises max
2 exercises for arms/calves i.e Biceps - Barbell curl/db curl

Rep range 6-8

Anyway you can add another day? Going to be hard to keep intensity up when your workouts have so many exercises in them.

Leg day is pretty poor - add some stiff legged deads in there or leg extensions.

As above though I would really looking at spliting this into 4 days.

Legs
Chest/triceps
Back/biceps
Shoulders

3-4 exercises max
2 exercises for arms/calves i.e Biceps - Barbell curl/db curl

Rep range 6-8

I agree with this, as the exercise list looks exhausting just reading it!

My further suggestions to consider would be:
- incline bench first
- drop front raises on push day, and do lateral raises on that day instead
- replace lateral raises on pull day with rear raises on that day (to help with the next point)
- seems to be a lot more chest/shoulder work than back work - is there anyway you can do pullups or inverted rows or db pullovers?
- seeing you are only going 3 days I would rather drop conventional deadlifts, sub in the back exercises I mentioned above (or do rack pulls) and add romanian/stiff deads to leg day and maybe some step ups.

When I can complete 3 x 8 with "x" amount of of weight I'll add more weight at the moment I'm being able to add around about 2- 3 kg a fortnight on most lifts. Is there something wrong with this ?

Not at all if you're progressin, only you know.
although It reads as though you haven't really thought this through.

But, carry-on, if you find that you are stalling, return to this thread and re-asses.

All the best with it.

I've never liked having to hit my rep count on all 3 sets because it ends up becoming a problem with endurance. I will often work off the first set or 2 (of 3) or the final set, depending on whether it's more of a pure strength type exercise (deadlifts) or something where I really like to feel it e.g. cable rows.

Wednesday and Friday workout swapped .. Thank you.
I may eventually add another day but at the moment due to other commitments it may be difficult, also added sldl thanks for the feedback.