• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pistachio's thoughts on training

Hey Pistachio. Impressive work... I am very interested in your comments regarding the 5 day split/ body building routine versus strength training techniques. What is working/ what hasn't worked?

Thanks mate. I think I alluded to this above - basically overall strength training is a good place to start to ensure you develop a solid and symmetrical base. Past this point, it basically becomes a question of your goals. If you just want to be a strong mofo, then just keep training for strength. If you are more interested in your physique, then do bodybuilder style training. A mix is best IMO.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking though? Provided you are consistent and work hard, just about everything will work. But it depends what you want to achieve.

My current program is working quite well though :)

What are your thoughts on upper/lower chest development? I like the bench press as a sole exercise for upper body strength/mass development, but I dislike the way I seem to be growing... mainly all lower chest.

I have shoulder issues that make incline presses & flyes slightly uncomfortable for some reason. Hoping dumbell incline presses will work.

When I was younger, I used to read all the magazines that told you to train upper and lower chest seperately, make sure you hit all three heads of the triceps, both heads of the biceps etc.

Nowadays, I think this is all rubbish. Unless you are a probodybuilder, none of this is going to make any difference.

However, there is a caveat to this. Everyone has different genetics and some people will grow in a particular way. If you find your lower chest is growing excessively from regular bench, try using incline bench exclusively for say 6 months and see what happens. If your shoulder problems prevent this, then try dumbbells and see how you go. The other option is to prefatigue the chest first with, say, pec dec, and then do incline bench press.

I don't think there would be a huge difference honestly, but you can only try and find out.

Appreciate the response- in my experiance only ever really doing the BB begginer program- Now doing everything 10x3 I find the squats are great like that and really improve weekly.

Im finding the most trouble now Squating and deadlifts in the same session, I only ever lift every second day but find i need to to my deads on the off day as a single exersise. As long as its getting done in my books thats what counts.

In your experiance do you think staying on somehting like the begginer program for BB is OK long term or is a split similar to yours really needed to get corect growth/proportion ect.

I would do deadlifts and squats on a seperate day because they both should be given 100%, and I feel like whichever is done second won't be getting that level of effort.

No, I don't think these programs are good long term. In fact, most programs aren't. You should change things up fairly regularly (say every 6 months) as your body changes. You never know how your body is going to react. You might do a particular program for 6 months, thinking your whole body will grow evenly, but for some reason, tris aren't growing as quickly as biceps. Or chest is growing quicker than back. Or traps are growing too fast etc etc.

I don't think a split is necessarily needed. You could still be doing a whole body program, but the accessory exercises would likely need to change over time.

Of course, you may be lucky, and your whole body might grow perfectly symmetrically and quickly. Some people are gifted genetically when it comes to bodybuilding - and program would work.

But for most people, some things will grow quicker than others and some body parts will lag. If you don't mix up your program to 'correct' these issues, then the strong parts will just get stronger and the lagging parts will just fall further behind.

So you need to regularly take stock of your progress and amend your program accordingly.

Hmm see that’s the thing, I like to think my main training is for Muay thai and wanting to compete.

Now you never see a BB fighter, Although some of the UFC boys look similar.

Hence why I think the BB program is good for me, Works all the compounds, But then again that comes back down to what exactly your training for, Everyone has a different goal.

I would like to stay on the BB program until im at 100kg bench, 140kg squat ect ect like the guide lines say, But this wont happen in 6 months

And then a whole different can of worms saying the Muay thay is detrimental to lifting. And vice versa, But I think it can only help.

I did loose lots of weight doen to 73kg at one stage but still had high bf% and lots of jiggly bits.

Only way is a body recomp with heavy weights and constant diet and training.

Well that’s my conclusion and goal anyways.

I would be 100% happy with a body like yours atm.

Bit of a brain speel sorry haha