• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal trainers

Serious lifting still takes place in some places

Don't get me wrong, one certainly can learn from
others, someone once said "all real living is meeting" ?

The problem i see is that when confronting others everyone should
be on equal footing... dependency should not be part of the relationship.

One should always be open to learning... and in education the
end result should always be independence.

In training and this is the way I train people is the end result of the
teaching/coaching should be for the trainee to know what to do
and how to get the most out of him-self by him-self...

I mean, the trainee is not coming for me, he's doing it for himself, but it seems people are getting lazier, or more stupid, or both.

I've learnt a lot from the few personal trainers I've seen, but I've chosen them carefully.

I definitely wouldn't have figured that stuff out alone (deadlift form, squat form, bench form, etc.) - or it would have taken me longer to get there.

The whole notion of not learning anything from anyone and figuring everything out yourself as the sole way of learning seems ridiculous to me. In the world of gym articles and publications, where bullshit is so dominant, working things out for yourself unfortunately may be just as efficient as seeking advice (esp. if you take it from the first person to open their mouth/write a column). Articles/people/forum threads that spout extreme opinions that only represent part of the truth (e.g. some of this thread) dont help.

I think you are confusing learning technique with paying someone to tell you what to lift and when to lift and what and when to eat. I can not see a problem getting someone to show you how to lift correctly, provided the person knows what they are doing themselves, which a LOT of Pt's don't.

I went to coaching classes at Sydeny PTC showing correct form for the main lifts, I learned how to competition bench press, dead lift, squat and press, each one was a two hour coaching session run by a strength coach. was great and I did learn stuff and still practice it every week.

By the way the strength coach was Moons that gets on here every now and then, he is a very good teacher IMO.

Serious lifting still takes place in some places

Don't get me wrong, one certainly can learn from
others, someone once said "all real living is meeting" ?

The problem i see is that when confronting others everyone should
be on equal footing... dependency should not be part of the relationship.

One should always be open to learning... and in education the
end result should always be independence.

In training and this is the way I train people is the end result of the
teaching/coaching should be for the trainee to know what to do
and how to get the most out of him-self by him-self...

I mean, the trainee is not coming for me, he's doing it for himself, but it seems people are getting lazier, or more stupid, or both.

that's kind of the point I was making only my powers of articulation are completely non-existent.

You are right ... a lot of people, though, go to the gym because they feel they have to in order to satisfy/meet a separate goal. If they aren't all that committed, it goes beyond laziness and stupidity ... it's just that they don't actually WANT to be there.