• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I understand white lie. you are right with your general premise.

the only thing I would add is, that even with good form, there will a progression in terms of heavier weight lifted over time.

again, i cite example of gary lewer, who could do 3-4 plates squats relatively easy, but preferred to train often on two plates going for form and tension. well that is what he told me when he indicated that he had trained this way all of his career. there are other national bb champs I have known with same attitude.

Do you think hypertrophy will continue with that rate of progressing? Or do you think that instead you are making gains in muscular endurance instead?
What are you gunna do? Keep adding reps tik you get 6569?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I believe that if you do a lot of muscle endurance training, there is a strong relationship with strength. if you bench goes from 10 to 20 reps on 70kg, at least in my case, then the maximum will go up around 10kg.

however, someone who trains with low reps will not find such a relationship. this is because he or she may rarely train such an energy system.

in fact, when I was young, and when I could only do one rep on about 170 lbs, I stayed on that weight until I got 17 reps. well, not surprising that single rep, once attempted, went right up.

however, I did not go flat out 170 pounds each time, learning quite early that I needed around 2 weeks to recover.

I cant understand why I would want to add more reps if I am grinding out the final rep of the current set?

I could however, add a small increment of weight and grind it out again.

If I can easily add reps to current sets, does that mean the former rep plan was inadequate?

Again, probably better to add weight and make the last rep hard.

For once I am not being a smartarse since I wonder whether I should add volume via another set and increase weight when I hit the final set (which has the benefit of a rest period in between), add reps until I hit a magical number then increasing weight (what is the magical number and if its hard now how will more grinding help?) or even dropping reps to keep adding weight then working back up to current rep range (which should mean more strength without requiring a corresponding increase in endurance)

My ability to grind reps changes almost daily due to many factors, my base level of strength varies very little over a week.

Last edited:
I wouldnt think it wise to train that close to failure every session. Or even every week.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

at end of day, key principle of strength training is to push and recover.

I do not believe that one needs to push to failure each time you train; this only part of equation.

one has to work out what is good for him or her in terms of how often one trains and how often to push; this varies.

if it was all easy then everyone would merely follow a world champion's program and get results.

there are a variety of rep and set protocols that work, but need to stimulate and recover is the essential ingredient of training for most.

From what I've read
Time seems to be a larger factor here as opposed to the number of reps performed
120 seconds being the maximum for multjoint
And 60 to 90 for single joint
That being said 120 for both is a good start for beginners as you advance the tut decreases, but of course opinions will vary as people are different

goosey, it is an interesting debate. a sprinter coach mate of mine gets great results with very little training; very high intensity but just a few reps of running and a few power feats a couple times per week.

while it is not weight training, their leg power improves dramatically, a sure way to know hat enough stimulus has been provided.

I reckon there are many ways to skin a cat, but key will always be doing enough to stimulate power and then back off for recovery. this differs from individual to individual, and an athlete also has to enjoy the exercise they choose.

goosey, it is an interesting debate. a sprinter coach mate of mine gets great results with very little training; very high intensity but just a few reps of running and a few power feats a couple times per week.

while it is not weight training, their leg power improves dramatically, a sure way to know hat enough stimulus has been provided.

I reckon there are many ways to skin a cat, but key will always be doing enough to stimulate power and then back off for recovery. this differs from individual to individual, and an athlete also has to enjoy the exercise they choose.

I could talk for days on said topic/s

it is an interesting debate. I suspect it will long remain one as the search for the magical training protocol will be complicated by many success stories with vastly different training methods.

but, at end of day, if it works, it works. that is why so many powertlifters do so well on old programs; they allow for different intensities and building athlete to one's peak before a short freshening up period.

I think some basic truths stand up. most importantly, beyond basic training and dietary needs, the more intense you train the less often you should so.

of course, this does not apply to sports where technique is a factor, and numerous sub-maximal session may be encourages (such as weightlifting).

at the moment, in my decrepit state, I am training strength once per week each muscle group (over three days) after again going backwards from too much endurance stuff.

I train and work at army gym, so leg session once per week is typically

3x10e walking lunges, 3x10e standing lunges, 3x10e stepups 60cm, and 3x10e single leg box squats, followed by hypers and bodyweight single leg calf work. always I minute rest between sets on such days, unless doing flat out single set.

most I use so far s 2x8kg kettlebells, but my leg power is back up to what it was in December 2016 before I got side tracked by wanting to get fit.

no, I don't believe you have to train heavy to get stronger, you just need to do enough to stimulate. and my sessions fucking hurt.

I think some basic truths stand up. most importantly, beyond basic training and dietary needs, the more intense you train the less often you should so.

of course, this does not apply to sports where technique is a factor, and numerous sub-maximal session may be encourages (such as weightlifting).

An interdasting discussion over at dave draper in the DJ section of the forum about; sport, training, workoits and having fun, you might like

So many pages of tripe.

There are lots of ways to progress, regardless of your goals.

There are almost as many ways to measure that progress.

Do what makes you happy but don't get so full of yourself that you think other opinions automatically have to be wrong.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

So many pages of tripe.

There are lots of ways to progress, regardless of your goals.

There are almost as many ways to measure that progress.

Do what makes you happy but don't get so full of yourself that you think other opinions automatically have to be wrong.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Thanks for adding to the tripe

WTAF is wrong with you box heads?