• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

It might be worth noting according to that article I posted earlier OHP mainly hits front delts. Supplement it with some reverse flyes and bent over flyes! Use your dumbells (light weight) to do these.

This may not be the case for some but I definitely have big fucking front delts compared to side and rear. Balance is good for shoulder health, I've heard.

70kg at 78kg BW is my best. Have to be careful not to pass out with these ones :p

I haven't programmed it in specifically as I always do different types. BB, db's, one arm db or KB. As long as I have some sort of challenging OHP I'm happy.

As a side not, the KB OHP is substantially harder than a DB because of the starting position so I like these so I don't have to load up heavy db's.

When I did program them a bit more regularly it was a simple 3 sets of 5 at heavy weight and then 2 dropsets of 10. Basically linear progression. I've read that the hepburn method is one of the most successful for building the OHP.

On Anzac Day was doing my 3 sets of BB OHP.

First 2 sets no problem, about 3 reps into third set neck popped/cracked and hurt like crap!!

Only just starting to feel better. Still not 100%.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I would assume that it being the 3rd set I was a bit tired and cheated form wise or something. Am very hesitant to now OHP again, will just start out slow when it feels 100% better!

On Anzac Day was doing my 3 sets of BB OHP.

First 2 sets no problem, about 3 reps into third set neck popped/cracked and hurt like crap!!

Only just starting to feel better. Still not 100%.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I would assume that it being the 3rd set I was a bit tired and cheated form wise or something. Am very hesitant to now OHP again, will just start out slow when it feels 100% better!

Hi Bar squat, BTN, or getting sloppy and sticking my head out will kink my neck badly and bring on a savage migraine.

I once strained my neck by craning it too much during MP too. Rookie mistake! That was a bad time, but very easy to do when approaching failure. Best thing to counteract this is to focus on tightening glutes and lats instead.

Strange, even with shit house form on some grinding sets I've never had that. The main one I seem to get is almost passing out on heavy OHP sets.

Almost passed out on a set yesterday on my first rep. Think I may have hyper ventilated attempting to get my breathing tight.

Getting close to breaking 80 for 5 reps 3 sets.

Started doing BTN for my light days for 10 plus reps and the soreness was ridiculous, so theres deffinatly some weakness there. Hopefully it should compliment my OHP.

Getting close to breaking 80 for 5 reps 3 sets.

Started doing BTN for my light days for 10 plus reps and the soreness was ridiculous, so theres deffinatly some weakness there. Hopefully it should compliment my OHP.

That's solid as fuck, what do you weigh?

I am going to try a similar approach to BTN's I am weak compared to my OHP so hope gains there will carryover. Can't do any harm anyway

Would doing seated DB presses slightly behind the head qualify as a BTN? Or do I have to go with a barbell.. (no spotter, very hard to unrack, rack BB on my own)

Would doing seated DB presses slightly behind the head qualify as a BTN? Or do I have to go with a barbell.. (no spotter, very hard to unrack, rack BB on my own)

It's pissy easy unrack it as if it's a high bar squat and press from that position, if you fail just put it back down on your back in the upright starting squat position and walk it into the pins as you do a squat.

Im heavy as shit. 110. So power to weight is terrible, haha.

Same thing with the btn compared to overhead. Only banging out 40kg for set of 10 for my first session. So theres a ton of ground to makenup in my overall shoulder strength.

What about less strict variants like push press? Does anyone think there is room for this movement in a routiene?