• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Over under grip?

If you're scared of a muscle tear then take up stamp collecting
the risk is minimal

simple, dont go full retard and deadlift properly, you wont tear your biceps if you do it right

Bullshit

Not saying it will happen but plenty of good deadlifters have torn a bicep. I think both Bolton and Benni have torn biceps before. Let me guess Callan you are going to tell them there is something wrong with their deadlift form. Lol.

Good form reduces the chances of injury but will never totally eliminate it.

What were they pulling when it tore?

Apples with apples.

But still going by Callans theory good form and it shouldn't happen.

No matter how good your form is you will never eliminate the chance of injury.

People always say hook grip eliminates bicep tear. It may reduce the chances but I bet people have still torn a bicep with a hook grip.

For what its worth, I find mixed grip helps keep the bar much closer to my legs than i can with double overhand.

We all try to use common sense to minimise injury but I tore a rotator cuff muscle re-racking an empty bar! As with every sport you just have to accept that there's always a chance of being injured, but it sure beats being a weak lardarse sitting on the couch!
Oh... and I try use double overhand up to around 160 odd, then switch up, right hand is always supinated, I've never alternated.

Tape is essential for hook gripping.

Hook grip is not so much a strength thing but rather a game of pain tolerance.

I can;t fathom how anyone would pull with a mixed grip, I can feel the uneven activation across my entire posterior, one trap activating more than the other... weird shit.

I can;t fathom how anyone would pull with a mixed grip, I can feel the uneven activation across my entire posterior, one trap activating more than the other... weird shit.

Why essential? I know I've never taped my thumbs for hook grip.

It's certainly personal preference
As I said before I pull more with mixed grip

Hook grip checking in. You get used to the pain, although I think I've only gone up to 230kg using hook on rack pulls. I can't imagine the pain of a 400kg+ DL like Misha.

I've never taped up for hooking, but I usually only use it once a week.

I always used the same mixed grip, but I'm ambidextrous and can pull either way. Most people who aren't will be naturally stronger or more flexible in their dominant hand, and will find it uncomfortable to do it any other way.

But then my take has always been to avoid over/under as much as possible (i.e. unless you're legitimately trying to pull 1RM). I don't ascribe to the belief that one arm gets overworked in comparison to the other, but it will clearly torque differently and may contribute to SI joint issues, not to mention the fact it does nothing to improve grip strength over reps.

^ you're saying a mixed grip won't improve your grip strength?

Not entirely. I guess I worded it poorly, but my belief is that you should pull with an overhand grip as much as possible and only switch to mixed as you near your max and feel you genuinely can't continue without it.

Obviously lifting heavier will ultimately boost your grip strength, regardless of the grip, but if you're pulling overhand -- in my experience -- it develops at a much faster rate.

I'm a mollydooka my left hand is pronated on the bar my weaker arm is opposite (supinated) ( stronger positioning) stops me from twisting as I fatigue.

I know, but when you post "in my experience" people need to know what your experience is lol.
If you only pulled 140kg, it would really have the same weight.

Anyway, I have never pulled double overhand/hook.

I can hold onto 300+ with no grip issues.