• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Over 40 and loving it!!

vader-nator

Hey Gang,

I have just arrived.

I have been away from full on training for a couple years.

I teach 4th graders and was doing a few sprints and racing them along the basketball court when after a few unkind happy dances my luck ran out.

Beating 4th graders is easy. Even state champions, but don't brag to em about it or karma will get you. On my 3rd run I blew out a hamstring...... off to hospital I went. LOL

As I lay in physio on the leg curl machine, the physiotherapist began to tell my apparently untrained old dude lump of humanity " This is called a leg curl machine" Man was I grumpy.

WAKEUP CALL TIME!

I have trained with Heavy Duty Mentzer HIT stuff since about 1985. Stopped for 2 years and here I was looking like a typical middle aged spread aussie dude!!!! WTF?

There and then I had to try and get my pathetic leg better..... but the weights haunted me. I began putting a lot into my physio. That lead to training.... which lead to looking at my training diaries which has led me to this magic statement.

I think that 40 is possibly the best age for muscle memory come backs.

Back in 1998 I had drug free 51cm arms but never been able to get back to that.

After 2 years off my muscle memory has done something weird. In just 9 weeks of my old Mentzer Training my arms are 50cm and drug free as always.

I am a genuine drug free dude as my dad had prostate cancer and I don't want to activate any potential genes I may have. That's not an excuse or a back hander to other guys.... No judgement from me. I just train for fun. I get along well with everyone.

So here we are at 40 and something is going on.
What is it with 40?

Ever noticed that the big silverback gorilla sized dudes/ foreman on a construction site always are between 40 and 50 years old? ( do less than the others )

I trained hard through my teens, then my 20s, then my 30s but now I am growing like never could before at 40. Did the 2 years off help?

If you are my age and are feeling passed it. Eat well and hit the iron. It may just be a whole new lease on life.

I am having a blast. :)

Good to hear your story.
20 inch arms, amazing !!!

Would be interested to know the rest of your stats.

Good to hear your story.
20 inch arms, amazing !!!

Would be interested to know the rest of your stats.

Thanks Hulk Man,
But stats are over rated. LOL You can obsess over them and look like crap.

Only do the tape measure thingie on my arms for a personal goal.

I used to stand out in a crowd wearing normal clothes.... thought that was all over. Let's see what happens with this 40 thing.

Don't do comps as it's not really my scene. I just like the gym, to work out HIT and to get results in the real world.

Train for the fun of it and to be well.:)

Last edited:
Good on ya mate, good to see you are getting back into it!

That's ok Vader-Nator, but was just interested in your height and bodyweight in general.

20 inch arms are massive on an average height man, but if you were 6'10", not so massive.

Cool,

I am 6ft half inch tall.
Weigh about 107kg and wear 36 to 38 Jeans. Not contest shape by any means.
And drug free for ever due to Dads Prostate cancer. Not tempting fate.

The 20 inch arm is a head game I am using on myself. Sorry if it seems weird. LOL

20 inch pump is after this Mike mentzer set

PRE Exhaust ( Push Down/Dips )
Cable push downs 3 seconds down positive Iso Hold 2 sec then back up for 4 seconds on negative
150Lb x 10 reps (Note. Real 150lb not double pulley winch factor )

20 seconds later

Dips with no weight really slow for about 8 reps 3 secs up 2 sec hold 5 sec down

20 sec later
then cable curls with straight bar on seated rower to forehead. 3/ 2/ 4

100Lb x 10

All done to total eyeball hanging out failure.

Then I'm done. LOL

Have a go at these 425 or 324 reps.
Trick is a slow rep, a 2 second hold then a 1 sec longer negative

Weight is dead and contraction is savage. No momentum or pendulum action. :)

I do most stuff like this these days. Train my muscles not my ego.

Try not to get stuck on some exercises( eg bench) as these reps all take place at the same speed as that last tell tale rep before you fail. You tend to fail without warning as all reps are the speed of a regular set last one. LOL

Does that make sense at all..... LOL?

That's ok Vader-Nator, but was just interested in your height and bodyweight in general.

20 inch arms are massive on an average height man, but if you were 6'10", not so massive.

Last edited:
What's this I hear you say Vader; over 40?! Mate you're just 20 with 20 years of experience that's all. I've got 4 on you...:D!

Fadi.