• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

opinions on "lean gains"

Interesting. I guess you can do it whatever way you like? As long as you get the correct amount of food from the desired groupings? Whether its 5 ot 6 smaller meals? Or 2 massive ones, supplemented with shakes?

I must ask my Uncle what he did for many years, will do that once he returns.

It's interesting to know what everyone's doing and what works for them...it just goes to show, different strokes, for different folks.

I'm a believer that most things work - you just have to find the right 'fit' for you.

Good work gentlemen! Thanks for the info, interesting reading ;)

That's right bella, you must remember that the guy's that walk on stage at 110kg+ have massive amounts of muscle. and it would would be near impossible for them to get their required nutrients from a couple of meals a day.

Personally, I prefer to eat breakfast, smoke-o, lunch, after work and dinner. So 5 meals + 1 shake a day for me. When cutting I swap the lunch meal for a shake and eat a little better on my other meals.

Do what you have to, but do it as comfortably as you can :)

That's right bella, you must remember that the guy's that walk on stage at 110kg+ have massive amounts of muscle. and it would would be near impossible for them to get their required nutrients from a couple of meals a day.

Personally, I prefer to eat breakfast, smoke-o, lunch, after work and dinner. So 5 meals + 1 shake a day for me. When cutting I swap the lunch meal for a shake and eat a little better on my other meals.

Do what you have to, but do it as comfortably as you can :)

exactly.

Great post Mr ;)

How many of us (Skala excepted) are anywhere near 110kg contest shape?
NIL.
We mere mortals should be able to get required nutrients in 2-3 meals with a shake or 2 to make up the protein.

How many of us (Skala excpted) are anywhere near 110kg contest shape?
NIL.
We mere mortals should be able to get required nutrients in 2-3 meals with a shake or 2 to make up the protein.

I agree completely. I know a massive dude (90kg pretty shredded) that does 3 meals a day. I could do it in 2 meals but I get hungry

You also have to take into consideration that fact that you are getting more nutrients and less bad fats by eating healthy foods. Sure you can eat ice cream, maccas and whatever, but if your not eating vegetables and whole grain unprocessed foods, you are much worse off in my opinion than the traditional bodybuilding approach.

I think I was better off before I knew the "truth". Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...

Another thing, from what I can tell most pro's still eat pretty much the old school way..

This always come up as soon as someone mentions eating ice cream or Maccas they always go to the extreme assuming that also means eating zero fruits, veggies and unprocessed foods. Totally wrong. It's not one or the other.

I have ice cream every day. Also have pizza both days most weekends. That does not mean I don't eat veggies and other bodybuilder clean foods. I average over 1kg fruit and veg every day and about 1kg meat every day. Sure I could squeeze in some more veggies instead of ice cream but I am already eating heaps anyway. It's not going to make difference worth worrying about. Being able to eat foods you really enjoy is key to sticking to a diet.

The bodybuilder diet is based around hitting your calorie target and macros. Wether you do that with 2 or 10 meals a day doesn't matter shit. If you sub out some of the BB "clean" foods for some foods you like while still hitting macros and calories again won't make a difference.

God I wish I could eat ice cream without the guit associated.

I haven't had ice cream for about a year now!! lol

Beyond that, I'm not going to comment, because I'm not a BB. But obviously different things work for different people Bazza? And you're doing incredibly well, doing exactly what you're doing, so good on you!!

Please think of me, when eating one mouthful of your delicious ice cream, would greatly appreciate that! lol

This always come up as soon as someone mentions eating ice cream or Maccas they always go to the extreme assuming that also means eating zero fruits, veggies and unprocessed foods. Totally wrong. It's not one or the other.

I have ice cream every day. Also have pizza both days most weekends. That does not mean I don't eat veggies and other bodybuilder clean foods. I average over 1kg fruit and veg every day and about 1kg meat every day. Sure I could squeeze in some more veggies instead of ice cream but I am already eating heaps anyway. It's not going to make difference worth worrying about. Being able to eat foods you really enjoy is key to sticking to a diet.

The bodybuilder diet is based around hitting your calorie target and macros. Wether you do that with 2 or 10 meals a day doesn't matter shit. If you sub out some of the BB "clean" foods for some foods you like while still hitting macros and calories again won't make a difference.

I am all for balance, I eat chocolate every day. I was only mentioning the Pro's diet to reiterate that the there is nothing wrong with the traditional way of dieting, and if you were a seasoned 120kg giant than 6 meals a day would probably benefit you.

I know that macro's are the only thing that matters, but there are still healthy foods and unhealthy foods. I eat maccas once a week (quater pounder meal + big mac) I eat my kids freddo's.

A point;

I used to prepare all my lunch meals on a Sunday with broccoli brown rice and chicken breast. Now I just eat copious amounts of tuna in oil and white bread.

Macros are the same, But I was probably better off before I knew macro's are all that matters for bodybuilding.

I am all for balance, I eat chocolate every day. I was only mentioning the Pro's diet to reiterate that the there is nothing wrong with the traditional way of dieting, and if you were a seasoned 120kg giant than 6 meals a day would probably benefit you.

I know that macro's are the only thing that matters, but there are still healthy foods and unhealthy foods. I eat maccas once a week (quater pounder meal + big mac) I eat my kids freddo's.

A point;

I used to prepare all my lunch meals on a Sunday with broccoli brown rice and chicken breast. Now I just eat copious amounts of tuna in oil and white bread.

Macros are the same, But I was probably better off before I knew macro's are all that matters for bodybuilding.

I never said there was anything wrong with a pros diet. Some of it is just unnecessary.

A question, if I was a 120kg pro why would 6 meals a day be better.

Last edited:
A question, if I was a 120kg pro why would 6 meals a day be better.

Because of the amount of food you would have to eat. It would be a nightmare trying to eat that much food less frequently. That is the only reason, It wouldn't be a good Idea to fast for half the day if you were a pro.

Because of the amount of food you would have to eat. It would be a nightmare trying to eat that much food less frequently. That is the only reason, It wouldn't be a good Idea to fast for half the day if you were a pro.

That is just personal preference, won't make any difference to your results. Doesn't make it better or worse.

I don't fast for half a day I just eat 3 meals a day. It's very easy to eat a shit load of calories in 3 meals a day but again it's just personal preference. Small meals piss me off. I would rather 3 bigger meals than 6 small ones.

That is just personal preference, won't make any difference to your results. Doesn't make it better or worse.

I don't fast for half a day I just eat 3 meals a day. It's very easy to eat a shit load of calories in 3 meals a day but again it's just personal preference. Small meals piss me off. I would rather 3 bigger meals than 6 small ones.

I have 4 big meals and 1 meal is just crackers and cottage cheese. I am a blue collar worker so I do burn a few extra calories during the day. I agree that it's personal preference and it won't make a difference to your results. I can't stand little meals.

All comes down to total cals/macros you are aiming for. Clearly, big dudes wanting to bulk are not going to want to try & fit those cals into 2 meals or whatever.

Smaller people recomping or losing seem to do very well with IF. For me personally, I don't really get hungry until after my first meal (whenever that may be) so leaving it until further in the day works well to stick to my cal/macro targets.

Bellababy: hit the cal/macros with the majority of foods from whole unprocessed sources & if you have room for it eat some ice cream. It won't kill you :) And by the sounds of it, would be good psychologically. We all need diet breaks :)

psychologically....it would heal me completely!!! lolol

Thanks jzpowahz! I'm coming to your house for some of those pancakes please!!!! lololol