• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic vs Standard barbell

username0

Hi guys,
I have a standard 5ft barbell and 120kg of weights in standard form.
Im now pushing 80kg on bench and am considering the need to convert my bar and weights to olympic because of safety reasons.

Is it safe to push or squat beyond 80kg on a standard barbell?

It shouldn't break but it might be uncomfortable. I've used up to 150kg on a standard bar before.

i got a flat bench from rebel sport too, got it before i was seriously training, so no idea what is the rating

Yeh all different standard barbells has different ratings, same as oly, anyone seen oly bend at 80kg?

I highly doubt an oly bar would bend at 80kg. Don't think I've seen one rated less than 300kg.

Standard 6' run of the mill barbells are rated to 150kg.

Also the bar bending isnt a problem, they have an elastic region which the can bend into then bend back. The problem is when there is a permanent bend.

LOL, you'll be fine mate.
I've pulled well over 200kg on a standard bar. You'll bend it WELL before it ever snaps.

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't waste any more cash on standard gear if you're going to stick with lifting, start buying oly.

LOL, you'll be fine mate.
I've pulled well over 200kg on a standard bar. You'll bend it WELL before it ever snaps.

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't waste any more cash on standard gear if you're going to stick with lifting, start buying oly.

Yeah same pulled 220 with standard before got my oly stuff.

There is a standard bar at my gym and it sucks
Especially for stuff like power cleans
So I just use the olympic bars

Have used a standard bar all my life 180kg dead lift, bench 120-130kg regularly bar is still straight as a die, cost $55 brand new rated to 250kg, can't see myself lifting 250kg in a hurry.

I would be more concerned about using a cheap bolt together bench though, I have a Aussie made welded Samson bench, can pick one up for $100-150 usually, great for home gym and you are not risking your life with crappy weak equipment.

Standard bar plenty good enough for the home trainer, oly is nice but not necessary unless you have cash to burn, then go for it. It's like a Corolla will get you there, but a BMW or Merc is nice to have if you have the $$$$:)

Last edited:
Have used a standard bar all my life 180kg dead lift, bench 120-130kg regularly bar is still straight as a die, cost $55 brand new rated to 250kg, can't see myself lifting 250kg in a hurry.

I would be more concerned about using a cheap bolt together bench though, I have a Aussie made welded Samson bench, can pick one up for $100-150 usually, great for home gym and you are not risking your life with crappy weak equipment.

Standard bar plenty good enough for the home trainer, oly is nice but not necessary unless you have cash to burn, then go for it. It's like a Corolla will get you there, but a BMW or Merc is nice to have if you have the $$$$:)

thx for the advice, it will cost me a bit less to buy more equipment and not upgrading to olympic. Im not sure im going to be ever pushing 250kg either, nor 200 for that matter.

I guess if I ever get to that stage Ill know my body is wroth spending more on.

thx for the advice, it will cost me a bit less to buy more equipment and not upgrading to olympic. Im not sure im going to be ever pushing 250kg either, nor 200 for that matter.

I guess if I ever get to that stage Ill know my body is wroth spending more on.

Mate the biggest difference is the sleeves on an oly bar will rotate freely and are a pleasure to use, it's hard to explain but it makes lifts feel fluid where you find with a standard bar there isn't that fluid motion it feels a bit like your fighting the bar. This is especially evident when doing cleans.

I guess you need to weigh up whether it is worth buying more standard gear or take the plunge on olympic now, once you have been lifting for a while you will want to buy oly eventually, it's just how it is I got rubber coated plates but now I really want bumpers, always want something better it's human nature.

Like some said Oly plates and bars are nice to use, and yes the sleeves rotate nicely just like a BMW is nice to drive.

if you don't have a lot of plates, just sell them on eBay and get a oly set, like one of the package deals available out there, all depends on how much you want to spend.

I don't do snatches and cleans either....benches, dead lifts squats and some isolation exercises will do me, not training to compete or lift huge weights, training for well being health for now, have actually reduced some of my lifts recently...getting too old for this crap:)

to be honsest I rarely do cleans / snatches.

I mainly just work on building size.

Just saying eventually your gonna want oly gear if you keep at it so probably not worth spending a fortune on heaps of standard gear. One good thing about standard plates is they are cheap you can buy them at my local steel recyclers for $1 a kilo & I have seen them for even less on online classifieds.