• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic lifts

From what I gather clean strength is based on your squat not your deadlift.
with 40kg I lifted it piss easy then tried with all my might with the jump and only just caught it just above parallel then front squatted it up with ease lol
I guess I just need to build the movement more

It ain't that simple. Your clean strength is based on your clean strength. Squat strength will facilitate getting up out of the bottom of the squat (shock horror) and deadlift strength will facilitate getting the bar off the ground in the first place. For power cleans, squat strength is next to irrelevant, since you don't go down very far to do them. It's just what you can pull. For squat cleans, squat strength does matter, because if you can't squat the weight back up, you be scroughed.

Either way, my 1RM squat is about 140kg, my 1RM deadlift is about 160kg, and my 1RM clean is about 50kg. Obviously my failtastic track record with the Olympic lifts is not caused by any weakness in squatting or deadlifting, it's something to do with my actual Olympic lifting.

On that note, Fadi if you come back to this thread I'd love to know what you where OH squatting in your lifting days?
No one at the AIS ever done overhead squats. In fact I've never heard of them until I first heard about it on Ausbb.

Now, there was an exercsie that we all did and that was snatch balance. That's the closest exercise I think that would resemble an overhead squat (though the emphasis was not on squat but on balancing of the snatch in the low bottom position).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyhuDgmpuU[/ame]

Now that the lower weight classes have been dominated by the Chinese, and that those Chinese lifters utilise the power jerk, I can see a need for an exercise that would be called power jerk balance.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I've seen videos of the Chinese lifters doing snatch balances with over their max jerk

No one at the AIS ever done overhead squats. In fact I've never heard of them until I first heard about it on Ausbb.

Now, there was an exercsie that we all did and that was snatch balance. That's the closest exercise I think that would resemble an overhead squat (though the emphasis was not on squat but on balancing of the snatch in the low bottom position).

Coach Wu-172.5kg Snatch Balance at 69kg Bodyweight - YouTube

Now that the lower weight classes have been dominated by the Chinese, and that those Chinese lifters utilise the power jerk, I can see a need for an exercise that would be called power jerk balance.

Fadi.

Have had a go at these messing around with just a 50kg or so and they are super tough if you haven't mastered that bottom position with a bar over your head. Scary stuff.

I'm surprised that no one in the AIS did the OHS but I guess those guys have plenty more experienced guys than me :p

For training snatch was it simply, just do more snatches? or involving a lot more snatch high pull and fine tuning the smaller parts of the movement?

Have had a go at these messing around with just a 50kg or so and they are super tough if you haven't mastered that bottom position with a bar over your head. Scary stuff.

I'm surprised that no one in the AIS did the OHS but I guess those guys have plenty more experienced guys than me :p

For training snatch was it simply, just do more snatches? or involving a lot more snatch high pull and fine tuning the smaller parts of the movement?

Chinese (coach Wu in particular) would teach snatch with just the broomstick from the age of 8 focusing on technique for 2-3 months then move onto the bar until all aspects of the snatch are just about right while building a base level of strength with squats, deadlifts and pulls. Then they just max out on the lifts most days (ME) and practice form on most days also, normally in an evening session (DE). Only after a few years training when they're starting to stall do they fine-tune the movement. In the case of lacking overhead stability in the squat, overhead squats will be prescribed for newbies and snatch balances for the advanced lifter. Every athlete will also stretch a shitload as this is often the main cause of the stability.
For max effort work, they often to a variation instead of the full lift. Snatches from blocks, hang snatches or pulls are common. Squat snatches will be practiced with DE method from 60-80% although they don't really use a specific perfect, they go on "feel". If the weight goes up easy, they add more weight, if they are struggling then they take some weight off and if it goes up and "feels" just about right then they will do it for more reps.

I'm not saying that this is the only way or the best way but this is how the Chinese do it

Here is a sample Chinese template for the olympic lifts. This works for beginners and elite athletes alike. Obviously beginners will focus more on overall strength and the elites will pick exercises based on their weaknesses:

Monday
Snatch to 1RM (3×3)
CNJ to 1RM (3×2)
Back Squats (5-7 x 3-5)
Clean Pulls (5 x 3)
Behind neck push press (5 x 2-5)

Tuesday
Snatch to 1RM (5-8 x 2-3) – Overhead squat after completion of each rep)
Snatch Balance (5-8 x 1-3)
Snatch Pulls (5-6 x 2-3)
Block High Snatch Pulls with Rebend (6-8 x 2-3)

Wednesday
Clean + FS + Jerk 1RM (5-8 x 2)
Front Squats (5-8 x 1 -3)
Clean Pulls (5-6 x 3)
Behind Neck Push Jerk (8 x 1)
Push Press (5 x 3 )

Thursday
Back Squats to 1RM (6-8 x 2-5)
Snatch 85-90% (2-3 x1)
Clean and Jerk 85-90% (2-3 x1)
Strict Press (5 x 3-5)

Friday
Snatch to 1RM (3 x 1)
CNJ to 1RM (3 x 1)
Snatch Pulls (5 x 3)
Block snatch high pull with rebend (5 x 2-3)
Jerk Drives (8×3) – About the same weight as your max 1RM back squats

Saturday
Front Squats to 1RM (5-6 x 1-3)
Platform Clean Deadlifts (5-6 x 1-3)
Snatch Balance (5-6 x 1-3)
Push Jerk (5×1-3)