• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic lifts

High level Olympic lifters use that theory ^ (not sure on exact numbers).

Basically they just program their squat to a certain level, and know that their C&J will follow naturally.

Hold the bar where you feel most comfortable, it's that simple really. I am not your shoulders, so let your shoulders' flexibility dictate to you where your hand spacing ought to be. I've never been told where to grab the bar or place my feet or anything that should come naturally.

Take care.

Fadi.

Hold the bar where you feel most comfortable, it's that simple really. I am not your shoulders, so let your shoulders' flexibility dictate to you where your hand spacing ought to be. I've never been told where to grab the bar or place my feet or anything that should come naturally.

Take care.

Fadi.

Thanks. Just wondering & speculating here - what weight can you front squat for a triple compared to your C&J?

Dick Notmeyer had a mantra: “If you can front squat it for three, you can clean and jerk it.”

That was what I was referring to earlier btw

Thanks. Just wondering & speculating here - what weight can you front squat for a triple compared to your C&J?

Dick Notmeyer had a mantra: “If you can front squat it for three, you can clean and jerk it.”

That was what I was referring to earlier btw
Wow, world records would be broken left right and center if that was the case! My best clean and jerk done in training was 160kg. My best front squat for reps (around 3 and sets of 2s) would've been in the 180kg arena. Back squats was 190s for sets of 2s and 3s. Funny isn't how few kilos less and you can rep it. But as far as this correlation between front squatting and clean & jerk; that's the first I hear of it.

Most of my big weights were done when I was a lightweight (67.5kg) moving up to the middleweight (75kg) back then.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Olympic Lifting & Powerlifting Program
Bill Starr / Glenn Pendlay 5x5 (Madcow w/ olympic lifts pretty much)

Monday:
Squat: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Bench: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Barbell Row: 5x5 - Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)
Powercleans: 5x5 - Practice Form
Snatch: 5x2 - Practice Form

I would consider chucking your technique work at the start of training. Remember, you need flexibilty thru your lats & pecs to get in to a rack & OH postion.

Wow, world records would be broken left right and center if that was the case! My best clean and jerk done in training was 160kg. My best front squat for reps (around 3 and sets of 2s) would've been in the 180kg arena. Back squats was 190s for sets of 2s and 3s. Funny isn't how few kilos less and you can rep it. But as far as this correlation between front squatting and clean & jerk; that's the first I hear of it.

Most of my big weights were done when I was a lightweight (67.5kg) moving up to the middleweight (75kg) back then.

Fadi.

Haha that's weird yeah, I'm sort of the opposite anything above 3 reps I fucking hate and the weight really drops off. When I deadlifted 190kg I was doing 180kg for a triple and 160kg for 5 lol. Thanks

I would consider chucking your technique work at the start of training. Remember, you need flexibilty thru your lats & pecs to get in to a rack & OH postion.

Ok will do, Pendlay made a few adjustments after further conversations (aesthetic reasons, I wan't quads like Lu Xiaojun :p) and here is the current program I'll be doing:

#2615042 - Pastie

I'll move the form work to the start of the session. I was dicking around with 40kg today and I found it way, way easier to clean the bar then powerclean it. I just couldn't figure out the powerclean but squat cleans was easy as piss. Any reasons for this? Should I just do squat cleans instead of powercleans?

Haha that's weird yeah, I'm sort of the opposite anything above 3 reps I fucking hate and the weight really drops off. When I deadlifted 190kg I was doing 180kg for a triple and 160kg for 5 lol. Thanks

Ok will do, Pendlay made a few adjustments after further conversations (aesthetic reasons, I wan't quads like Lu Xiaojun :p) and here is the current program I'll be doing:

#2615042 - Pastie

I'll move the form work to the start of the session. I was dicking around with 40kg today and I found it way, way easier to clean the bar then powerclean it. I just couldn't figure out the powerclean but squat cleans was easy as piss. Any reasons for this? Should I just do squat cleans instead of powercleans?
I'm a bit like that. I've gotten so used to doing sets of 5 that to do a 6th rep of squats or dedlifts, I have to decrease the weight by like 20kg below what I can do for 5 reps.

As far as squat cleans vs power cleans, if you want to be good at squat cleans, I think it's probably better just to do squat cleans. I find every time I do a squat clean, I then have to relearn power cleans if I go back to them, and vice versa. If I try doing them in the same program, I just end up getting sloppy at both of them.

In saying that, I'm piss weak at all the Olympic lifts. I think it's a mental thing, but the absolute heaviest I've ever cleaned was 52.5kg. The heaviest I've ever deadlifted was 140kg. Bit of a difference there.

From what I gather clean strength is based on your squat not your deadlift.
with 40kg I lifted it piss easy then tried with all my might with the jump and only just caught it just above parallel then front squatted it up with ease lol
I guess I just need to build the movement more

It will depend on whether you are weaker in the pull or the catch position.
ie if you can front squat 200kg it won't help if you can't pull the bar high enough to catch it

It's either Romanian Deadlift or a Romanian High Pull (so kinda like a stiff leg high pull).

I'd tip Deadlift though

Yeah, looking at the program the percentages are based off the clean 1rm. 4x3x80% of your clean is probably a bit much for a high pull but I can see RDLing that easily.

Dunno why it double posted lol

those formulas for what you can clean:f squat I would guess completely take the technique out of the equation (ie you can perform technique perfectly for both movements).

the progressions I teach cleans is
high pull, hang power clean, power clean, hang clean, clean

I'm sure Fadi would have some more to say on teaching methods but i would use a similar method for teaching snatch except swap high pull for OH squat.

On that note, Fadi if you come back to this thread I'd love to know what you where OH squatting in your lifting days?