• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ode to Squat... and 6 tips to improve technique

I just think the best way to improve your squat is to - just squat ( radical approach)

I think I will write and article on it.

here goes;

The best way to improve your squat is to squat. The sets and reps are for you to choose and use are up to you.

The End

Last edited:
What's the best squat variation for strength?
I've been getting great results with high box reverse banded spider bar squats with chains onto foam

Am I the only one who's unimpressed by a circus fat man squatting 2x his body weight 5" high in multi-ply gear and 2.5m wraps?

Since this a thread on squatting here is a question.

I am 38 and squatting hurts my hips. A lot. A f'n lot. After a day of squatting I move like an old man.

I have tried, narrow, wide, high, low. They all hurt my hips.

I have been doing foam rolling and mobility drills for 6 months and while they help, my hips still hurt a lot. So this isn't a cure.

Some options I am considering:
A) Not squatting. Doing DL and lunges instead.
B) Squatting down to a chair. I have a pretty low chair 15-16" tall, nicked from a year 5/6 class, that I can squat down to without significant pain. Maybe its the extra couple of inches causing me all the grief.
C) Suck it up and just live with the pain.

ATM I am following C but am worried about the long term effects of this.

Any ideas? I am kinda leaning towards B as a happy medium.

partial squats or half squats might be a good idea solar? Or perhaps try goblet squats in the interim to continue working on your form?

I mean, many would say, suck it up and keep going. But you shouldn't have ongoing and persistent pain. DOMS are normal to begin with, but most of us know the difference between DOMS and actual 'pain'?

Your mobility and flexibility needs continuous work, it doesn't seem to come quite as easily to men in my experience. I'd drag your butt to yoga personally lol It teaches your body flexibility and full range of movement, which are important to be able to have good form, for anything.

Yoga is great for assistance work...also, usually some hot women to perve at whilst you're there? lol

Just sayin....:)

I am 38 and squatting hurts my hips. A lot. A f'n lot. After a day of squatting I move like an old man.

I have been doing foam rolling and mobility drills for 6 months and while they help, my hips still hurt a lot. So this isn't a cure.

B) Squatting down to a chair. I have a pretty low chair 15-16" tall, nicked from a year 5/6 class, that I can squat down to without significant pain. Maybe its the extra couple of inches causing me all the grief.

a.) do you have any video of your squats mate - front and side

b.) Are you a desk worker - are you seated for the majority of the work day

Try Trap Bar Deadlifts.

You don't need to squat with added weight you know.

Goblet squats is also good as Bella noted, but not partials, bad juju.

Do you get hip pain on a leg press?