• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nutrition for the brain and overall health - TED video

chocchillimango

interesting vid from a medical doctor with MS who successfully treated herself through experimentation with diet.

She researched the impact of various nutrients on mitochondria in her quest to devise a better diet for herself.

from TEDx: [ame="http://youtu.be/KLjgBLwH3Wc"]TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube[/ame]

We tend to look at food as just calories but it's so much more than that and modern science with all it's drugs just treat the symptoms and not the cause.

Awesome, watching now, love ted!

haha me too! Nerds, unite!! :D

We tend to look at food as just calories but it's so much more than that and modern science with all it's drugs just treat the symptoms and not the cause.

Yep, completely true. Food is for pleasure, for fuel and is medicine and undoubtedly so very much more.

You won't cure everything via eating right but it's certainly one of the best things we can do to prevent poor health and decline.

I like this one because it also talks very much about neurologically based illnesses. We so often forget to feed our brain, along with the rest of our bodies ... and how many people consider their mitochondria :)

Interesting watch. I eat greeen leafys, but never eat Kale. I don't even know what recipes to use it in. Is it similar to spinach? May have a kale omlette and see how it tastes :D

Looks like a recipe for CCM :)

I eat kale, my woolies has it. It's from broccoli family. I like to freeze it first before I use it, makes it less bitter and I'm sure it also kills a lot of the good stuff.

I just fry some onions and garlic in olive oil. Add kale to it, fry it until it becomes dark green add egg and fry it for a bit longer, done.

If you are picky eater, try it first by freezing it. If not, eat it fresh.

I eat kale, my woolies has it. It's from broccoli family. I like to freeze it first before I use it, makes it less bitter and I'm sure it also kills a lot of the good stuff.

I just fry some onions and garlic in olive oil. Add kale to it, fry it until it becomes dark green add egg and fry it for a bit longer, done.

If you are picky eater, try it first by freezing it. If not, eat it fresh.

you shouldn't have to freeze it. Kale is just a member of the cabbage family, like cavolo nero. It has a little bitterness but not much. If it's really bitter, it's probably old and not that fresh. Freezing doesn't kill off vitamins but storing it for days in the fridge will.

Interesting watch. I eat greeen leafys, but never eat Kale. I don't even know what recipes to use it in. Is it similar to spinach? May have a kale omlette and see how it tastes :D

Looks like a recipe for CCM :)

hehe and the tragedy is that kale is another wonder food that gives me GI issues. In fact, many of the good stuff highlighted in this video and elsewhere are off my list :mad:

Which is why I'm trying so hard to beat this food intolerance. it robs me of so much good food.

Lots of great kale recipes online, Minchy. you can even make kale chips (or buy the Loving Earth ones).

it's really good. in soup, salads, stir fries, whatever.

Quite a good watch. She is a bit preachy sounding but no doubt because of what she went through.

Its interesting as my mates wife has MS. Once diagnosed someone recommended a paleo style diet...she doesnt much of anything from a packet basically. Costs my a fortune haha...but he's lost a pack of weight and his wife is back almost normal so hes happy.
She rode the sydney to gong this year if thats anything to go by.

can't watch this at work, but i take it the video talks about "brain food" only with some real research to back up the author's claims? interesting...

kale and spinach are awesome in an omelette along with bacon, onion, tomato, whatevs all topped with avocado. that was my staple breakfast for the first half of the year and i do actually miss eating that every day.

any mention of seafood?

Quite a good watch. She is a bit preachy sounding but no doubt because of what she went through.

Its interesting as my mates wife has MS. Once diagnosed someone recommended a paleo style diet...she doesnt much of anything from a packet basically. Costs my a fortune haha...but he's lost a pack of weight and his wife is back almost normal so hes happy.
She rode the sydney to gong this year if thats anything to go by.

so maybe this is not just a one off lucky break for that doctor?

there has to be a link between diet and disease, we know it. sometimes changing our diets back to what it should be can change a life.

so glad your mate's wife is doing so well.

can't watch this at work, but i take it the video talks about "brain food" only with some real research to back up the author's claims? interesting...

kale and spinach are awesome in an omelette along with bacon, onion, tomato, whatevs all topped with avocado. that was my staple breakfast for the first half of the year and i do actually miss eating that every day.

any mention of seafood?

it's all about mitochondria and the impact of diet on them and our health.

all food groups are mentioned.

At the end of the day she basically said dont eat crap processed shit. And do eat ALL of the natural things lol. Sure we on here mostly do this, but probably enough.

At the end of the day she basically said dont eat crap processed shit. And do eat ALL of the natural things lol. Sure we on here mostly do this, but probably enough.

Yep, I think that's the gist of her message too.

Love Kale it also tastes great within a lasagne in between layers or in soup with lean lamb shanks :)

:)

The video was not about kale though but yay kale (if you can eat it, which I can't so boooo :p)

so maybe this is not just a one off lucky break for that doctor?

there has to be a link between diet and disease, we know it. sometimes changing our diets back to what it should be can change a life.

so glad your mate's wife is doing so well.

I've realised that after my trip to Okinawa earlier this year and since that trip I've been changing my diet. Kale, bitter melon and Okinawa sweet potato became my staples.

It was simply ridiculous how many healthy and full of energy 90-100 year old people there are going on about their lives as if they were still in the 50-60s. People in their 100s still working on their farms and climbing trees. Not to mention special competition/games for them which involves running. How many 100 year old people do we see running around in western world?

The funniest thing is, their descendent who moved to Hawaii and are on typical american diet have the shortest lifespans in USA...

Here are some videos about it, they are worth watching and I've found them quiet interesting.

Here's a bit from news about okinawa:
[YOUTUBE]ZwX9Ll19cX0[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a a clip about okinawa from a doco about living to and beyond 100:
[YOUTUBE]xoKLW51Byrg[/YOUTUBE]

And here's the full doco:
[YOUTUBE]aOQ6KBBDftQ[/YOUTUBE]

Medicine is not healthcare.

Food is healthcare.

Medicine is sick care let's all get this straight for a change.

Bullshit statement often used by people promoting quack medicine. Modern medicine treats the symptoms and the cause were possible.

Bullshit statement often used by people promoting quack medicine. Modern medicine treats the symptoms and the cause were possible.

and I call BS on this in the sense that modern medicine often attempts to treat a cause to the detriment of one's health in other areas.

But mostly, it's getting rid of symptoms. Antibiotics rid you of an infection but don't get rid of the bacteria that cause the infection in the first place.

Chemotherapy is another example. And they all have detrimental effects.

That doesn't mean we do without them.

But Goosey and Darkoz are right ... food is a large part of what constitutes healthcare and preventative medicine. you can't stave off death and illness always but you can certainly do your best to dodge bullets by eating right (and moving).

BTW, i just ate a most delicious ORGANIC apricot :D

blows kiss and ducks for cover :)