• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Not doing bench press

John555

Banned
Hi,
I know the bench press is great for building muscle and a big chest. But I am not a bodybuilder looking to add mass, neither am i a powerlifter looking to compete in the bp. For me, the bench press makes me stiff and feels like an unnatural movement?

My goals are athletic based. Sports/boxing.

I have replaced the bp exclusively with mp/oh press. My oh press is now only 10-15kg away from my bench. Whats your thoughts on this?

I normally squat, deadlift/power clean, oh press, chins, pullups.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good work mate.

Military Press is much better than bench for functional strength.

Well done, that man. Avoid bench, make sure your pull is always stronger than your press, and you have a better chance of avoiding shoulder impingement and the like.

Would the bench not be a good exercise to compliment your boxing????

The power of a punch comes from the the hips through the shoulder.

If you look at the punch it resembles the movement of the ohp more than the bp.
Posted via Mobile Device

My goals are athletic based. Sports/boxing.

Then this exercise may be just what the good doctor has ordered. MMA, boxing, and most all martial arts styles require of you to be lightning fast with reaction times that makes your opponent seem as if he's standing still. So to combine strength and speed in one which would deliver a most powerful strike or punch, I'd suggest the exercise below for starters. This powerhouse is done in a very explosive manner, which would serve your boxing purpose to a T. It's explosive push-ups with a clap (or two) at the top.

home-weight-training-explosive-push-up.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
A good bench press will use hip and leg drive, and to use your argument when did you ever need to punch the ceiling like the OHP teaches ?

why not do both? Do you actually box? or just do some boxercise classes?
Heavy bag, pushups, and pullups will be all the arm work required unless you're looking to move up a weightclass in boxing, then bench will help a bit with than.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Chris on here would be most qualified to advise you on generating punching power, he's boxed at an international level.

Listen phuck stick I couldn't give sh1t what you think.

When you throw a punch you don't stand upright you lean into it, the power comes from the centre of the body.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silverback said:
Listen phuck stick I couldn't give sh1t what you think.
So you don't care about the thoughts of someone who's experienced the thing?

I guess when you called yourself "silverback" it wasn't because you wanted us to respect your experience, then?

I guess when you called yourself "silverback" it wasn't because you wanted us to respect your experience, then?

The thing? What are you on about BF?

It's a discussion forum.
I don't care if you respect me or not, I'm just stating facts.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's really no need for anyone to get overly excited here. So let's return to a more civil discussion shall we gentlemen. Thank you for your cooperation.

Fadi.

Hi fellas, great discussion.

Admittedly I am rather "bench-centric", but would not the jab have a predominately arm extension in the horizontal plane (ala the bench press) obviously done much faster of course.

I say do both for optimal development.

Explosive movements using knees to hips to shoulder (or above) preferably one armed and utilizing a rotation at the hips. Anything resembling that would help. You don't need the BP or even MP, there are better bang for your buck exercises out there. Push presses are better, one arm snatches, hitting a heavy bag, actually punching, clap pushups.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi fellas, great discussion.

Admittedly I am rather "bench-centric", but would not the jab have a predominately arm extension in the horizontal plane (ala the bench press) obviously done much faster of course.

I say do both for optimal development.

If you view exercise as a method of reducing injury it will become clear that the bar bell bench press is not a good choice.

If you look at a boxer throwing a knockout punch you will notice his feet position, the angle of his torso and the extension of the arm at contact or impact, google an image.

You want to throw an efficient punch? You train.
You want to reduce the amount of injury?
You design a template of exercise that builds strength.
The standing press builds more shoulder girdle strength than any pushing exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle I will add that I chose silverback for no other reason than I'm older than most here, I have had a passion for this culture for many years, you cannot demand respect it has to be earnt.
I come on here because I like to discuss aspects of exercise, no other reason , I have nothing sell, no agenda.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hardly ever BP anymore.
I have a condition in my thoracic spine (scheurmann's), so it's actually not the ideal exercise for me. The movement feels the most unnatural of all the exercises, for me anyway.

I now do a single arm standing cable push. Standing in a lunge, and using quite a bit of trunk rotation to do the movement.
Standing cable push with both arms is also pretty good. Like crazy Paul Chek in this video :
[YOUTUBE]weBmerBUKY8[/YOUTUBE]
@ 1:20 . He's a crack up! or on crack. One or the other :)

Last edited: