• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I would like to put on 6-7kg just personally anyway. i have a fair bit of play in terms of weight in my division so it wouldn't hurt i do want to put on some size too.

Although, would you recommend starting back from scratch at something like SS or just start with a bit of weight on go slow at 5/3/1 the whole way through?
Fair enough. In that case you may start with either program and after (say) a cycle of 6 weeks, begin to increase the rep range and your carbohydrate intake to match and support both your energy demands and new weight gain.

Hi SWH,

If i can just add to Fadi's excellent advice.
Talking about getting your lifts up. You need to have a purpose. Your mentioning of keeping things sport specific IMO means you need to selecting lifts that will have the maximum carry over to your sport and focus on those lifts and associated musculature. IE i'm a powerlifter so you wont see me doing power snatches...
I dont know alot about the mechanics of BJJ so im finding it difficult to think of the best exercises to utilize, but id be thinking deadlifts would be a great thing...and bench press perhaps not so great, for example.
Reducing the risk of injury would also be a priority id imagine, so working in the high intensity range often (as i beleive 531 can often call for with the amraps) might not be the best way.
You mentioned adding a bit of size too.
Why not run your lifting in blocks. Say 3-4 weeks hypertrophy - using your specific lifts in the 9-12 rep range for 2-4 sets with around 60-70% loads, then deload and run a strength block of 3-4 weeks using 5-8 reps, 3-5 sets with between 70-85% loads. Deload and repeat. In the beginning id err on the side of the lower/easier sets, and as you move along and providing you are recovering well, add one set.

Your training volume is already very high id imagine, so going ahead and adding a random amount of lifting with a random (with respect ro your sport) series of exercise selections may not provide you with the most optimal outcomes that you are after.

Got a question about DOMS. When i started the beginner program (found in the Power lifting/strength training forum) last week, I only had 13kg dumbells (26kg total). I did the work out day 1, day 2 had DOMS, day 3 worked out (DOMS were not as bad), day 4 heaps mad DOMS, and so on and so forth. On Wednesday i did the work out in the gym on site, and got to use heavier weights (60kg SLDL, 65kg Bench), I have slight doms in my chest, back and shoulders, but virtually nothing in the legs.
Does DOMS get less and less the more you work? Or am i doing something wrong?

DOMS is a sign you're training a muscle group too infrequently.

I used to get pretty bad DOMS regularly on a 6-day split. Changed it to a 4-day, with the same volume, and now I very rarely get it.

DOMS is a sign you're training a muscle group too infrequently.

I used to get pretty bad DOMS regularly on a 6-day split. Changed it to a 4-day, with the same volume, and now I very rarely get it.
Tanks all.

Well it has been a few years..... Good to know it gets less the more often you train though.

I don't believe it's an indication you're training a muscle too infrequently.

The frequency with which you train a muscle does seem have an effect on the level of DOMS, but doesn't reflect whether or not that frequency is optimal. It is not a cause of the phenomenon.

Lack of progress may indicate frequency is inadequate, it could also indicate volume or intensity or diet is inadequate. Each individual has to figure out what works for them. This is the challenge.

In saying that I don't believe that training a muscle less than once every 6-8 days is optimal, but many bodybuilders have seen great progress on splits that hit every group once per week, and you will of course get a little overlap between muscles.

You can be training a muscle two or three times a week and still get doms just from changing the way you train and recruiting different fibres so it's not necessarily due to frequency (or lack of)

You'll get doms of the stimulus changes. Volume. Intensity. Frequency. Change any one of those (generally in an upward fashion) and doms will comd say hi.

When a muscle that has not been accustomed to heavy workloads is worked intensely – or for a prolonged period of time at a normal level of intensity – then some degree of muscular soreness will usually result; in some cases, this can be literally crippling in its effects – for as long as a week.

There are a number of rather involved theories regarding the actual physiological causes of muscular soreness; but a detailed understanding of the physical and chemical factors involved is not necessary if we are aware of the cause/effect relationship concerned.

Extreme degrees of muscular soreness almost never result from the execution of a single movement – probably because the muscles involved in the movement are not warmed-up enough to make a maximum effort, and thus are momentarily unable to work hard enough to cause much in the way of soreness, even though the movement may be carried to the point of muscular failure. But some soreness will result from such a movement – and if properly understood, such soreness can be a valuable clue to training progress.

Most bodybuilders sincerely believe that the bench press is a direct exercise for the pectoral muscles – and if an untrained individual performs several sets of bench presses, his pectorals will certainly become sore; but if, instead, the same individual performs only about three heavy sets of one repetition each, little or no soreness in the pectorals will result.

Instead, the anterior portion of the deltoids will become sore – with the possibility of a very slight amount of soreness, simply an "awareness", in both the pectorals and triceps.

And while the bench press is not a direct exercise for any of the muscles of the body – in no sense of the word direct – it will thus be clearly demonstrated that the deltoids are receiving the most nearly direct work from this exercise.

Similar tests can be conducted in order to determine the effects of most types of exercises – with little or no possibility of error; for example –recently, in an attempt to demonstrate the effectiveness of a new type of exercise for the latissimus, we made use of several previously untrained individuals.

Some of these subjects performed only regular chinning movements – others performed only behind-neck chinning movements – a few executed "pulldowns" on a conventional latissimus machine – and so on; the entire spectrum of possible exercises for the latissimus muscles was covered, and a few individuals performed one heavy set of each of the various exercises.

Forty-eight hours later, none of these subjects reported much in the way of muscular soreness in the latissimus muscles – and quite a number of them did not even experience an awareness of their latissimus muscles; however, without exception, all of the subjects were sore in other areas –especially in the arms.

In many cases, this degree of soreness was so great that the subjects were almost unable to use their arms for several days.

Another group of subjects performed several sets on a new type of latissimus machine – and without exception, these subjects were sore in the latissimus muscles; other areas of soreness occurred in gradually reducing degrees in the pectorals, the trapezoids and the abdominals – which is exactly the result we anticipated.

Several subjects reported soreness in the triceps muscles of the upper arms, but they were in understandable error in this belief; the apparent triceps soreness that they reported was actually soreness of the latissimus attachments at the points where these muscles join the upper arms – directly below the mass of the triceps muscles.

In this last group of subjects, no actual arm muscle soreness of any kind was reported – in strong contrast to the results produced in the other groups. Thus, should you have any question about the effectiveness of a particular exercise, it is quite easy to make use of muscular soreness as a means of testing the exercise; simply avoid any sort of exercise for that particular muscular area of the body for a period of at least ten days, then perform only three heavy sets of one repetition of the exercise in question.

Within forty-eight hours, you will have a clear answer to the question. If a muscle is being exercised regularly, it will quickly become so accustomed to heavy workloads that it will be almost impossible to induce even a slight degree of muscular soreness; thus, if muscular soreness is produced in an area of the body that has been trained for as long as a week, this is a clear indication that you have not been training hard enough – or that you have been performing the movements improperly.

Advice please peoples ..... Been at the gym seven months, 4 - 5 times per week, gone from 81kg to 87kg, body fat unchanged at around 21% but strength & size greater. I think the time has sadly come to get % body fat down, any good places to look re dietary advice? And please don't suggest do more cardio, I think I'd rather spend time in the dentist chair rather than do endless bloody cardio sessions

Advice please peoples ..... Been at the gym seven months, 4 - 5 times per week, gone from 81kg to 87kg, body fat unchanged at around 21% but strength & size greater. I think the time has sadly come to get % body fat down, any good places to look re dietary advice? And please don't suggest do more cardio, I think I'd rather spend time in the dentist chair rather than do endless bloody cardio sessions

Dieting is not rocket science and can be done in a calculated fashion, by the numbers, without too much stress. Spend a week minimum recording the value(s) of everything you eat, body-weight first thing in the morning, figure out your approx maintenance then formulate a plan and adjust from there.

Have a read of some of Lyle Mcdonald and Eric Helms' diet/nutrition material. It's honest, by the numbers no BS methodologies.

7 months training? Id keep training for mass gains if not getting fatter. Keep taking advantage of noobie gains

Tim.

Eat less

Last edited by a moderator:
Dieting is not rocket science and can be done in a calculated fashion, by the numbers, without too much stress. Spend a week minimum recording the value(s) of everything you eat, body-weight first thing in the morning, figure out your approx maintenance then formulate a plan and adjust from there.

Have a read of some of Lyle Mcdonald and Eric Helms' diet/nutrition material. It's honest, by the numbers no BS methodologies.
Sound advice here.
Although after just a short period of time training, you should continue to build muscle while you can. That shit won't get any easier later. Ride the wave now before it flattens out.

No need to read anything, you've mapped it all out well shit-lips.

Sound advice here.
Although after just a short period of time training, you should continue to build muscle while you can. That shit won't get any easier later. Ride the wave now before it flattens out.

No, if the numpty is building adding muscle and carrying too much fat, then he needs to reduce his calories.

its far safer and effective to gain muscle than to try and "start a fucking cut", you start doing this and neck minut, eating disorder sets in.