• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New Training Program

gareer

Hey guys, It's time for me to start a new routine, and I enjoy the four day training split that i do. So far i'm doing a chest tri's/back bi's/legs/shoulders split. Would anyone be willing to help me right up a new split to train with? Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

Gareer

Cheers, i had a look through them but none of them are quite right/alot of the links are down anyway.

Gareer

My goal is to get to atleast 82kg (~75kg atm) and my best lifts are 77.5kg for 6 reps. Squat 135kg for 6 reps and deadlift 115kg for 6 reps. My main goal is size so far, generally im pretty lean and im looking to put some more size on for my height (I'm 6ft 1).

Gareer

Thats not lean thats skinny! So you are really just going for size? Look at NPR he was pretty much what you are like now when he started now he is 30kg bigger. He didn't do splits though, he ate a lot and worked out a lot. Really its what you are going to stick to that matters but I would say a full body program would be a good change of pace or you, you could even do a 4 day a week program if you are eating right.

Size and strength but mainly just size, my goal physique is frank zane (my idol). I find it hard to utilise the full day programs and generally just prefer the 4 day a week programs because i feel a bit lazy if i dont do atleast something every day in terms of exercise. And skinny? lol dave you have no idea how bad I used to be, 60kg was my worst at one point. It was kind of shocking, but i've improved amazingly since then. Are there any particular 4 day splits i should be looking at? And what do you find is the best combo of splits? e.g. Chest/Tris, Back/Bi's? or another?

Gareer

As Dave has stated, do a full body routine 4 days a week providing you eat enough foods to go with the training. As many has said, you need a base to start of, then you can add whatever you like once the foundation is built.

First off

Size and strength but mainly just size, my goal physique is frank zane (my idol).
Good idol you choose 10 points for you :D

I find it hard to utilise the full day programs and generally just prefer the 4 day a week programs because i feel a bit lazy if i dont do atleast something every day in terms of exercise.

You can do a 4 day full body program if you want or you can go upper lower 4 day split or push pull (like this better) or you could just go full body and divide up a good amount of volume between the days (2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off). I personally deadlift and bench one day + assistance work, then have a day off, then do a 8-12 rep day, day off, squat and MP day + assistance then do a strongman type day (as I find it fun bit of throwing and heavy holds, repetitive unstable load lifting). Seriously after doing a split for a while (you still have a good base going for you) you could probably do with some more frequency for a bit. Give it 12 weeks on a full body and then reassess.

And skinny? lol dave you have no idea how bad I used to be, 60kg was my worst at one point.

I had a guy on my basketball team who was about 6'4 and 65kg that was skinny.

Last edited:
Having some lols here.

Dave: 80-90kg for his height is fine, especially at 10-12% bodyfat. I've got up to 95kg before, you cant even get into a ****ing pair of jeans ><

Kapow: 4 full body days, that is 4 squats, 4 deadlifts and likely >9000 arm exercises (added in for good measure) is probs going to fry him.

OP: Your goal to look like zane is moronic because zane is perhaps the greatest bodybuilder of all time. Your goal should be to fulfill your own potential, and adding a lean 10-15kg to your frame is the best way to do that.

Check out either PTC's beginner routine or Rippetoe's Starting Strength for some tried and tested methods that will get you there. On that fourth day go for a walk, meet some girls, or do something else with your time.

Oliver he is 75kg not even close to 80kg yet. If he hit 85kg then he is doing well, 90kg is fantastic. I think he meant Zane is the right size for him, not as big as arnie and nowhere near freaking ronnie style etc. I am sure he knows he will not look like that.

Also do not squat and dead every day (take a seperate day off once a week for each) if you choose a 4 day full body and keep below Oli's 9000 arm exercises please 8800 is a good number I think. Seriously what he said is important divvy up the volume a bit do not just add more and more on.

lol agreed with above.

Only difference if I were him is that I'd do a set 3 day full body program rather than throwing concepts like lower body and upper body (as simple as they are) are just going to confuse him and he's likely not going to pick the right exercises or gain as fast as he could.

I dont get the whole 'i want a 4 day program' thing when 3 works fine. Why be in the gym 4 times a week if you can get better results on 3?

Some people need to do things constantly otherwise they drop off, more a psychological thing than a physiological need. I train 4 days because of how I structure my training, plus I like 4 days anymore and I am doing too much though. But I adjust it as I go if I feel volume is too high, I just listen to my body.

Also Gareer just for you, if you still do a split program and forgo the earlier advice can you please hit each bodypart twice a week do not go towards a 1 day a week split. Also you do chest and then shoulders... let me guess chest is a lot of benching and shoulders is a lot of pressing then isolation work for each and it goes mon tue off thur fri? Might be two much volume for your delts (front delt head overload) in your original workout if this is the case. If it isn't I would be very happy to hear that but you could be walking right towards some overuse injuries in your shoulder, not good.

Can I draw up a 4 day template if we must do one?

Monday - SQUAT DAY
3x5 Squat
3x10 Lunges OR leg press
3x15 Hanging leg raises

Tuesday - BENCH DAY
3x5 Bench
3x10 dumbell press OR incline press
3xfailure pull ups

Thursday - DEADLIFT DAY
2x5 Deadlift
1x10 Stiff legged deadlift OR good morning (go easy on this)
3x15 Weighted sit ups

Friday - PRESS DAY
3x5 Overhead press
3x10 dumbell overhead press OR dips
3x10 bent rows

Thanks for all the great replies so far, and no Oli i dont have a miscontrued idea that I can be exactly like Zane, It's more about motivation and choosing someone who has an aesthetically pleasing physique which is what im aiming for (but within my own bodies capabilities). I think I will try a full body workout 3 or 4 times a week and see how my body goes with it (I'm young yet, if I make a mistake i just learn and keep going). And @Dave, I used to be a competitive swimmer so my shoulders have a taken a bit over the years and they seem to be coping fine, however I will take that into consideration. Current workout is Push (Chest/Tri's) Monday, Pull (Back Bi's Tuesday), Rest Wed, Thursday (legs), Shoulders/abdominals and cardio - friday. Friday is generally a pretty light day as I dont wanna overload my shoulders. And yeh dave you hit it right, its a psychological thing more than anything else, i enjoy going to the gym as it really clears my head.

Gareer

Size and strength but mainly just size, my goal physique is frank zane (my idol).

Gareer
It's great to have goals but you have set the bar way to high. Frank Zane is a former Mr Olympia and physiques such as Franks are not easy to achieve. Although on the smaller size compared to other Pro Bodybuilders he still have plenty muscle mass.
Good Luck though.

Great thread.

This may come as a shock, but the skinnier you are the LESS you need to train.

At 6'1" and 75kg, your a twig.

For those that dont know, ALL exercise is catabolic.

Gyms for strength, kitchens for size.

I know your bodybuilding magazine wont tell you, they want you to buy next months edition, with the killer article on sharpening you intercostal/serratus tie in.

Do you read anything on here gareer?

All I can add to this "good thread"...

Instead of asking for some routine, make up something of your own, post it, if that does it for you and report back the results, if you get any...if you don't, try something else...you young blokes have got your whole lives in front of you to try and experiment, what's the rush?.

For this reason It tickles me when I see trainees ask other forum members for routines over the internet.

Take charge, and be responsible for your own life.
Be your own expert - for your own body, empower yourself by reading as much as you can.

Instead of trying to fit four workouts in a week, consider just resting however long enough it takes between workouts...view the workouts as A, B ,C and D rather than days of the week.
Recovery for a skinny young person is your enemy.

Last edited: