• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to weight training

S

sage26

Hi All,

I'm new to weight training but have been regularlyexercising for about ten months. I have lost 21kg in the last 10 months goingfrom 87kg to my current weight of 66kg. I'ma 40 year old female and 170cm tall. My weight loss was achieved through a lowcalorie diet (1200 cal daily) and exercising 4 -5 days a week, mainly cardio(jogging, bootcamp style classes, DVD's). Over the last two months I startedthe Chalean Extreme program as an introduction to weights and loved it :) I'mstarting to see some definition but I now want to take it a step further.

The last two months I have taken a break from caloriecounting and eaten more but generally still eating healthily. I have maintainedat 65-67kg during that time. I'm now wanting to lose a few more kilos (I'maiming for around the 60kg mark which was my weight in my early twenties) andto gain strength and definition.

I should point out that the majority of my training is doneat home due to restraints with kids and timing. The only equipment I have are variousdumbbells and a barbell at home which I've been using for the Chalean Extremeprogram. I don’t have a weight bench, but could probably improvise one. I haveaccess to a gym once per week on Saturdays and occasionally on Sundays as well.Upper body I'm currently lifting between 5-8kg, depending on the exercise. Ifind my shoulders and triceps are my weakest points. Lower body, squats, lungesetc I'm doing about 15-18kg. That doesn’t sound like much compared to some ofthe others on here but we've all got to start somewhere :) So now I'm wonderingwhere do I go to from here - any recommendations?

If your primary goal is to lose weight and you are eating a low calorie diet, keep up the cardio and introduce some HIIT training if you are not already doing it. A low calorie diet will not see you gain alot of strength quickly, but very slowly/gradually after newbie gains are exhausted.
Im not sure of your home equipment but if you can invest in some Kettlebells these will be a benefit to full body conditioning.

I would be looking into a few pt lesson before i joined a gym i did body weight exercise like push ups squats lunges i purchased a most fit strap a few months back it's like trx but about $50 shipped as my hubby got a new on call job so i just chuck my most fit strap over the door i use it if I'm wanting to fit in a workout but can't make to the gym but I'm slowly getting a garage set up happening so i can get rid of membership