• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to the country, bulking food sources needed

AdamJ

So I'll be flying into the country this month to stay for a year to study. I eat on a 4000 cal diet and normally eat a mass gainer shake for half that then beef, chicken, fish and eggs for the rest.

Obviously I've noticed that mass gainers are much more expensive on an island so I'm looking for alternatives. So far Ive found that a combo of whey sustain release and oat mass (hated grinding my own oats at home) from bulk powders should be good.

Eggs I'm assuming will be cheap as usual. Whats a good cheap not to dirty red meat? How cheap is mince kangaroo compared to beef? Cheaper than pork? How are your fish prices? Whats a good cheap abundant fish? Chicken is my staple so I guess I'll pay whatever for that.

Basically I'm looking to get an idea of what main proteins I can buy to follow a 40/40/20 macro split on a limited budget, I have never liked eating on the first place so I don't care if It tastes good or not, I don't eat for fun, I eat to gain weight.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Where are you from? Cheap is a relative term.

Roo is cheap, high in iron, protein and low in fat. The mince is easy to cook, the steaks are a bitch.
Chicken breast is about $15 a kilo, can find it cheaper in bulk or on sale.
Rump steak anywhere from 12 - $20 a kilo. (a kilo is 2.2pounds)
Beef mince $10/kg.
Free range eggs $5 a doz.
We eat a lot of lamb - anywhere from $10 - $25/kg depending on the cut.
Lots of fish around, Salmon is $20-ish a kilo, cheap white fish $15 a kilo.
You can buy mass gainer proteins for $100 for 3kg in a shop, cheaper online.

other than the obvious canned fish, tuna, salmon, sardines etc, if you want fillets you can't go past mackerel, relativelly cheap compared to stuff like coral trout and the like, and easy to cook (grills very well). Wouldn't be as cheap as chook but, i catch my own so i don't have to worry about prices

Coming from Canada, prices seem generally on par with us, A little more expensive, namely beef mince and eggs. Mass gainers are approximately $90 for 6.75 kg here to.

Overall prices don't look to bad I suppose.

I would do the milk thing except that It turns my stomach into something no one wants. I use soy milk in my shakes.

Fillets is what i was looking for, thanks!

get rid of the soy milk it lowers testosterone, go for rice or oat milk if you don't want dairy.