• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to gym, getting fit & big

G

gr8bob

The name's Jason, currently reside in Adelaide and I've been meaning to get myself back into shape but never had the courage nor the motivation to actually made an effort to do so.

A little bit of history about myself. I've always been a bit on the tiny/skinny side when I was a kid and not until I reach puberty where I gained a lot in height. Despite that, I still feel tiny as I wished that I would have had a generally wider physical frame instead.

I was not much of an active boy. I never played much sport aside from the odd basketball for a year or two about two years ago and cycled for a KM or two almost every day when I was 12 years old for a year.

Without much knowledge (on bodybuilding that is) back then, I wasn't really making any progress towards my goal. Now that I'm 21 and 6' 2" in height, last weighed approx. 86KG, I have not really made any gains since I was 17.

I'm looking forward to any advice, comments or encouragement in my pursuit to achieve my goals:

1. Build up my strength and stamina
In my opinion I don't really have much of a stamina. And I think my asthmatic history is not helping either. The shameful bit is that I can't even do a complete push up. :(

2. Bulk up!
The way I look at it is that it would help me immensely with my self-confidence (I'm skinny, remember?) and at the same time achieving the goal of having a nicer physique.

3. Maintain my health
Don't think I want to have a heart attack when I'm in my 30's.

-------------

Now that I've laid down my goals, I'm interested in some advice and possibly some guidance towards me joining a gym as I'm currently having my Uni holidays.

Anyone knows any decent (not too expensive) gyms in Adelaide? I'm currently staying in Edwardstown but don't really mind the trip into the city as I go to uni three days a week.

Last edited:
Gidday Jason, and welcome.

When you are completely untrained, it's best to start out of a gym, doing what they call "general physical preparedness." There are five legs to the health and fitness table.
  • Diet
  • Resistance training
  • Fitness training
  • Flexibility
  • Sleep
If any of the five is dodgy, the whole table wobbles.

Diet
  • No smoking or illegal drugs
  • Not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than four on one day
  • Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies
  • Eat lots of nuts and beans
  • Eat some meat or fish, or if vegetarian or not flush with cash, some dairy
  • If you want to put on weight, eat lots of starchy stuff - spuds, rice, pasta, bread. If you want to lose lots of fat, avoid eating starchy stuff.
You can get more specific than that, but for someone looking to put on weight, "lots" is enough to say. If you are ever hungry then you are not eating enough!

Resistance training
Test yourself, see how many of the following exercises you can do:
  • Pushups - preferably from the feet, but you can do them from the knees, too; when you can do 10 knee pushups you should be able to do 3-4 full pushups
  • Situps - lie on your back with your legs at a right angle, and your feet anchored by a person or under a couch or something. Curl your upper body towards your knees with your hands stretched out - that's a curl, not keeping your upper body flat. When your wrists pass your knees, go back down slowly.
  • Supine pullups, aka inverted rows - get a couple of chairs, put them about a metre apart and lie a broomstick across them, where the back of the chair meets the seat. Lie underneath the broomstick with it above your upper chest. Reach up, grab the broomstick with both hands and pull yourself up until your chest touches the stick or as close as you can manage, then lower yourself back down.
  • Squats - stand with your feet angled at 45 degrees shoulder-width apart. Cross your arms, putting your left hand on your right shoulder and vice versa. Lift your elbows, holding your arms parallel to the ground. Now squat straight down without lifting your heels until the backs of your legs touch your calves. Now stand up slowly. That's a squat. If you find your heels rise or you cannot go below parallel with your upper legs, spread your feet a bit wider until you can go all the way down without raising your heels.
Write how many of each of those exercises you can do. Take that number, and halve it - round up, so if it's just "1", halving it becomes "1", too. That's your work number for each exercise. Doing that many repetitions (movements, called "reps") in one go we call a "set".

Now do each exercise for three sets. For example, let's say you could do
Knee pushups, 4
Situps, 6
Supine pullups, 2
Squats, 8

You'll do
Knee pushups, 3 sets of 2
Situps, 3 sets of 3
Supine pullups, 3 sets of 1
Squats, 3 sets of 4

Do this routine three times a week with a day's break in between, for example on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Each week, add 1 rep (movement) to each set, for example if in Week #1 you're doing 3x 2 knee pushups, in Week #2 you can do 3x 3, in Week #3 3x 4, and so on.

If one session you can't add a rep, that's okay, just try again in the next session. If in a whole week of sessions you can't add a rep, take two reps away and go for it. For example, if you did 3x 8 squats, but when you came to do 3x 9 on the first set you just couldn't do the 9th rep, and you couldn't do it in any of the three sessions that week, then next week go for 3x 7 and build up again. It's like parallel parking, if you can't get in, you pull out and came in again at another angle.

As I said, when you can do 10 knee push-ups, see how many full pushups you can do. The other three exercises will help in this, since part of a full pushup is being able to hold your core (your belly and lower back, upper legs) in position.

Your ultimate aim is to be able to do 20 each of full pushups, situps, supine pullups and squats. If you keep at this routine, even starting with 1 of each and allowing for bad weeks it should take at most 6 months. But probably only 3 months.

Before and after each workout, drink a big glass of milk with an egg in it. This gives you fuel for your pushing and pulling, and material to build muscles.

Fitness
Go to google maps and check out your neighbourhood. Find some round trips from your home and back which are 1km, 2km, 3km, 4km, 5km and 6km. Note them down.

Go out for a run. When you have to stop and can't run any further, note where you've stopped, and when you get home figure out how many kilometres that was. In your first fitness work you'll be walking that many kilometres.

Weeks 1-6, walking
You'll be going for walks three times a week, on alternate days from your resistance training. For example if your resistance training is Mon/Wed/Fri, walk on Tue/Thu/Sat.

In the first week, walk that distance you could run in the test, minimum 1km. Walk briskly, just fast enough to make you feel your heart beating, your face flush, and sweat a little bit. It's probably about 6km/hr, so you should be able to do the walk in 10 minutes.

In the second week, add another 1km, for a minimum of 2km. In the third, add 2km to make at least 3km, and so on. By the sixth week you should be walking 6km in under an hour. Take your puffer with you ;)

Weeks 7-12, jogging
This is the same as weeks 1-6 except that you jog instead of walk. Week #7, jog 1km, week #8, jog 2km, and so on. The jog should be like the walk originally was, it raises a sweat but does not kill you.

If in any session you have to stop, you simply can't walk or run further, then just try again next session. If you have a whole week of sessions where you can't make it, then drop 2km from your distance (down to a minimum of 1, obviously) and do that the next week.

If you find any of the walks or runs easy one session, just do them a bit faster next time.

If you can, do other walks and bicycle rides, too. For example if you live 1km from shops and normally drive, take a backpack and walk instead. If you are 3km from work and normally drive, walk or cycle instead.

Your ultimate aim is to be able to run 6km in under 45 minutes.

Before and after each walk/run, drink a big glass of milk with an egg in it. This gives you fuel for your legs, and material to build muscles, heart and lungs.

Flexibility
After each workout, strength or fitness, work on some stretches. Hold each stretch for a count of 30 breaths.

Back/hamstring - touch your toes. Every five breaths or so, as you breathe out you may be able to get further down.
Inner legs, sides - put your feet shoulder-width apart, your arms up in the air, and tilt to one side for 15 breaths, then to the other for 15 breaths. Next time, put your feet slightly further apart.
Calves - put your hands against a wall, and one foot back with the toes on the ground, now push your heel down, feel the stretch in your calf. Then the other leg.
Chest - stand in a doorway with your hands at shoulder height against the frame, lean forwards. Feel the stretch across your chest.
Arms - stretch your arms out to your sides, pushing your elbows straight as they'll go. Inner elbows to the sky, palms to the ground, turn your hand downwards, you'll feel a stretch in your forearm and bicep.
Upper back - touch your right shoulder with your left hand, put your right hand on your left elbow, and pull the elbow toward the body. Then the other one.
Neck - just tilt it to the right for 10 breaths, left for 10, forward for 10, and up and back for 10.

That should take about 10-15 minutes in all.

Sleep
Always try to get to bed to sleep before midnight, and up before 8am. The sleep we get after midnight is not as good as the sleep we get before it, it's just the way our body works with the sun and hormones and stuff. Never have coffee after 6pm, or alcohol after 8pm, it'll keep you awake.

Journal
I snuck a sixth one in while you weren't looking ;) Unless you are morbidly obese or malnourished underweight, toss out the scales. It's possible to be (say) 90kg and buff, and 90kg and fat. The scales don't tell you much. Instead, take photos of yourself, and once a month take measurements of neck, chest, waist, hips, upper arms, forearms, thighs and calves.

In the journal, write down everything you eat, and the exercise you do, how you feel that day, and your measurements. In this way, you get an idea of your progress, of how different foods affect your mood and energy, and so on. Otherwise it often feels like nothing's happening - it is, it's just not happening so quickly you can notice in a day or two.

Conclusion
By following this programme, within 6 months you should be able to do 20 or more pushups, situps, prone pullups and squats, and run 6km in under 45 minutes. You'll also have decent flexibility.

You'll then be ready to go to a gym and do some heavy lifting. You may be tempted to rush the programme, but don't. Build a solid base of strength and fitness for yourself. Use the 3-6 months this will probably take you to look for an excellent local gym, or saving money so you can buy equipment for your own home gym.

Best of luck, any questions just jump in.

Last edited:
I don't think so, modo.

A programme like this is for someone who is physically unfit and with a poor diet, either a young person who's never done sports, or a person in their 30s or 40s who's been basically sitting on their bum since they were 21. It's general physical preparedness.

Anyone can just walk into a gym, but people new to it tend to do too much there since they don't yet know their limits, hurt themselves and not come back. It's best to start slow.

In your case, modo, I think it very likely that the issue is mental and attitude. People give you shit so you feel down. Mind and attitude matter more than anything. That's why records are set at Olympics but not a week before in training. But let's keep this focused on gr8bob and his GPP.

Last edited:
Thanks. In the light of course materials and interactions with people I'm helping, I'm refining my ideas and approach, trying to keep it all as simple and yet interesting and useful as possible.

VERY good post Kyle as always, I was scrolling down going "is this post ever going to end..."

10/10.

Hey Kyle, really appreciate the effort and your advice. It's always good to have some good words of encouragement and some guidance.

Well, I will start off with a journal soon and try to keep everything in check.

Tried to do some push-ups (erm, I mean girly push-ups) today and here's what I can achieve in one stretch before fatigue sinks in.

(Knee) Pushups - 5
Situps - 10
Squats - 5

So that means 3 x 3 sets of pushups, 5 x 3 sets of situps, 3 x 3 sets of squats to start things off am I right?

Diet
  • No smoking or illegal drugs
  • Not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than four on one day
  • Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies
  • Eat lots of nuts and beans
  • Eat some meat or fish, or if vegetarian or not flush with cash, some dairy
  • Where's the carbs? Jason I would eat plenty of carbs if you really want to bulk up, rice, potatoes, oats and wholemeal pasta and don't be afraid to slam the meat down. Fish, chicken and red meat, turkey, it's all good.

• Where's the carbs? Jason I would eat plenty of carbs if you really want to bulk up, rice, potatoes, oats and wholemeal pasta and don't be afraid to slam the meat down. Fish, chicken and red meat, turkey, it's all good.

Cool. Noted.

(Knee) Pushups - 5
Situps - 10
Squats - 5

So that means 3 x 3 sets of pushups, 5 x 3 sets of situps, 3 x 3 sets of squats to start things off am I right?
To be clear:- A "rep" is a "repetition", one movement, like pushup - down and then up. A "set" is a group of reps. So 1x 3 means "1 set of 3". 7x 8 means "7 sets of 8."

So it'd be,
Pushups, 3x 3
Situps, 3x 5
Squats, 3x 3
Prone pullups 3x ?

Don't forget the prone pullups. They develop your upper back, bicep and forearm strength. Sometimes local parks will have the equipment,

pull.jpg

or there might be a fence nearby you could use. If not, like I said you can whack a broomstick between a couple of chairs and use that.

I would probably do just sets of 3 reps for everything, it's a hassle to remember to do 3 of this and 4 of that and 6 of the other thing. But that's up to you, it's not really important.

Shrek said:
Where's the carbs?
Shrek is absolutely right. Eat lots of spuds, rice, pasta, bread and so on.

I didn't mention it because I basically take it for granted that the average Aussie will eat lots of that stuff.

"Eat more fish and chips!"
"Oh no, do I have to?"

Thanks for the advice Kyle, posted a training log somewhere on the forum.

I look forward to reading it and seeing your progress.

A workout journal, the pictures and measurements - you should have them, but they don't have to be public. If it's private it's useful for you to get an idea of your progress, and start getting in tune with your body.

Some people keep a log book in the car, note how much petrol they put in and how many kilometres they get from it. So if one week they got 300km from a tank and next week got 400km, they can ask themselves, what was different, and it helps them adjust their driving or check up on the vehicle if necessary.

It's the same with a workout journal.

I also find it help me stay accountable to myself. If I miss a workout or two or eat some junk I can't kid myself, it's there in writing. Making it public makes it more accountable still. We will nag you :D But that's up to you, not everyone is happy to splash their measurements and pictures everywhere.

Oh hey,

I'm planning to start training seriously in the coming weeks after I buy some new equipment. Currently, I have a low-quality Kmart standard barbell with 'screw-on' ends (is that what it's called?) that doesn't quite fit in my new power rack.

So, I'm looking at buying a new olympic/power barbell. The question I have is, should I buy a relatively cheap one for under $200.00 that I would replace eventually, or should I just splurge and buy a high-quality one for over $500.00 that could potentially outlast me?

The one at which I'm currently looking is the Australian Barbell Company BOP220 for around $560.00 (they seem to be held in very high regard on this forum). My father called me an 'idiot' for considering paying that much for a barbell (mind you, he thought a good one would only cost $30.00) as did many friends.

But, I feel that it would be presumptuous to spend so much on a barbell considering I'm only a beginner. What do you all think?

Cheerio.

Last edited:
standard bulking advice
60% carbs/30% protiens/10% good fats

or
eat everything in sight (not dohnuts or cake :D)...

Oh hey,

I'm planning to start training seriously in the coming weeks after I buy some new equipment. Currently, I have a low-quality Kmart standard barbell with 'screw-on' ends (is that what it's called?) that doesn't quite fit in my new power rack.

So, I'm looking at buying a new olympic/power barbell. The question I have is, should I buy a relatively cheap one for under $200.00 that I would replace eventually, or should I just splurge and buy a high-quality one for over $500.00 that could potentially outlast me?

The one at which I'm currently looking is the Australian Barbell Company BOP220 for around $560.00 (they seem to be held in very high regard on this forum). My father called me an 'idiot' for considering paying that much for a barbell (mind you, he thought a good one would only cost $30.00) as did many friends.

But, I feel that it would be presumptuous to spend so much on a barbell considering I'm only a beginner. What do you all think?

Cheerio.
One of the best feelings you can get is out growing your own weight set. Start small mate make sure you can proove yourself committed to training before you splurge on that. Even if you are committed not I'm sure you can pick up a used one somewhere. Brand names??? Who cares when you starting out.

Good post Kyle, I will have my untrained but slightly fit girl friend starting at the gym with me soon and I might have her do something similar to that for a few weeks before hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

BTW way your father is th idiot he should be encouraging your new interests instead of calling you an idiot. Ok 500 is a bit much but if you do really get into this you'll make it work every cent. Try little blokes fitness one of the ausbb sponsors or hit up google got used bar bells
Posted via Mobile Device