• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New Routine

PTC...i've been wanting to ask you for a while now....in terms of the number of sets, you've alluded that it's not overall important to development. The number of reps is more specific to goals (strength, speed, endurance, mass et al) but the number of sets....would you say it's open ended, as long as you constantly add one more weight, a set or a rep ? That's the impression i get from Starting Strength anyway

PTC said:
Hate to break it to you guys but these exercises are decades old. Every single concievable set/rep scheme has been done before, a long time before.
Yes, I saw that when I looked at Hack's book (1935, I think), there's a review of that sitting around but after the zero response to my review of Sandow I put it aside and didn't bother posting it.
guys like Wendler, Rippletoe, the weak tiny dude from Starting Strength
Rippetoe wrote Starting Strength. You are probably thinking of Mehdi from Stronglifts.com.

PB, all I look for in my lifters is effort. I really dont give a stuff about reps and sets for most lifts.

On 20 rep squats and 1RM, I care. Everything else is irrelevant. I give the lifter a target rep during a set. Say its 7, if he makes 3 and fails on the 4th, I dont care, in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter.

Could everyone that quotes programs to me please quote the ORIGINAL author or dont post names at all, ripp, med etc mean nothing to me. If you dont know who first put that group of exercises together, then leave any name out, its pointless. They just group old exercises together, give a magic rep/set scheme and presto, instant gains.

Strength - lift more weight today than yesterday
Speed - lift it faster
Endurace - lift it more often
Mass - eat more today than you did yesterday
Cutting - eat less today than you ate yesterday

You guys probably think I'm being a smartass, but it really is that simple for lifters who cant do the 2-3-4 plate bench-squat-dead, which makes up the majority of guys on this site that ask these questions.

Has anyone seen Nick, Brendon, Shorty ask these type of questions????????

Actually Powerbuilder, youve given me a great topic for newsletter #108

THE MIND

Cheers

Markos

34.jpg

Bluey deadlifting 210kg on Tuesday 22-12-09, well before his goal date of AD10

thanks Markos :)

Need 5kg on the bench, powerclean and overhead, 10kg on the squat to make my goal lifts and get 700kg total.

Or just pull a 235kg deadlift lol.

Last edited:
definitely not tomorrow but we're 4 weeks out from comp... you never know. 210 felt like my arms were coming out of their sockets.

I have no advice for one so much stronger than me, I will just say, "well done!"

I imagine, but could be wrong, that it'd be easier to add (say) 15kg to your DL than 5kg to your BP and OHP in four weeks. There's that saying about the competition not beginning till the bar hits the floor...

Thanks Kyle, I agree with what youre saying, I know ill hit those targets at the comp but itll be nice to get them beforehand.

From what I've seen, you'll never do as well as you do on comp day. It's just the atmosphere boosts you... even Olympians set world records not in training but at comps.

I dunno, I'm torn between saying, "go for it, then you'll do even better on comp day" and "don't peak too soon!" See? I'm in over my head, I should have stopped at "well done, mate!" :cool:

I agree, theres something special about comp day that brings out the best in everyone.

Are you going to come down and enter/watch Kyle? Its a great show :)

index.php

Heres some inspiration Simon Bluey. The above pic has Simon Mac deadlifting 260kg

The pic below has Simon Chan deadlifting 200kg. His best raw is 230kg and equipped is 262.5kg. He hasnt tested his raw PB for a year, I'm guessing he'll pull 250kg after watching him "play" with 200kg. Dont let the Simon's down lol

I havent been around so many Simons since primary school (4 Simons in one classroom = ridiculous)

Ill be training hard and ill bring my strong. Catching the other Simons will be tough.