• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New routine opinions

McFLy

super m0derator
The last two weeks I've been messing around with full body routines and I've already got results. I belive that they are ideal for natural trainers (personal belief) after doing splits for many years which i did find gave me great growth! However I always felt after I recoverd from say chest on Wendsday Thursday from Mondays session I felt I was leaving it that fraction too long between sessions.

I feel the frequency of full body vs split is what gets the full body over the line for a win against the famous split that many (un natural) pros use. Allthough you can't hit that body part from all angles compared to a split what you can do is split the 3 main angles over 3 workouts per week. I also feel that allthough you are going heavy it will be easier on your joints in the long run because for example you won't be squating, extensions , lunges and leg press in the one work out as most leg routines will feature so your knees will be better off, same as pressing ect.

This is my routine I chose too keep it intresting and so that I get variety as doing the same work out for 3 days p/w comeing off a spit got boring just after 2 weeks lol

Here it is
Tuesday
Squat 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Weighted pull ups 5x5
Weighted dips5x5
Shrugs 5x5

Thursday
Dead lift 5x5
Decline bench 5x5
Side raises 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Bicep curl 5x5
Skull crusher 5x5

Satday
Front squat 5x5
Incline bench 5x5
Upright row 5x5
T bar row or seated cable row 5x5
Hammer curl 5x5
Close grip bench 5x5

Opinions please?

If your moving decent weight you'll be in the gym for hours. What % range are you working in. How long are you resting.

If your moving decent weight you'll be in the gym for hours. What % range are you working in. How long are you resting.

Good point Fluff
And the rest time between sets is something that you don't hear people talk about or utilise.

Good point Fluff
And the rest time between sets is something that you don't hear people talk about or utilise.

Yeah mate I'm one exercise of 5 x 5 in the 90% range and taking 3-5mins rest not alot left in the tank after that either dropping back to 50-70% for the assistance in the 8 rep range.

6 excercises per session I'm in and out in an hour. I'm resting about 90 seconds between sets. I'm doing 5 x5 for 6 weeks then ill deload to a 12 x4 for more of a pump feel training. Smashing back or chest with pretty much one excercise per session compared to coming off say 5 excercises in one hit for chest and 5 for back. I can pushy heavy and the rest isn't that much of an issue. It's alot easier knowing in the back of your mind you only gotta get through the 5 sets and not have all the other Mumbo jumbo to go next like incline and flys, crosss overs following ect.

Tuesday
Ohp -5x5
Squat -5x5 and 20 rep back-off set
SLDL to MMF
*Weighted pull ups -BW x 6 then using extra weight target set 12
*Weighted dips -BW x 6 then using extra weight target set 12
BB curls

*Alternating every four weeks using ladders

Thursday
Dead lift 5x5
Shrugs one set MMF
Decline bench 5x5 run to
flys to MMF
Bent over row 5x5
Bicep curl 5x5
Farmers walks

Satday
Front squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Upright row one set
Chin-ups MMF one set
Hammer curl 5x5
Tricep pushdown

6 excercises per session I'm in and out in an hour. I'm resting about 90 seconds between sets. I'm doing 5 x5 for 6 weeks then ill deload to a 12 x4 for more of a pump feel training. Smashing back or chest with pretty much one excercise per session compared to coming off say 5 excercises in one hit for chest and 5 for back. I can pushy heavy and the rest isn't that much of an issue. It's alot easier knowing in the back of your mind you only gotta get through the 5 sets and not have all the other Mumbo jumbo to go next like incline and flys, crosss overs following ect.

IMO 5x5 needs to done heavy with a decent rest. But whatever floats your boat aye.

Yeah mate I'm one exercise of 5 x 5 in the 90% range and taking 3-5mins rest not alot left in the tank after that either dropping back to 50-70% for the assistance in the 8 rep range.

Yea you get pretty fucked up after squats and bench and your 1 rm on your following would drastically decrease so for example you start off on 80 % of 1rm for squats and bench will end up being about 75-80% of your 1 rm by the time you get to get your 3rd set of ohp its almost physically impossible to get 75-80% coz your shoulders have been taxed from bench so you think you are fucked but in hindsight u will end up at 50% off your nomal 1rm unles you are superman. That's the benifets I feel full body is great in this way coz you are still pushing a weight to the limit which 5 reps will feel alot heavier even tho the weight has decreased instead of then lowering it even more to get 8-12 reps out in most common routines people follow these days . I don't see the point going 80% the whole way that would be overkill.whatever weight your body can JUST squeeze out the 5th rep is the way I do it. It might be wrong it may be right but i don't do warm up sets they take away to much so that might compensate

Decent rest breaks are definitely required towards the end of a 5x5 cycle...

I don't feel the heavy weights cause the growth they probley are 60% off the formula for success. The other 40 % off the formula is the frequency coz that body part gets hit 3 times per week . Going at the rate you recommend leaves you in the gym for hours. I'd say slightly drop the weight and cut the rest period coz regardless u will still only get 5 reps by cutting your bench from 120 kgs to 100 kgs by taking 90 seconds of rest off the table. Then the next Set you will get 120 or 130 kgs..I don't feel a anialiation is the key to hypoteophy. For example my 1rm is 140 so ill load 110 on the bar then ill pump my 5 reps out and rather then sitting around catching my breath for 3 minutes ill rest for 1 minute And a half and drop it down to 100 or 90 and and pump 5 reps out and thd next set ill get my 110 out. Maybey on the last set ill struggle so ill keep 80 for 5 reps. It's still gunna overload you coz at that very stage you overloaded your body to what its limit was at that very instance. Just coz its 5x5 doesn't mean u back off the intensity.

Where's the linear progression????

Firsts week only need 30 second breaks....

6 to 8 weeks later can take me up to 10 minutes to recover....

Progression doesn't matter bro this is the bodybuilding section. Maximal muscle confusions where its at, provides the shock needed to grow.

Premature ejack bra? Loll Its a bodybuilding routine mate not a strong man routine lol It's a reg park style full body. Just for you ill add in some tyre flips and keg squats ;)

Tuesday
Ohp -5x5
Squat -5x5 and 20 rep back-off set
SLDL to MMF
*Weighted pull ups -BW x 6 then using extra weight target set 12
*Weighted dips -BW x 6 then using extra weight target set 12
BB curls

*Alternating every four weeks using ladders

Thursday
Dead lift 5x5
Shrugs one set MMF
Decline bench 5x5 run to
flys to MMF
Bent over row 5x5
Bicep curl 5x5
Farmers walks

Satday
Front squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Upright row one set
Chin-ups MMF one set
Hammer curl 5x5
Tricep pushdown

I'd just do this. Sounds pretty solid to me.

Good point Fluff

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-5x5-program.html[/FONT][FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Here is some extracts from the above link.
[/FONT]
Some other general rules of thumbs are often thrown out (usually when the loads are too heavy) for this version of 5X5: for example, if you can’t get at least 14 total repetitions across the 5 sets (a complete workout would be 25 reps), the load is too heavy. So if you got something like 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 the weight is too heavy. It probably means you started way too close to your 5 repetition maximum.
In any case, after doing warm-up sets, the goal of 5X5 across is to do all 5 sets of 5 with the same weight. This pretty much requires that the load be less than the 85% value I threw out above; someone would have to have one hell of a work capacity/recovery ability to do 5 true maximal sets of 5 in a row. Typically 75-80% of maximum might be used.

Some people, when the weights get heavy, don’t ever seem to be able to get all 5 sets of 5 no matter how long you keep them at the same weight. So they’ll get 5,5,5,5,3 one workout and 5,5,5,5,3 the next workout and no matter how long you wait, that last set never gets to 5 reps. They just can’t do it for whatever reason.
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Info on rest times[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/factors-affecting-the-length-of-the-rest-interval-between-resistance-exercise-sets-research-review.html[/FONT]
A key factor that determines the ability to sustain repetitions is the length of rest interval between sets. The length of the rest interval is commonly prescribed based on the training goal, but may vary based on several other factors. The purpose of this review was to discuss these factors in the context of different training goals. When training for muscular strength, the magnitude of the load lifted is a key determinant of the rest interval prescribed between sets. For loads less than 90% of 1 repetition maximum, 3-5 minutes rest between sets allows for greater strength increases through the maintenance of training intensity. However, when testing for maximal strength, 1-2 minutes rest between sets might be sufficient between repeated attempts. When training for muscular power, a minimum of 3 minutes rest should be prescribed between sets

When you look around the weight room, it’s not uncommon to see folks using rest intervals that are wholly inappropriate for their stated goals. The paper I want to look at today was a good overall review of how rest intervals should be structured for different training goals including maximal strength, hypertrophy, power production or local muscular endurance.

When training with a system such as 5X5 (discussed in more detail inThe 5X5 Program) or even something like 6 sets of 3, rest intervals of 3-5 minutes between maximally heavy sets would be a common recommendation; again this ensures that the heaviest weights can be handled on each set without too much accumulated fatigue.

I should note that, while the paper didn’t mention it explicitly, I have seen folks for whom too long of a rest interval actually does more harm than good. This is especially true for highly technical movements, especially when technique isn’t completely stable. Lifters will lose their groove (and this happens most often on Olympic lifts) if they sit around too long between repetitions. As well, some lifters seem to cool down between sets if you let them rest too long. So there can be some individual variance in the length of time taken between heavy sets.

Put simply, I think that both longer (complete or near complete) and shorter (incomplete) rest intervals have their place in hypertrophy training. In general, I’ll typically use longer rest intervals when the goal is primarily a tension stimulus (e.g. rest interval of 2-3 minutes for sets of 5-8 reps) and shorter rest intervals when the goal is a fatigue stimulus (e.g. 60 seconds for sets of 12-15 reps).

I guess my point is that there is more to hypertrophy than giving a simple short or long rest interval can properly address. The interaction of tension with fatigue/metabolic work and tonnage are all involved in the growth stimulus and by the time you get into issues of sarcoplasmic vs. myofibrillar hypertrophy, it starts getting complicated. Some of those issues are addressed in the series on Periodization for Bodybuilders.
Put simply, I think that both longer (complete or near complete) and shorter (incomplete) rest intervals have their place in hypertrophy training. In general, I’ll typically use longer rest intervals when the goal is primarily a tension stimulus (e.g. rest interval of 2-3 minutes for sets of 5-8 reps) and shorter rest intervals when the goal is a fatigue stimulus (e.g. 60 seconds for sets of 12-15 reps).
Summing Up
Summing up this review, practically folks may manipulate rest intervals for different goals according to the following guidelines:

• Maximal strength training: 2-5 minutes between sets. Possibly shorter when intensity is above 90% and reps are three or less.
  • Testing 1 rep max: the paper recommends short rest of 1-2 minutes. From a real-world perspective, I’m not sure I agree with this as a general rule.
  • Muscular power: generally 3-5 minutes although shorter rests of 30-45 seconds can be used with very short sets (multiple sets of doubles and triples).
  • Hypertrophy: the paper recommends incomplete rest intervals of 30-90 seconds but I disagree somewhat with this. I feel that both complete and incomplete rest intervals have their place in hypertrophy training.
  • Muscular endurance: Short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds performed in circuit fashion.

Unless you are doing oly lifts or power lifting then you are waisting 10 minutes for nothing. It will take you 50 minutes just do squats on a 5x5 program. Maybe your goals are different to mine (powerlifting). Mine are to add strength and muscle not that powerlifting Doesn't but I'm after hypotrophy and the extra intensity stops me from spending all day in gym . As I posted before (just above) the links will put it clearly that you are training to close your 1rm % and if that's not your goal then you need to re-access your training to see if it matches your goals. No offence I'm not having a go at you but I don't have 10 minutes between sets. Like I said I customised a generic 5x5 bodybuilding program to suit my personal needs.

Lol...

Nah dude your doing it wrong....

I'm not a power lifter....

It would appear you do not understand the concept of 5x5....

If my1rm was say 140kg I would start my 5x 5 down at 100kg
Add 2.5kg per workout
Train the lift 2 to 3 times a week dependant on what you can handle

Towards the end of the cycle you will need to use whatever it takes to hit your 5x5... Including less/more days in the gym.... Longer/ shorter rest breaks.... Lots and lots of mobility work....