• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New here.

Mattias

Hi my name is Mattias and im new here.

I registered here cause i hope to move to Aus in the future, i live in Sweden now but i don´t like the contrey very much and my girlfriend is from UK to and wants to move to an english speaking contry, Canada is to cold and England to rainy and she don´t want to move back there.

Im 32 years old and compete in bodybuilding so a want to do some good research now on gym and food and training in Austraila before we move, seems so hard tough to get in your beutifull country.

Have a good time lads and i will be greatfull of every advice and information you give me of the trainingworld in Australia.

//Mattias

Im 32 years old and compete in bodybuilding so a want to do some good research now on gym and food and training in Austraila before we move, seems so hard tough to get in your beutifull country.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Australia. Australia is now the fattest nation on earth, just about everyone is overweight :)

I recommend you move to Queensland, a beautiful part of the world, with lots of laid-back people. I have a soft spot for Brisbane.

And as for training and diet information, you don't need Australia specific information (does that even exist?). Does that sentence even make sense? I'm so hungover :-S

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Australia. Australia is now the fattest nation on earth, just about everyone is overweight :)

I recommend you move to Queensland, a beautiful part of the world, with lots of laid-back people. I have a soft spot for Brisbane.

And as for training and diet information, you don't need Australia specific information (does that even exist?). Does that sentence even make sense? I'm so hungover :-S

Tanx mate.

We want to move to Melbourne.

Melbourne is a great city,it has everything you want-sport (tons of sport),restaurants,shopping (keep your GF happy),museums,entertainment,
beach,great sight seeing not so far away.Four seasons but it can be a bit unpredictable sometimes.
As the other guy said,there is nothing Australia specific to tell.You can get any kind of food and training is training no matter where you are.
I can say that compared to where I am (Japan) supplements are dirt cheap in Aus.
Australia is pretty pricey to live but from what my Swedish mates tell me so is Sweden so maybe it won `t be such an issue for you.
Good luck.

We will move now within the next 2 years, i have to study to a Nurse to get a permanent visa, we have looked at all other options to get into Aus but it seems that this is the only way:)

No i haven't moved, and a decision will not be made until I get back from my holiday.

We want to move to Melbourne.
Good instincts!

Most of the state capitals are not very multicultural and are very much Anglo, except for Darwin which has a lot of Chinese and Aboriginals, however the Aboriginals are quite marginalised - racism is alive and well in Australia, but mostly focused on the indigenous.

Melbourne is best for new migrants to Australia, because it's very multicultural. Sydney is also multicultural, but the cultures don't mix very much, they huddle protectively among themselves. In Melbourne, they mix a lot more. Down at the Irish pub we see on the menu "Murphy's risotto." Beef and Guinness - I wouldn't touch it, but it shows the mixing alright.

We host homestay students from Japan, China and Korea. If we went to their countries we'd stand out and be stared at, but here no-one gives them a second look, many are surprised when people stop them and ask them for directions around the city.

Among our friends are people born in Japan, Hungary, Italy and France. At my gym Sikhs work out in turbans next to Australian-born Chinese, and I regularly work in on the bench press with an Indian-born former Victoria Police officer.

At the same time, there exist many ethnic community groups for anyone who's feeling homesick or wants to hear their native tongue.

All this makes it much easier for a new migrant to Australia, there's less culture shock, it's much easier to settle in and feel at home.

The city has many parks - excellent for active people - and also has a number of galleries, lots of public music and so on. There's free entertainment of one kind or another in the city every day. There are as Zarkov said many restaurants, but there are also lots of markets, so for people who like lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and beans, and do their own cooking, food can be cheap.

For cost of living, the minimum wage is A$14.31 an hour, which after tax is about A$12.40 an hour. So a full-time minimum wage worker would get about A$500 a week.

A typical inner-city rent on a single bedroom flash apartment, or a two bedroom medium-quality unit, would be about A$350 a week. 20-30 minutes on the train further out the rent drops to around A$200-$300 weekly, depending on which suburb you live in.

Utilities are mostly metered by consumption, but if you are a careful user of electricity, gas and water you should be able to keep bills down to about A$30 a week. If you're wasteful and have the airconditioning on all the time obviously it's much higher.

Internet and mobile phone use vary hugely, but you can get 2Mb/s (slower than EU broadband, but fast enough for anyone not a mad file-sharer) for about A$20 weekly.

There's an extensive public transport network which is not well-run, though the operator is changing so we hope for improvements. But for about A$30 a week you can get to and from work if you live within 15km of the inner city.

Cars are considerably cheaper to own and run here than in the EU. Petrol is about A$1.20/lt at the moment.

Fresh fruit and vegetables are commonly A$2-$4/kg, nuts and beans A$5-$10, and meat is around A$10/kg. That's from open-air markets, Chinese-run shops selling in-season produce and so on; add 50-100% for supermarkets and out of season produce. So if you cook at home then you can eat very well for about A$80 weekly for two. Obviously restaurants are more; steak and chips and salad might set you back A$20-$30, for example. A typical fast food meal is A$5-$10.

Of course if you're a bodybuilder eating nine whole chickens and a bucket of protein powder a day things get more expensive ;)

Clothing is cheap because it's all made in China, you can easily get jeans for A$20, shirts for the same. Of course you can buy more expensive ones if you have a job or social life demanding it.

Thus, a person living alone on minimum wage can live quite comfortably on about A$350 a week and save the rest. In practice, the person will probably spend the other A$150 on going out.

A couple's expenses will only be about A$100 weekly more than a single person's since they'll share a home, etc. So A$450 weekly - a couple can live together on a single full-time minimum wage, but they won't go out a lot or have fancy clothes or stuff for their home.

Obviously the minimum wage is for unskilled labourers and the like. Qualified tradespeople and professionals earn considerably more. Friends of mine in IT for a few years get A$65-120,000 annually, about two-thirds of which they keep after tax.

Wages are higher in Sydney but so are costs. When I lived in Sydney for six months I found my spare cash was the same. Wages are lower in other state and territory capitals, and so are costs, too.

Jeans for $20? Inner city rent for a two bedder for only $350? Where is this mystical place you speak of? I can't imagine that a couple living on $450 a week could even eat!

I can't link to sites with cheap clothing, since the cheapest stores have no websites ;) But it is out there. They're not designer labels, of course, but there it is.

If you look at the realestate.com.au site and search for rentals in the 3000 postcode (central city) it's $330+ for an inner city apartment, around $450 is more typical for a couple of bedrooms. But then if you're working in the city you'll have zero transport costs - the RACV estimates the cheapest car to run is about $111 weekly in total costs (loan interest, depreciation, fuel, servicing, etc).

In my region in the southeastern suburbs, you can get a one-bedroom apartment for $200, for example. A rather ordinary-looking two bedroom unit a couple of kilometres from major shops and services is $220, for example. But for the professionally-employed, I would probably go for something nicer around $300, for example.

As for eating, as I said it depends on your chosen lifestyle. If you cook everything at home and eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, then like me and my woman you can eat well on $80 weekly for the two of you. If you like to eat lots of meat it might go up to $100. arket, or if you only like to eat prepared food, expect $200+/week. If you like to go out for dinner, have fast food or eat lots of junk food, then the bill goes up correspondingly. If you can't be bothered shopping around and get everything at the superm

This morning we went for a walk to Freshway, fruit and vegie wholesalers. From memory, apples, oranges and bananas were all $2 a kilogram. Eggplants and capsicums were $3/kg. Mushrooms were $8/kg. Green beans were $4/kg. Dried apricots were $8/kg. 5kg spuds were $3.

Down at the local bakery, 650g loaves of sliced bread can be had for $1.70 each, or $3 for two; we usually get one white and one grainy loaf, and eat 3-4 loaves of bread weekly.

Rice is about $55 for a 25kg bag, pasta can be got for $1/kg and oats about the same.

So 1kg of fruit and vegies daily per person, you're looking at $3/day each, or $40 a week for a couple. Carbs? Maybe 1kg rice, 1kg pasta and 1kg oats weekly. Fresh fruit and vegies and starchy foods with bread brings the bill to about $60. The other $20 is milk, cheese, meat, maybe some fruit juice and the occasional bottle of wine.

One interesting book I'd like to get is talked about here, what the world eats. It's a photoessay of families around the world pictured with their week's food.

What you notice is that as the country's wealth goes up, the first thing people add is fizzy drinks. After that, more meat. After that, lots of processed food in colourful plastic packets. Well, someone has to pay for all that processing and colour and company advertising. So your bill goes up.

The American family, the average Aussies would be about the same I think,

05.jpg

By contrast, we have no fizzy drinks at all. The amount of processed food we have can be gauged by the fact that the wrapping on them is generally non-recyclable, and we put out the non-recyclable bins only every 2 months - compared to weekly for all our neighbours. I wanted to get fish and chips last night but my woman made a beef and vegetable pie instead, it was great.

So yes, you can live more expensively than we do. But you don't have to. A couple could live together on the equivalent of a single full-time minimum wage while saving money. We did it - lived for about five years on about $350 a week and saved up a 50% deposit for our current home. It's harder if you have kids, obviously - heaps of expenses with them, and harder to say "no" to your kids than yourself.

The point is that Melbourne offers the choice: you can live in frugal comfort, or live with profligate waste. It's your choice, the shops and services are there for either kind of lifestyle, or anything in between.

Last edited:
But then if you're working in the city you'll have zero transport costs

providing you can walk to work or ride your bike otherwise you will need to budget for a tram ticket each day at least. you might say everyone in the city can ride to work but a lot of work places dont have showers to freshen up in

edit: im probably getting a bit ahead of myself here though

Yeah, a lot depends on this and that. I mean, with cycling there's no law says you must thrash it, you don't have to sweat at all, just cruise along. My own guideline is,

<5km, walk
5-15km, cycle
15+km, public transport

But I've known guys who drove 300-800 metres to work. And I've a friend I met each week in the city for lunch, he takes the tram three blocks. By an amazing coincidence, his doctor says he should lose some fat.

It's all your own choice, is my point. You can spend a fortune, or not much, and spending more doesn't necessarily mean you're happier or healthier. Just depends on what you're like.