• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New guy getting calories correct

Kap0www

Hi All. After losing around 6kg or so of fat coming from 85kg to 76kg from hard cardio I have turned to doing weight training. Im 39 years old, I weigh between 76.5 to 77kg, 183cm tall and have 18% body fat.
Weight training is all new to me but i believe I have my routine set now for the gym (4 days a week) but Im struggling to see much gains after 2 and a bit months later. I havent gained much weight if any.
Im trying to work off my maintance calorie count of 2100 and add 500 to thats but im not sure if thats correct. Im using the 30/50/20 ratio and also Ive been taking Dymatize Elite Muscle Gainer to help meet my calorie, protein & carbs in check for the day as well.
Im not sure if Im doing this all wrong or if my calorie intake count is all wrong, should it be higher.....yeah, im not sure. researched heaps but no luck. I would also like to reduce my body fat a little lower too (get rid of those stubborn love handles:()
Any help would be greatly appreciated to put me on track

Last edited:
76kg at 183 would suggest to me not much muscle. I would build up to 85kg again with muscle this time before trying to drop fat. Nothing worse than being skinny fat, may a swell be muscular fat albeit only while bulking.

Goo Luck bro.

Last edited:
stuff the mucle gainer mate, Unless is Gear just stick with a solid diet and WPC shakes.

id also swap protien and carbs around.

use the min P = 2x body weight. Fat- 0.75 and fill therest with carbs.

Also what weight traing progarm you doing?

If its not

Squat
Bench
MP
DL
Curl

then i would change to the BB beginer progarm asap

Hi All. After losing around 6kg or so of fat coming from 85kg to 76kg from hard cardio I have turned to doing weight training. Im 39 years old, I weigh between 76.5 to 77kg, 183cm tall and have 18% body fat.
Weight training is all new to me but i believe I have my routine set now for the gym (4 days a week) but Im struggling to see much gains after 2 and a bit months later. I havent gained much weight if any.
Im trying to work off my maintance calorie count of 2100 and add 500 to thats but im not sure if thats correct. Im using the 30/50/20 ratio and also Ive been taking Dymatize Elite Muscle Gainer to help meet my calorie, protein & carbs in check for the day as well.
Im not sure if Im doing this all wrong or if my calorie intake count is all wrong, should it be higher.....yeah, im not sure. researched heaps but no luck. I would also like to reduce my body fat a little lower too (get rid of those stubborn love handles:()
Any help would be greatly appreciated to put me on track

Hi and welcome :)

Now I'll be as straight to the point as I can.

Weight training you should be doing a full body workout routine 3 days a week. I.E beginners program based on the compound movements of Squats, Bench, Dead's, Chin's and Dips. Don't over think it and don't think you need to do some stupid 4-5 day split that you see in Flex magazine.

Calorie intake. Consume what you think/calculated is you ''maintenance'' for 2 weeks and then check weight. Increase calorie intake by 10% if weight does not move or drops. Then repeat in 2 more weeks. Adding 500 calories a day does not work and is again something that was just a false/uneducated guess of weight gain due to 1kg of fat contains 3500 calories. Much more to it than that simple equation.

Doing ''ratio'' balance of calories is not the best way to go about it. You need to ensure you are meeting MINIMUM physiological and training nutritional needs. Following a ratio balance can leave you short and in some cases over compensate in other area's.

Maybe you should read these - The BodyEvolution Report

Hi and welcome :)

Now I'll be as straight to the point as I can.

Weight training you should be doing a full body workout routine 3 days a week. I.E beginners program based on the compound movements of Squats, Bench, Dead's, Chin's and Dips. Don't over think it and don't think you need to do some stupid 4-5 day split that you see in Flex magazine.

Calorie intake. Consume what you think/calculated is you ''maintenance'' for 2 weeks and then check weight. Increase calorie intake by 10% if weight does not move or drops. Then repeat in 2 more weeks. Adding 500 calories a day does not work and is again something that was just a false/uneducated guess of weight gain due to 1kg of fat contains 3500 calories. Much more to it than that simple equation.

Doing ''ratio'' balance of calories is not the best way to go about it. You need to ensure you are meeting MINIMUM physiological and training nutritional needs. Following a ratio balance can leave you short and in some cases over compensate in other area's.

Maybe you should read these - The BodyEvolution Report

What do you recommend to someone after doing the beginner program some time, if they are looking more at building muscle?

I will hit you up soon too at your BE email as I am looking for some professional advice on a food plan.

What do you recommend to someone after doing the beginner program some time, if they are looking more at building muscle?

I will hit you up soon too at your BE email as I am looking for some professional advice on a food plan.
Upper/lower body split after that full body routine. Really just expanding a little more on the basics/fundamentals.

No worries at all mate. Just drop us a line whenever suits you :)

Upper/lower body split after that full body routine. Really just expanding a little more on the basics/fundamentals.

No worries at all mate. Just drop us a line whenever suits you :)

Appreciate your advice, found a upper / lower split by Lyle McDonald which has given me some good ideas.

OP - I did the beginner program Max suggests for at least 6 months and got great gains in strength and muscle. Its really simple and allows you to focus on compound movements, getting technique correct and also and forming good exercise habits.

Appreciate your advice, found a upper / lower split by Lyle McDonald which has given me some good ideas.

OP - I did the beginner program Max suggests for at least 6 months and got great gains in strength and muscle. Its really simple and allows you to focus on compound movements, getting technique correct and also and forming good exercise habits.
Yeah it is all pretty simple and I stick to the compounds and fundamentals for the most part with training.

Yes Lyle's is good and pretty much anyone except Poliquin would be worth a look into :D