• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some opinions - Beginner/Intermediate lifting programs

Where's that quote from Oni?
I have to agree here, depending on what your goals are just get in there and lift some weights.
You want to lift for 3 reps then pick a weight that you can lift for 3 reps, you want to lift for 10 reps then pick a weight you can lift for 10 reps, for as long and as often that suits you or that your body will allow.
We need to analyse less and lift more.

It's a Jamie Lewis quote I believe. Whenever I see him write something inspirational like that I copy it into a text file haha. There are some pretty hilarious one's in there

One of my favourite workouts now is to just pick an exercise and a weight that is more than 85% of my 1RM and just do as many reps as I can within a certain timeframe. I'm trying to work my may up to 30 minutes of solid non-stop lifting. My bodyweight has jumped up loads in the last few weeks, I was 67kg carb depleted the week of my meet and now I'm 70kg carb depleted. I also feel oddly euphoric all the time haha, which I am attributing to possible higher testosterone levels which I'll probably get tested before long

Not the strongest guy here, but I've had pretty good results with going back to 5x5 after stalling, but with less top sets, 3x5 or ramped 1x5

What do you guys think of workouts based on Prelepins table?

I always thought it was for Olympic lifts only but then Sticky linked it the other day..... hmm

Westside looks interesting, i'm basically just training up for the next PTC comp in august now, would love to hit 150 squat, 200 dead and 100 bench by then. Honestly though, i'd struggle to hit 85 bench at the moment so it doesn't seem like a very good goal, but west side has much more upper body work which could be beneficial. Might try and find a write up or spreadsheet

Westside is developed for equipped lifters and such that you can easily iron out technical flaws when using gear. As such, it will be largely unsuited to you as a raw lifter

Westside is developed for equipped lifters and such that you can easily iron out technical flaws when using gear. As such, it will be largely unsuited to you as a raw lifter

Where on earth did you hear that? Westside can be used for both.

Then where are all the raw world record holders that use the Westside method? Or anyone strong out of equipment at all?
The closest is Phil Harrington, who did largely a high volume regime before he went to Westside and started training in equipment. As such, he was brutally strong raw before he even set foot in Westside Barbell. I just feel there are options better suited to the raw lifter than maxing a lift once a week

Not the strongest guy here, but I've had pretty good results with going back to 5x5 after stalling, but with less top sets, 3x5 or ramped 1x5

Yes, I see it the same way as an artist or writer would get creative block. Just look at what famous artists have done to get rid of their creative block. They go back to what they have done before, hang around other people and eventually start interacting with them and so on- anything but doing nothing and taking a break haha, which is what a lot of people seem to suggest for lifting for some reason

I don't even know what your trying to say

Going back to what you've done before is a common way of removing writers block
It makes sense that doing the same with lifting is a good way for getting "unstuck". Although for me, I don't think quarter squatting onto a bench for sets of 3 once a week is going to work haha

Westside looks interesting, i'm basically just training up for the next PTC comp in august now, would love to hit 150 squat, 200 dead and 100 bench by then. Honestly though, i'd struggle to hit 85 bench at the moment so it doesn't seem like a very good goal, but west side has much more upper body work which could be beneficial. Might try and find a write up or spreadsheet

Give westside a miss for raw, seriously.

Off topic

Whats happening with the titan site?

Ben being a procrastinating **** is happening. Plus I'm kinda waiting to get a fuller inventory before I launch a site that is missing half the stock. When softsuits and belts finally arrive I will have it up quick smart.

Ben being a procrastinating **** is happening. Plus I'm kinda waiting to get a fuller inventory before I launch a site that is missing half the stock. When softsuits and belts finally arrive I will have it up quick smart.

Good idea, I really get the shits with <insert local brisbane based PL supplier> cause he never has stock, which probably isn't his fault. But customers been irrational ****s that they are tend to get shitty when the site has pretty pictures but can't supply.

I will wait before I spend more money I don't have on shit I don't need.

Bump the thread when you get it up.

Good idea, I really get the shits with <insert local brisbane based PL supplier> cause he never has stock, which probably isn't his fault. But customers been irrational ****s that they are tend to get shitty when the site has pretty pictures but can't supply.

I will wait before I spend more money I don't have on shit I don't need.

Bump the thread when you get it up.

I'll shout it to the mountaintops mate.

BUY MY STUFF!!! I NEEDZ TO BUY PROTEINZ!!!

man stop worrying already and pick something you enjoy and like the look of
just go for the one you picked earlier

I have only 12 months experience training but I would suggest above all don't back off volume or choose anything easier. I think Oni and others have said 'increase volume or weight' or 'to press more press more (per week)'. Sounds obvious, but on that basis you can probably rule out 5/3/1 and Westside. Just work like hell and lift loads of weight.

I make sure at the end of every workout I'm fucked and have pushed myself on several sets. I do 40-50 at the moment for pressing per week (20-25 per workout).

This is just the suggestion of a fairly inexperienced trainee, mind...