• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some chest exercise advice

I think I understand now. How much you gained since starting?

How many sets plus reps are you doing? Sorry if my questions are how do you say direct. I'm trying to understand what worked for you.

Last edited:
I would do decline, incline and fly's more as that will stretch up your chest on all sides.
Definitely fly's.

Last edited:
I think I understand now. How much you gained since starting?

How many sets plus reps are you doing? Sorry if my questions are how do you say direct. I'm trying to understand what worked for you.

I started at 75 and I'm now around 82. For a drop set I am for 6-8 reps as heavy as I can, drop down a few kgs, 6-8 again, another drop, no breaks. I then have a 1 min break and go as heavy as I can for 6 reps. another 1 min break and heaviest again. By heavuiest I don't mean what I did initially just whatever I'm comfortable with at the time.

Would that be classified as training til failure?

Good results. I would like to be 75kg :)

Last edited:
I think you should have a look at the beginner program and stick to that. Doing drop sets and exercises to specifically target areas of your body is not going to benefit you as much as the beginner program will right now.

I trained in a gym for 14 years doing the latest Flex/ Muscle Mag workout, drop sets, super sets, Incline-flat-decline chest, heck even wrist curls, and I have not seen the level of growth in my body as 1 year on the beginners program. Ask the trainers for proper form or post a video here for critique. Stick to that program for a good 6 months and see how you change.

If you are worried about man boobs, that is body fat, check out your nutrition and start eating for a growing body cutting fat person.

I think you should have a look at the beginner program and stick to that. Doing drop sets and exercises to specifically target areas of your body is not going to benefit you as much as the beginner program will right now.

I trained in a gym for 14 years doing the latest Flex/ Muscle Mag workout, drop sets, super sets, Incline-flat-decline chest, heck even wrist curls, and I have not seen the level of growth in my body as 1 year on the beginners program. Ask the trainers for proper form or post a video here for critique. Stick to that program for a good 6 months and see how you change.

If you are worried about man boobs, that is body fat, check out your nutrition and start eating for a growing body cutting fat person.

Thanks, I'll look into it. trying to keep on putting on wait till around october then I'll start sliming down again, so I'm looking for exercises to help tighten up the muscles now so they show through when I'm cutting down.

Also, i can honestly say I think dropsets are pretty handy to me, I feel they have helpe dme a lot especially when I am with a friend to spot me to really push out a few more reps.

Hopefully one of the more forum guru users will come along with the link, but I'll try paraphrase in the mean time.

You may be finding the drop set routine and the spot to really get that last rep out feel great, as your chest pumps up with blood or you feel especially fatiged, but it may not be as beneficial as correct form with an appropriate weight to a set amount of sets and reps. Psychologically it may feel great but physically may not benefit you as much.

Like I said, hopefully someone will post a link to the better words as to why.

Can you squat the chest press machine?

I'll give it a shot next time I am at work, maybe a deadlift only though :)

David,

In all honesty your training up till now has been terrible but don't worry we all did that when we started working out. You need to stop it now and get on a beginners program and get a good foundation going. Stop drop setting that is for more advanced trainees and that is not you. Start squatting, deadlifting, doing rows, chins, heavy bench pressing, dips, shoulder presses etc. Keep away from the damn incline bench and forget flyes till you are out of the beginner stage. Please go read the beginners look here thread from the start, there you will find some good programs and good tips and explanations.

Good luck.

I'll give it a shot next time I am at work, maybe a deadlift only though :)

David,

In all honesty your training up till now has been terrible but don't worry we all did that when we started working out. You need to stop it now and get on a beginners program and get a good foundation going. Stop drop setting that is for more advanced trainees and that is not you. Start squatting, deadlifting, doing rows, chins, heavy bench pressing, dips, shoulder presses etc. Keep away from the damn incline bench and forget flyes till you are out of the beginner stage. Please go read the beginners look here thread from the start, there you will find some good programs and good tips and explanations.

Good luck.

I think I may just be best of speaking to a trainer at my new gym next weekend and see hwat they can come up with, may be money well spent on getting 1 or 2 sessions

I think I may just be best of speaking to a trainer at my new gym next weekend and see hwat they can come up with, may be money well spent on getting 1 or 2 sessions

That depends on the trainers most are not great and I am a PT so I am not just bashing PT's for the fun of it. Getting bigger is simple (especially at the beginner level) but just takes hard work, dedication and consistency.

Forget that shit. Get 'Beyond Brawn' from Stuart McRobert. It'll be half the cost of a PT session, be far superior advice, and will be an invaluable ongoing reference for years to come. Very comprehensive range of info in this book.

As others have said , a basic 5 x 5 program sticking with basic compound lifts
bench
squat
dips
military press
deadlifts
pullup
rows

cut back your calories intake, I can imagine man boobs would be well over 25% body fat, if in doubt get the Pt to do a skin fold test, as a guide.

or just watch yourself in mirror, ( generally only,, everyones body carries fat differently....)

any sort of muffin top >20%
vein up bicep @ about 15%
relaxed and still visible abs, @ about 10%

I am 18-20% and I dont have man boobs, and can only see abs when tensed.

very few people will sit around 10% unless they are the super underfed ripped looking teenagers, or have an impecibly controled diet.

cut back your calories intake, I can imagine man boobs would be well over 25% body fat, if in doubt get the Pt to do a skin fold test, as a guide.

or just watch yourself in mirror, ( generally only,, everyones body carries fat differently....)

any sort of muffin top >20%
vein up bicep @ about 15%
relaxed and still visible abs, @ about 10%

I am 18-20% and I dont have man boobs, and can only see abs when tensed.

very few people will sit around 10% unless they are the super underfed ripped looking teenagers, or have an impecibly controled diet.

25%? hmm don't know about that, had mine checked back in end of jan this year at it was 15.6% and I had them then.

As i stated everyone carries fat differently it was a generalised comment.

There are a few pics on here and on the net of people at different bf%, as they progressed, as a guide

Start a training journal, and post a few pics, just a thought.

But don't try to overthink the training simple works very welll

If you do bench, dips an flies/db presses, will give you a very solid basis to work off later.

Last edited:
Yeah no probs, I'll try and get it checked at the new gym, to see how its changed over 7 months (not tht im too worried atm) but just out of curiosity and to use as a base for the new program (beginners- foundations).