• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need of advice

buncey

hey everyone, im new to this site and am looking forward to a good start, im 16 years old weighing in around 65kg , ive been working out for atleast a year now progressively seeing a difference in myself. but have hit a stump, :mad: i just need help on what im doing right and what im doing wrong and what could help

monday; Arms;
Barbel Curl , 3x10
Tri dips, 3x12
concentration curls, 3x12

tuesday; back/shoulders
decline 3x12
flat 3x12
incline 3x12

wedneday;chest
lat pulldown 3x10
close grip pulldown 3x10
upright row 3x12
military press 3x12

thursday;
Barbel Curl , 3x10
Tri dips, 3x12
concentration curls, 3x12

friday;
decline 3x12
flat 3x12
incline 3x12

needing help and advice please, what i can help to improve, or another program, appreciate it, im just one of those kids who wants to be the biggest there is, and is keen to do it!

Mate stick with one thread. Just copy and paste what you have here into the other one. In fact I will do it for you.

This is what I suggest:

1. Squats

2. D/bell bench press on a 30 degree incline or decline.

3. Dead lifts

4. D/bell bent over rows

5. Military press

And if you can't help yourself...

6. Barbell curls.

The above done for a solid 6 months 3 days a week at 3 x 8-12. Add to that an attitude of full focus and surround yourself with positive people and don't forget to ask questions.

What weights should I use?

Pick up a weight that you can get 8 repetitions with. Increase the reps (not the weight) until you can manage 12 reps with that same weight. Once achieved, drop back down to 8 reps and work your way up to 12 and so on until 6 months are up.

To be able to stick to the above would first and foremost prove to yourself that you deserve the gold medal for consistency.

Why is consistency so important? Because it will show that you have the following:

1. Determination
2. Dedication
3. Discipline

Anyone but anyone can go to the gym and let it rip, but only a handful will ever weather the storm when and if it should hit. Are you one of those few buncey or are you just another face in the crowd? Show me what you've got young Lion!

Fadi.

Last edited:
It is impossible to find any fault in this advice (surprise). I don't usually pipe up in this section because I haven't earnt the right but the advice Fadi gave is so perfect I couldn't help but do so. I must ask though, "no bench at all?" (just for my benefit please)

This is what I suggest:

1. Squats

2. Dead lifts

3. D/bell bent over rows

4. Military press

5. Barbell curls.

The above done for a solid 6 months 3 days a week at 3 x 8-12. Add to that an attitude of full focus and surround yourself with positive people and don't forget to ask questions.

What weights should I use?

Pick up a weight that you can get 8 repetitions with. Increase the reps (not the weight) until you can manage 12 reps with that same weight. Once achieved, drop back down to 8 reps and work your way up to 12 and so on until 6 months are up.

To be able to stick to the above would first and foremost prove to yourself that you deserve the gold medal for consistency.

Why is consistency so important? Because it will show that you have the following:

1. Determination
2. Dedication
3. Discipline

Anyone but anyone can go to the gym and let it rip, but only a handful will ever weather the storm when and if it should hit. Are you one of those few buncey or are you just another face in the crowd? Show me what you've got young Lion!

Fadi.

I must ask though, "no bench at all?" (just for my benefit please)
If you can put it overhead, you can bench it.

A young person training on their own, we have to consider safety. Fail a squat or deadlift or overhead press, you just drop it on the floor, big noise, no worries. Fail a bench press on your own, ouch.

i need to start eating double what i eat now !
this program above;
1. Squats
2. Dead lifts
3. D/bell bent over rows
4. Military press
5. Barbell curls.

if i stick to this, it will improve my size more?

If you eat more, you will get bigger whether you work out or not.

If you work out, some of your getting bigger will be muscle.

Exact routine's not important, food much more important.

It is impossible to find any fault in this advice (surprise). I don't usually pipe up in this section because I haven't earnt the right but the advice Fadi gave is so perfect I couldn't help but do so. I must ask though, "no bench at all?" (just for my benefit please)

My bad and thanks for picking that one up Sir. Sure for the bench, but I'd much rather see D/bell work here instead of barbell for three reasons:

1. Safety as Brother Kyle has already mentioned and...

2. I'd like to bring in all the stabiliser muscles as well as teach my neuromuscular connection a thing or two by having to balance the d/bells throughout the movement and end up with a rock solid eccentric and concentric contraction throughout.

3. I'd want to insure I have no partiality towards one side of the chest over the other just incase my shoulders/chest strength are not well matched on either side of my body; d/bell work will reveal what barbell work disguises hence my decision for the usage of d/bells for the beginner.

Fadi.

Last edited:
If you can put it overhead, you can bench it.

A young person training on their own, we have to consider safety. Fail a squat or deadlift or overhead press, you just drop it on the floor, big noise, no worries. Fail a bench press on your own, ouch.

I didn't read the "on my own bit", sorry. Last year I had lower back/hip (SI joint) issues and was told by the physio not to lift above my shoulders. Thank god thats over with now and I'm getting my shoulders back up to scratch. But that leaves me a little paranoid about untrained (or in this case just less experienced) people getting themselves into trouble there.

I have had a hyperextended neck from deadlifts (followed bad advice on another forum years ago). I've strained but not torn shoulders from highly held squats and dropping the weights (unspotted 1.5x ish body weight). So I guess I share my paranoia about injury across every exercise.

But like I said, there is no way I would not take Fadi's advice or yours for that matter, as you both are more qualified than I (as far as I and anybody else is concerned).

My bad and thanks for picking that one up Sir. Sure for the bench, but I'd much rather see D/bell work here instead of barbell for three reasons:

1. Safety as Brother Kyle has already mentioned and...

2. I'd like to bring in all the stabiliser muscles as well as teach my neuromuscular connection a thing or two by having to balance the d/bells throughout the movement and end up with a rock solid eccentric and concentric contraction throughout.

3. I'd want to insure I have no partiality towards one side of the chest over the other just incase my shoulders/chest strength are not well matched on either side of my body; d/bell work will reveal what barbell work disguises hence my decision for the usage of d/bells for the beginner.

Fadi.

I train alone at home too, though with a fair bit of experience and knowledge (learning from mistakes that is) and I agree so much I've forked out a small fortune to get a better range of dumbell weights for all the above reasons. Much harder to hurt yourself. I also use them in my squats and just about any other exercise. If I can dumbell press it, then I can surely barbell press it (so far...).

I didn't read the "on my own bit", sorry.
I didn't see it, either. But if he's 16 years old and posting on a forum to get answers, it's a fair assumption.

Last year I had lower back/hip (SI joint) issues and was told by the physio not to lift above my shoulders. [...]

But like I said, there is no way I would not take Fadi's advice or yours for that matter, as you both are more qualified than I (as far as I and anybody else is concerned).
You should always take medical advice over that of a trainer, except when we say, "hmmm, perhaps it would not be bad to seek a second opinion." :)

I didn't see it, either. But if he's 16 years old and posting on a forum to get answers, it's a fair assumption.

You should always take medical advice over that of a trainer, except when we say, "hmmm, perhaps it would not be bad to seek a second opinion." :)

I actually thought I was wrong and actually didn't see it. Wasn't meant to sound like I was being smart. The only time I trained in an actual gym was between 16 and 18. But that was a long time ago (damn). So I suppose you never know.

I like that last bit. Keeps you in the clear either way.

i cant squat, due to a lower back problem. thats why i need the help

Been there. Do you see a Dr or Physio? I got shown a technique I was allowed to do with my back against a wall or beam and squat to just above 90 degrees. Most lifters hate that idea but its worked out for me and its the only lower body stuff I can do at this point due to my illness (I used to ATF squat before that). I just use dumbells at my sides now to add the resistance and I tell you its damn hard (also gives you a nice grip strength workout too which I like for other sports/work).

I've had so many lower back medical issues it defies belief. I have escaped surgery though so I may pale in comparison to many others on the forum.