• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need help with weightlifting shoes

randyyle

Hey guys, got inspired by one of Fadi's post on weightlifting shoes so I've decided to look into it. I was looking at adidas powerlift but i read reviews on them on how the heels start to compress at heavy weight and i intend of having these weight lifting shoes for a long time.

I read around and alot of people have do-wins but the problem is i really don't understand what do-wins are. I researched it and i saw pendlay do-wins and like rogue do-wins and products like 'Olympic Weightlifting Shoes by Do-Win'. So i'm not sure if their a product or brand.

I squat low bar if that helps.

Thank you !

edit: budget - 120-140$ including shipping. If you can, can you post some stores to get them, Also im located in Sydney

watching this thread... the ironedge / kettlebells.com.au website which is in richmond, melbourne has nike romaleos for sale at 200bux and do-wins at 140. But as OP stated, the do-wins are "weight lifting shoes" and not the rogues or pedlays which is what my google searches find on other websites / forum discussions

also - if anyone has tried on or owns the romaleos or do-wins listed on the store website i stated above let me know of opinions on both. I'm tempted to go over and try them on in real life and compare but wondering if the more expensive romaleos are worth getting over the cheaper do-wins

sorry to half hijack your thread, OP

I am ignorant please explain to me the benefit of the weightlifting shoe. That heel looks like it would change the whole dynamic of my squat

I am ignorant please explain to me the benefit of the weightlifting shoe. That heel looks like it would change the whole dynamic of my squat

Hi there Fluffy,

Please have a read of this Sir: Increase your Squat weights instantly!...and just in case I have not mentioned it in that small article of mine, the weightlifting shoes play a big part in eliminating foot "play" which is a good thing in my opinion, looking at it from a foot/ankle safety's point of view.

All power to you mate.

Fadi.

I was looking at adidas powerlift but i read reviews on them on how the heels start to compress at heavy weight and i intend of having these weight lifting shoes for a long time.

Mate, check out the Adidas powerperfect II's. They are the real deal! The "powerlift" is Adidas' cheap crossfit shoe designed of the powerperfect. Making a cheaper shoe means they skimped on the material, hence all the bad reviews.

I've had my powerperfect II's for over two years now and they still look and feel as new as when I first bought them. They're still solid as a rock!

I've been thinking on this too. Apparently my feet are quite unstable when I squat (people see them sort of wobble a little, as if I'm close to rolling my ankle), which are done in runners and orthotics - meaning there is a lot of padding and quite a wedge underneath my ankle.

Looking to get something more stable now, but I'm still going to need the orthotics I reckon - or my ankles will roll in and I'll be in a worse position.

Anyone have experience with squatting with orthotics?

Try some shoes from qwa theyre good and well priced. Ive had mine for a while and have no problems with them. Ive heard some people say the heel is a little high for them but I like it.

The question is why?

It's simply not needed.

Oly shoes, as far as I can tell, helps to increase dorsiflexion. On a super deep high bar squat, this is handy as the knees travel so far forward.

Low bar pl squats you sit back obviously, trying to keep the shins as vertical as possible (levers pending) so what benefit would oly shoes offer over chucks?
They start to shift the load out of the glutes/hammys and more so into the quads.

I used to squat in oly shoes, and high bar.

But after I tore my rec fem for the first time I switched to low bar and in flats and it hurt less.

The exact opposite has been true for a close friend of mine with a torn hammy.

Last edited:
If I squat in chucks with orthotics, I'm getting that wedge and high heel anyway from the orthotic insert - perhaps this would be made worse in oly shoes.

Will give it a go though, will no doubt be better than in my Brooks racers...