• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need help on sldl

John555

Banned
Hello,
I was wondering if:

1. its normal for your squat to be higher than your sldl?

2. whats the proper form on sldl? ive seen tons of videos, explanations and they all seem to be different! Currently I try to keep my legs as straight as possible and lower the weight to the floor and back up again. My back rounds slightly to work my back more i heard?

Thanks so much!

hey there,

not too sure on the first part, i had a higher dl than squat, always have..

second question, its a STIFF leg deadlift, not straight leg... there are only a few key points to remember, chest up, shoulders back, back in its natural arch ( straight ), and drive through with your hips...

thats the krux of it....

theres a lot of confusion between the stiff/straight leg deadlifts and romanian deadlifts. from what i understand you are supposed to do SLDL on a raised platform and go quite low which requires you to round your lower back as part of the exercise. RDL is more like a hamstring stretch with a barbell, you maintain a strong lower back arch, a bit of bend at the knees and break at the hips to lower then pull the hips under to come back up. maintaining your lower back arch will mean the plates probably wont touch the floor unless you have very flexible hammies.

thats my understanding but i never have and never will do a true SLDL.

Fadi and Markos seem to think RDLs and SLDLs are the same
Never heard of that first one dr00. I always do them like I do a Good Morning (except obviously the weight isn't on my shoulders lol)

SLDL - keep the legs straight to the point where your knees aren't locked, then do the deadlift movement only till the point where you can maintain the arch in your lower back. How far down you can go is dependant on a persons flexibility. Most should be able to go just below the knee, some can reach half way down their shin, others might only get to just above the knee.

Note: If you go past the point of keeping the arch in your back (i.e. rounded back), and you haven't been training it progressive resistantly to build strength in that position, you run the risk of injury.

/2cents

Last edited:
I pretty much live on exrx and had never seen that lol
I do it like the one under the heading of straight back straight leg except I hit the ground each rep

SLDL - keep the legs straight to the point where your knees aren't locked, then do the deadlift movement only till the point where you can maintain the arch in your lower back. How far down you can go is dependant on a persons flexibility. Most should be able to go just below the knee, some can reach half way down their shin, others might only get to just above the knee.

Note: If you go past the point of keeping the arch in your back (i.e. rounded back), and you haven't been training it progressive resistantly to build strength in that position, you run the risk of injury.

/2cents

This is exactly how I do them.

Personally, I'd stick with good mornings, I feel a lot safer that way. Also, good mornings are to be done as the second last exercise when your legs are very warm and loose.

Generally speaking, weightlifters do not do any form of dead lifts, but about a year after beginning a weightlifting program where some serious strength has been built up in the quads and glutes; good mornings are introduced into the workout. Back extensions, that’s weighted back extensions are a staple in any weightlifter's program.

So this is how it goes:

You do your workout and always end it like this:

1. Weighted back extensions
2. Abdominal work

OR

1. Good mornings
2. Abdominal work

A weightlifter (and I'm sure a bodybuilder as well) can never have enough strength in his or her trunk/core muscles. In no way am I saying to anyone to give up on their SLD or any dead lift other than your normal dead lift, I’m just expressing my views and my feelings about this movements and what I would choose to do instead to hammer my hammies!

Fadi.

Fadi - I find it odd to do the deads at the end... they are the 4th part of my workout... I figure i would do them near the start, given they are a compound and require a fair amount of strength to prevent injury...

Is it just that your warm at the end of the workout and thats when they are better to be performed?

Fadi isn't talking about the powerlifting form of the deadlift, which is a different ball game to what the thread is about.
Good Mornings/RDLs are basically there to stretch out your hammies as well.
Stretching when "cold" at the start of a workout = fail (I'm guessing this is his reasoning).

Rob Kabbas (1984 silver medalist C&J) has his lifters at Phoenix finish with Good Mornings straight after doing back squats.

Fadi, I'm curious as to why you feel safer doing GM over RDLs?

Last edited:
ok, fair enough... maybe because im on a full body program its not too much of an issue to me...

Ill keep a mental note through

Fadi, what sort of rep range & how many sets is best with goodmornings/back extensions?

-mike

Three sets should suffice Mike. Reps range from 6-20 (done in a progressive overload manner over time), unless you're one of those lifters who easily pumps up well (too well) in the lumber region of the back, in which case I'd limit the reps to between 6-10 (weighted of course).

If your aim is purely strength in the lower back region, then I'd limit the reps to between 3-8. If you want to add the least muscle size (but increase strength nonetheless), then I'd limit the reps to no more than 5 and have 3-5 minutes rest between sets.

I would tend to do more reps with the good mornings and focus on form instead of getting busy with how much I'm lifting. Feel the stretch in the hammies then explode back up to the starting position before slowly sticking your back side out and lowering into a position that feels comfortable. You never want to overstretch (jerk or jolt) the hammies, especially when under tension. So easy does it please Mike.

Fadi.

Rob Kabbas (1984 silver medalist C&J) has his lifters at Phoenix finish with Good Mornings straight after doing back squats.

I think I know them as 'bend-overs', the bar is at the same position as a GM or back squat....you bend over (with the hips), then thrust forward with the hips. They'll be a part of my next cycle. From what I've learned, you're supposed to use a % of your best snatch, to set weight / intensity.

Can you confirm this

I think I know them as 'bend-overs', the bar is at the same position as a GM or back squat....you bend over (with the hips), then thrust forward with the hips. They'll be a part of my next cycle. From what I've learned, you're supposed to use a % of your best snatch, to set weight / intensity.

Can you confirm this
Is that question for me PB? If so, I've never heard of that. In addition, I personally would not go down that road. Good mornings if done incorrectly or with too much weight relative to the exercise itself let alone being based on 1RM snatch or any other movement would invite injury in my opinion.

I know that the snatch and clean pulls are based on one's 1RM in those lifts, and it's usually only between 10-20% more that's all, so as to generate power instead of turning the lift into a strength lift for which it's not (otherwise you'd see weightlifters performing dead lifts instead).

Fadi.