• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need Advice for 2 exercises.

I have been doing deadlifts and bent over rows at the work gym with barbells.

The problem is the barbells are fixed weights and I need something heavier than the heaviest in there.

The only thing available where I can add weight is a smith machine of a preacher curl bar - obviously the smith machine won't work for these two exercise.

So my question is - If I use a preacher curl bar for deadlifts and bent over rows, will anything change? I know the action is the same, but will having my grips at different angles due to the curl of the bar put more focus on muscles in my back that haven't been hit as hard previously?
I don't want to cause injury by chucking on 50 or 60kgs and putting any muscles out.

I know I could use Dumbells - the ones we have in the gym go upto 30 or 35kgs each, but I feel more even when I use both hands on the barbell so I would imagine the preacher would be similar.

Dont u have a bench press there or something just use that bar?

As discussed in a previous thread the angles on the bar may put stress on your forearms If you use really heavy weights. I think the thread is in the injury section but i dont have much time to dig it up atm.

Yeah sorry not much time at the site office...

It was about biceps curls but id imagine it would cause the same issues with other heavy exercises. Dont know if it effects the back tho.

Buy some lengths of chain and wrap them around the fixed weight barbells possibly?? I don't think it would be a wise idea to use an ez curl bar for those two lifts - but I could be wrong on this one, never seen it done, no idea what it would do physically - maybe just try it with lower weight and see how it feels?

Do the barbell rows with one arm. Kinda like a T-Bar row but in the style of a one arm dumbell row..

This must be a small work/apartment block gym.

You should be able to perform the dead lift and one arm bent over rows, using the Smith machine.