• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need a new program

tasgymbrah

Hey guys,

I've been following a westside barbell type program for a while and am now looking at doing a program that is full body for each workout with a bit of volume.

I'm 97kg, my lifts are: deadlift 255kg, squat 170, bench 130. I'm tall so that explains the fact that my deadlift is so much bigger.

Please respond or message me if you have a program for me thanks. I'm at the point where I don't really know enough to design or alter my program and I end up getting confused when searching the net as there are so many programs and so many different opinions.

Sheiko is good if you want to commit long term
29,30,31,32 would be a killer 16 week cycle. Personally i like keeping my training cycles to 6 weeks so i just alternate 3 weeks of high volume with high intensity

Sheiko is good if you want to commit long term
29,30,31,32 would be a killer 16 week cycle. Personally i like keeping my training cycles to 6 weeks so i just alternate 3 weeks of high volume with high intensity

great advice. Almost fail-proof.

Been doing my own adaptation of Bulgarian Method for 3 weeks now without a single day off. Too early to tell results but I'm enjoying it.

T NATION | Maxing on Squats and Deadlifts Every Day

Triples, doubles and singles for compound lifts. olympic squat, front squat, power clean, DL (just speed work, havn't exceeded ~80%), Bench. sometimes some kind of ohp or snatch. Minimal accessory work, a few sets of curls, calf raises or some kind of row here or there. Working up to maxes stopping short of grinding slow ugly reps.

Loving it, but it's a commitment time-wise (I've been doing 8-9 sessions across 7 days a week) and you need to be VERY solid on sleep and nutrition.

Last edited:
I'm 97kg, my lifts are: deadlift 255kg, squat 170, bench 130. I'm tall so that explains the fact that my deadlift is so much bigger.

......I'm at the point where I don't really know enough to design or alter my program.....

You have those lifts and don't know enough to make up your own program, is this a troll:confused::confused::confused:

Also I would have though being tall makes dead lifting harder, as you have to lift the weight a lot higher and move it through a lot more space than a shorter person.

You have those lifts and don't know enough to make up your own program, is this a troll:confused::confused::confused:

Also I would have though being tall makes dead lifting harder, as you have to lift the weight a lot higher and move it through a lot more space than a shorter person.
That's what I was thinking.

Dunno why everyone thinks been able to lift heavy means you can write programs. You just follow a program to get strong, it doesn't teach you to write one.

OP give sheiko a run.

It's pretty difficult to become a good coach. Especially when you coach yourself

No I'm not a troll mate, I've been doing powerlifting training for a little over six months now and have taken my deadlift from 170kg to 255kg, however my squat and bench have not increased as dramatically. This increase was not due to my infinite wisdom, my deadlift just happened to respond well to the westside program whereas my squat and bench not so much.

I tried modifying my program for bench recently, however ended up with sore elbows an wrists from overtraining so this is why I am here asking advice from those more experienced than me as I only have one competition under my belt and only placed 8th out of 15.

No I'm not a troll mate, I've been doing powerlifting training for a little over six months now and have taken my deadlift from 170kg to 255kg, however my squat and bench have not increased as dramatically. This increase was not due to my infinite wisdom, my deadlift just happened to respond well to the westside program whereas my squat and bench not so much.

I tried modifying my program for bench recently, however ended up with sore elbows an wrists from overtraining so this is why I am here asking advice from those more experienced than me as I only have one competition under my belt and only placed 8th out of 15.

I'd be careful with Sheiko then if you have wrist problems
I often use wrist wraps

I think it was coz I thought I was smart by throwing in 50 sets of tricep extension variations and 50 sets of bicep variations with 30 sec rest between, face palm lol.

Well I assumed that with those lifts you would have had a fair idea about training, I am no expert and I am not strength training as such (no competing for me).

Good luck with a new program.

How tall are you and how old??

Most tall people are better deadlifters and shit squatters.

More range of motion but better leverages.

I think it was coz I thought I was smart by throwing in 50 sets of tricep extension variations and 50 sets of bicep variations with 30 sec rest between, face palm lol.
I have an idea of what we can eliminate from your next program. :D

So, the westside template worked well for your deadlift but not so much for squat and bench press. You've been training for PL for a short period of time, but what were you doing before that? This should give some insight into what has/hasn't worked for you, and we can go from there.

Westside tends to cycle through different variations of squats and bench press. Perhaps a program that has you doing the same variations of those two lifts each week would be more effective. A basic periodised program like Ed Coan's classic 12-wk routine starting with 2x10, then scaling down in volume and up in intensity as the weeks go by might be something worth trying, which will give a huge contrast in methodology when compared to Westside.

I was doing bodybuilding type training for about 6 years on and off, I got bigger but now I realise I was just flapping my arms around.

I started sheiko #29 today, was a good work out with plenty of volume.

A few questions: Do you take a 3 minute rest for every set including accesory such as flyes and goodmornings?

My wrists didn't hurt when I benched but as soon as I squatted they caned. I squat with my hands right up near the plates as I have long arms. Do you have any suggestions on how to alleviate this pain? I would prefer to try and fix the problem through technique first before I rely on gear.

Are you supposed to max out on any of the exercises? When I was squatting and benching it felt like I had a few more in the tank after each set.

Cheers

I started sheiko #29 today, was a good work out with plenty of volume.

A few questions: Do you take a 3 minute rest for every set including accesory such as flyes and goodmornings?

My wrists didn't hurt when I benched but as soon as I squatted they caned. I squat with my hands right up near the plates as I have long arms. Do you have any suggestions on how to alleviate this pain? I would prefer to try and fix the problem through technique first before I rely on gear.

I don't have any personal experience using Sheiko so I won't comment on that. But with the wrist, are you grabbing the bar with a full grip like you would benching? If yes, then it could be that you're torquing your wrist in a bad way. Changing to a thumbless grip could help, and depending on where your preferred bar placement is on your traps bringing the hands in might be an option as well.

If you watch a lot of bigger squatters, their hands are on the collars due to lack of mobility or postural issues. Some only have 2 fingers on the bar. But with longer arms it's hard to tell over the internet.