• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Naim Süleymanoğlu

PowerBuilder

Naim Süleymanoğlu (born January 23, 1967 in Ptichar, Bulgaria), formerly known as Naim Suleimanov (Bulgarian: Наим Сюлейманов), is a Turkish World and Olympic Champion in weightlifting. He won three Olympic Championships, seven World Championships and six European Championships and earned 46 world records.

Born in Bulgaria of Turkish descent, he was nicknamed "The Pocket Hercules" due to his small stature (1.47 meters, approx. 4 feet 10 inches). He is the second of only seven lifters to clean and jerk three times their bodyweight.

He set his first world record at the age 16 but missed his first chance at Olympic success in 1984 when Bulgaria joined the Soviet boycott of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

Source - Wikipedia

[YOUTUBE]wVH0H0Dbpro&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Naim Süleymanoğlu CJ 190kg at 60kg.​

This is a great video. It shows in slow motion the triple bodyweight clean & jerk. The cleans fantastic, he pulls off (pardon the pun) the first & second pull quite well. Keeping the bar as close to his body as long as he can. During the first pull you can see the force he produces with his legs to lift the weight up. Then during the 2nd pull, he drives his hips through the bar to get the bar higher. Then once it's met it's full velocity, he dives under it.

The jerk portion of the lift is as good as the clean. He squats (though it's not formally a squat) down to gather force from the hips to elevate the bar. Once it's as high as it's going to get he lowers himself under the bar in a very good position. The angles of his ankles & knees could be better. Let's not forget that it was triple bodyweight and that he got it and was as strong as a house.
Very good technician.

I've been a fan of Naim for almost as long as I've been into weightlifting. If anybody's got the right genetics for weightlifting. It's him!

Last edited:
This is freaky, I was just discussing him yesterday with my coach after one of the blokes was sharing a story about him

I think he defected in Melbourne after the 1986 World Cup final.

One of the first men to clean & jerk over triple bodyweight, absolutely amazing

holy crap, that squat is absolutely freaking amazing.

essentially, a triple bodyweight, ATG front squat. absolutely incredible.

Imagine what he could deadlift!!

A lot of them don't deadlift much more than their C&J, esp if they have great techniques. I read Bill Starr's account of one of the champion American lifters from back then (forgot his name, but he was a teenager at the time). The guy C&J 345 lbs, close to what Starr & his mate were doing, but the older guys were deadlifting an easy 600 lbs while the young bloke could barely pull 405 lbs.