• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Myths Surrounding High Protein Diet Safety

great article. Loving Layne's new blogs.

me too.
I can personally vouch for the "high protein won't decrease bone density".
I've increased my bone mineral density/bone mass steadily over the past 12 months. If anything, I'd agree it helps! Not the only factor but it's not detrimental at all.

Myth busted :D

I feel great now that I am no longer following the nutritional dogma that I danced along to for years. From the data I have I found, strength based athletes don't need much more than 1.7g kg/day of protein. Of course every 'body' is different, so nitrogen balance is a very personal thing. Having the '2.8g kg/day' amount is quite excessive. Data also suggests that athletes don't need more protein than non-resistance training people. While I'm here I'll quickly say calories should be split into about 55% carbs, 25% fat and 20% pro.

Oxidation of amino acids is pretty much a last resort for the body, in terms of turning muscle into glucose. This would take literally hours of high intensity work. Most of us aren't doing that. The oxidation of free fatty acids will happen first..after muscular glycogen is depleted which takes about 2 hours (depending on intensity of movement). I'd talk about post workout nutrition but I've covered too much now.

I feel great now that I am no longer following the nutritional dogma that I danced along to for years. From the data I have I found, strength based athletes don't need much more than 1.7g kg/day of protein. Of course every 'body' is different, so nitrogen balance is a very personal thing. Having the '2.8g kg/day' amount is quite excessive. Data also suggests that athletes don't need more protein than non-resistance training people. While I'm here I'll quickly say calories should be split into about 55% carbs, 25% fat and 20% pro.

Oxidation of amino acids is pretty much a last resort for the body, in terms of turning muscle into glucose. This would take literally hours of high intensity work. Most of us aren't doing that. The oxidation of free fatty acids will happen first..after muscular glycogen is depleted which takes about 2 hours (depending on intensity of movement). I'd talk about post workout nutrition but I've covered too much now.

hello PB ... so nice to have you back ... where have you been? :)

you make good points too...
agree that some of the proposed levels of pro are excessive for most of us!

Do bodybuilders need more pro than a hammer thrower or rower? Maybe. Maybe not. 2.8g kg/day is a lot more than the 1.7g kg/day tha the AIS recommend. Let's not forget what the AIS do and how science driven....and their avoidance of bro-science which often goes undetected.

Do bodybuilders need more pro than a hammer thrower or rower? Maybe. Maybe not. 2.8g kg/day is a lot more than the 1.7g kg/day tha the AIS recommend. Let's not forget what the AIS do and how science driven....and their avoidance of bro-science which often goes undetected.

Maybe we should look at what other countries recommend rather than the AIS after our poor Olympic performance. Lol.

The benefits of a high protein diet are best illustrated by looking at those that eat a low protein diet. The reason asian races have a small stature and poor eyesight is purely due to a low protein intake in their diet.

The benefits of a high protein diet are best illustrated by looking at those that eat a low protein diet. The reason asian races have a small stature and poor eyesight is purely due to a low protein intake in their diet.

Poor logical argument.

Maybe we should look at what other countries recommend rather than the AIS after our poor Olympic performance.

There are many factors contributing to who gets brass at international sporting events. Moldova is smaller in population ...yet took home 2 weightlifting bronze medals, 2 more than New Zealand. Factors include cultural outlook, political national style (the more liberal a nation is, the less brass they gain. Communist Russia, china, north korea, Bulgaria...). Other factors include geographical climate, hosting the event, tradition. Tradition? Its tradition for Aus to do swimming and so forth so much effort goes into that development. The wealth of the nation is also a big factor.

Drugs help....but isn't a defying factor, since if 6 competitors are in a race and 4 of them have used PED, its the other variables that will determine the winner.

Care to explain where my logic is missing pb?

Eating a high protein diet makes people bigger seems fucking logical to me. Groups of people that eat little protein in their diet are of small stature.

If you can't connect the dots your the one with poor logic.

Poor logical argument.

There are many factors contributing to who gets brass at international sporting events. Moldova is smaller in population ...yet took home 2 weightlifting bronze medals, 2 more than New Zealand. Factors include cultural outlook, political national style (the more liberal a nation is, the less brass they gain. Communist Russia, china, north korea, Bulgaria...). Other factors include geographical climate, hosting the event, tradition. Tradition? Its tradition for Aus to do swimming and so forth so much effort goes into that development. The wealth of the nation is also a big factor.

Drugs help....but isn't a defying factor, since if 6 competitors are in a race and 4 of them have used PED, its the other variables that will determine the winner.

You obviously missed the LOL on the end of my post pointing out that it was not to be taken 100% seriously.

yep - to much white rice with no vitamins or minerals in it

Pretty weird that processed rice polished/milled - white rice is cheaper than unprocessed/partially milled - brown , black or red rice

No just lack of protein lack of good nutrition but thats changed a lot in the last 50 years
Look at the younger generations in China , Korea and Japan the heights are shooting up to 6 foot+.

Last edited:
yep - to much white rice with no vitamins or minerals in it

Pretty weird that processed rice polished/milled - white rice is cheaper than unprocessed/partially milled - brown , black or red rice

No just lack of protein lack of good nutrition but thats changed a lot in the last 50 years
Look at the younger generations in China , Korea and Japan the heights are shooting up to 6 foot+.

Yeah mate I read a study somewhere that the average male shoe size in japan has gone up two sizes since the 80's and they attribute it to eating a more western diet ie. less rice more meat.

They are eating like us now more protein and fats and getting bigger. A 6 foot asian didn't exist before now their common.

Care to explain where my logic is missing pb?

Eating a high protein diet makes people bigger seems fucking logical to me. Groups of people that eat little protein in their diet are of small stature.

If you can't connect the dots your the one with poor logic.

How sure are you that it's mainly the amino acid making people bigger and not the free fatty acids or the direct forms of carbohydrates? Bro-science dictates the more pro the bigger you get.

How sure are you that it's mainly the amino acid making people bigger and not the free fatty acids or the direct forms of carbohydrates? Bro-science dictates the more pro the bigger you get.

Dunno maybe I should get online and dig out some obscure studies that prove you wrong but instead I will concede you could be right. I'm no nutritionist I spose I was just looking at it a little more broadly.

It is understandable thinking, that a moderate-high protein diet encourages muscular development. It does not happen in a vaccine though.

I can't be bothered finding it but i think Max or Dave posted a study showing better muscle retention when cutting on 2.6g/kg protein vs 2g/kg or something similar to that.

I can't be bothered finding it but i think Max or Dave posted a study showing better muscle retention when cutting on 2.6g/kg protein vs 2g/kg or something similar to that.

Yeah thats why alan and all the experts recommend. 2.2-3g per kg when cutting and not asuch needed in a surplus. Im only close to 2.5g per kg