• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

my program - feedback required

joshcore

i'm new to this so please bare with me :)

sex: male
height: 6'0'
weight: 65kgs

GOAL: want to reach 70kgs as quickly as possible, willing to work extremely hard to get there!

Supplements (what i have recently purchased):
Creatine Energy Muscle Gain Nutrition Pure Powder
WPC whey protein powder
NSP Beef-Liver 2000 (NSP Research Nutrition - Power Liver 2000 (500))

Diet:
breakfast:
bowl of cereal, protein shake, beef liver

snack:
fruit

protein shake
WORKOUT

lunch:
2x sangas - (wholemeal bread, advocado, tomato, chicken)
protein shake

snack:
fruit

Dinner:
pasta (wholemeal), veggies (broc, cauli, carrot, potato, corn, peas)

late night:
2x sangas - (wholemeal bread, advocado, tomato, chicken).
protein shake

---------------------------------------------------------------
Current workout program:
Monday: CHEST
flat bench 3 x 15
pushups 3 x 30
dumbell flyes 3 x 10

Tuesday: LEGS
hack squat 3 x 15
squats 8 x 4
leg press 8 x 4
leg extension 8 x 4
leg curls 8 x4

Wednesday: BACK
pull-ups 3 x 15
pull downs 8 x 4
drop set row 4 x 12-10-8-4
Machine row supre set 4x4

Thursday: SHOULDERS
lateral raise 4 x 12
dumbell shoulder press 3 x 15
shrugs 8 x 20
reverse delts 3 x 10
machine press 3 x 12

Friday: Bicep/Tricep
alternate dumbell curl 5 x 15
incline hammer 8 x 8
ez bar curl 5 x 5
single arm tri extension 5 x 15
tri press down 5 x 15
seated tri extension 5 x 10
-------------------------------------------------------------
all exercises with 20 second gap or as little as possible in between.
-------------------------------------------------------------

been doing this for the last 12 weeks - seeing little results, not really bulking up just becomming more defined.

im thinking my diet needs to be better - eat more, different foods.
im also thinking i might not be lifting as much as i should .;. need to lift heavier weights?

1. what am i doing wrong
2. help me
3. thank you :)

reading your diet i thought ur losing weight or something???
eggs, beef, chicken , tuna, salmon,oats, MEAT, pasta,
your snacks are FRUIT!. 90% water , instead change it to a burger or a steak sandwich.
change the protein shake to a 500+ calorie weight gainer.
Start counting how many calories each food using online calculators and research. try to have 3000 - 3500 and you should see more results.
you'll pack it on within 6 weeks
dont use body weight exercises, use 6-10 rep exercises that load body! try it man hope you reach your goal

google or search this forum for the 5x5 program.

also user HULK has posted some great online books for foods/nutrition that help you with your goals.

Spend 20 minutes looking through this site thoroughly and you will either have your answers or the best start you could hope for.

regarless of what you do, 90% of your growth is going to come from 2 key areas...eating enough protein before and after your workouts and lifting heavier weights for lower reps.

your muscles take in the most nutrients during and after your workout. SO make sure you take about 30-45g protein about 50mins before your workout, mixed with a bit of creatine. THis will fuel your muscles during the workout period.

Then when you have finished your workout, the muscles are starting to break down and are most receptive to the nutrients. So again within 30mins of your workout finishing take another 30-45g protein, but mix it with a clean carb source. The carbs will protect the muscles from breaking down while the protein is sucked into the muscles. The protein should be a liquid form like a shake for quick absorption.

When you are doing your workout, always push for heavier weights and less reps. If muscles grew by doing lots of reps, your legs would be massive from walking everyday. Muscles only grow by stress, which is best delivered through heavy weights and low reps of 4-6.

Do 1 warm up set with light weights to make sure you are stretched then do 2-3 sets of serious weights increasing as you go.

For my chest, I do bench press as one of my exercises. I start my warm up set with a bench press of 60kg for 8 reps. Higher reps but lower weight when warming up. Just to make sure I am stretched and wont hurt myself.

then I do the following
1 set of 4-6 reps at 120kg
1 set of 4-6 reps at 140kg
1 set of 4-6 reps at 160kg

depending on the day and how I am feeling, I might do 2 sets of 4-6 at 140kg.

choose 3 exericses per body part but have a break between sets.

And suck down that water during the workouts.

It has worked for me, as I have found big increases in strength.

hope it helps.

Last edited:
don't worry joshcore.

when I first started lifting, I could hardly bench press 40kg for reps.

just keep pushing yourself and dont be worried about people looking at you in the gym like you are some sort of freak because you do heavy weights, just do it.

give it 3-6 months on this sort of program, and you should be able to lift double what you do now.

hey guys - thanks for all the feedback.
ive made the following changes:

new program - going with the 'stronglift 5x5'

diet - snacks have been changed from fruit into eggs, meat, nuts/almonds etc...
breakfast - oats

will give it 10 weeks!

ok mate.
will measure up and take a few pics for a before and after scenario, fingers crossed i reach the big 70kg's :)

regarless of what you do, 90% of your growth is going to come from 2 key areas...eating enough protein before and after your workouts and lifting heavier weights for lower reps.

your muscles take in the most nutrients during and after your workout. SO make sure you take about 30-45g protein about 50mins before your workout, mixed with a bit of creatine. THis will fuel your muscles during the workout period.

Then when you have finished your workout, the muscles are starting to break down and are most receptive to the nutrients. So again within 30mins of your workout finishing take another 30-45g protein, but mix it with a clean carb source. The carbs will protect the muscles from breaking down while the protein is sucked into the muscles. The protein should be a liquid form like a shake for quick absorption.

When you are doing your workout, always push for heavier weights and less reps. If muscles grew by doing lots of reps, your legs would be massive from walking everyday. Muscles only grow by stress, which is best delivered through heavy weights and low reps of 4-6.

Do 1 warm up set with light weights to make sure you are stretched then do 2-3 sets of serious weights increasing as you go.

For my chest, I do bench press as one of my exercises. I start my warm up set with a bench press of 60kg for 8 reps. Higher reps but lower weight when warming up. Just to make sure I am stretched and wont hurt myself.

then I do the following
1 set of 4-6 reps at 120kg
1 set of 4-6 reps at 140kg
1 set of 4-6 reps at 160kg

depending on the day and how I am feeling, I might do 2 sets of 4-6 at 140kg.

choose 3 exericses per body part but have a break between sets.

And suck down that water during the workouts.

It has worked for me, as I have found big increases in strength.

hope it helps.

I have to admit although im nowhere near that strong that sort of mentality is what works the best for me too. I find now more and more im doing heavier weight with fewer reps.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat, but not every way is created equal. But time and again I have seen that nothing is more effective than heavy reps for fewer sets to produce the best gains. Make the most of your time, effort and money by following this advice, it has worked for me and the bodybuilders i know.

Steer clear of weight gainers, most are full of maltodextrin which is a fairly mediate / quick acting carbohydrate. Your body can only produce muscle at a certain max rate if your doing everything right, the last thing you want to do is add on a whole lot of fat with the muscle you are now going to gain, because your just making more work for yourself later on.

Keep the diet clean, unprocessed, and protein centred especially around bracketing your workout.

If money is no option then add in a scoop of caseinate with your scoop of whey powder before bed and then again in the morning for breakfast, because caesine is an anti-catabolic slow realease protein, it will help prevent your body catabolising the muscle you have earned already.

Everybody likes an equation: change in muscle size = muscle you gain - muscle your body breaks down. If you can reduce the amount of muscle your body breaks down, your going to gain size quicker.

Hope this helps

* oh by the way, keep pushing yourself each week to increase the weight. Too many people lift medium heavy weights, and think thats all they can do. It takes a fair amount of effort and focus to lift the weight they are lifting but it doesnt take all that much more effort and they could easily add on a few kgs more than what they are currently doing. Just make sure you do it safe and dont get caught under the bar.

Last edited: