• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My future home gym (maybe...)

Oliver, I want to do some power/olympic type movements, and the full set is out of stock till mid-jan.
(they are bringing in a new type of plates, with better centers and with the 20's and 25's the same thickness as the 15's)

This is the middle ground and I could add maybe the 10kg and smaller as I progress, then when all is repaid slowly purchase some better quality bumpers.

Would you happen to know of any better quality bumpers at at a comparable price?

I don't, bumpers seem to be the sort of thing where you buy quality or not at all. The new ones sound good though.

They do sound good, maybe I should buy the normal plates now and keep some extra cash until they come out in a month or so.......hmm, we will see

Agreed. Use the cash from the bumpers to get more weights. You can lower power cleans anyway. That's how the old guys used to do it.

Or simply not do them. Most powerlifters/bodybuilders would be better served with a bent row anyway.

Or do both. I don't see how rows are a substitute for powercleans. Totally different exercises.

Bent rows shit on power cleans for bodybuilding/powerlifting purposes because they have a big effect on back mass.

I like explosive lifts they are interesting, but when their equipment (decent bumpers, a bar with whip and some kind of platform) costs as much as a commercial rack, flat bench, olympic barbell set and accessories you really need to ask yourself if your interest in explosive lifts is worth pursuing.

Guys, it should be noted that for the first few weeks, these plates will be used on concrete flooring

It may be bad for the lifespan of the bumpers, but I can imagine much worse happening if Rubber coated plates were dropped (the stands would catch them by the plate, not the bar).

Oli, Jason trains at PTC, he is not a BB or PL, powercleans are superior to those exercises you mentioned for Jason.

Oli, Jason trains at PTC, he is not a BB or PL, powercleans are superior to those exercises you mentioned for Jason.

I'm reading the ed coan routine for the 10th time but is seems like once again they omitted the powercleans...

At the end of the day ask yourself do you need bumpers? We got some for our gym because there was a need but if it was just me id never use bumpers in my life - thats just me though.

If your going to be doing oly lifts then they are a must - if not dont get them.

Powersports. Sure if your going to compete in Olympic lifting they are needed. But for the average lifter doing powercleans once or twice a week. I don't see them as a must. Just lower your cleans that's how they used to do it in oly lifting.

If you do oly lifting alot over the week you will start to understand how bumpers make life alot easier + the life of the bar your using,ground etc etc....

Of course they are not a MUST MUST MUST HAVE - but I think for anyone looking at doing oly lifting every week then I think its a VERY good idea to really look at getting some.

+ you can still use the weights for other exercises such as bench, squat, rows whatever so you can cut down on the amount of normal plates you will buy overall.

At the end of the day like I said I hardly ever do oly lifting maybe 1-2 movements over a month/every 2 months - they are not a big part of my program at all just because Im not a big believer in them for my overall goal - but if I was doing oly movements every week then id want to be using them.

I soppose every plate on the bar doesnt have to be a bumper aswell, not too many people are going to be cleaning more than 100kg, so maybe just get 2 or 4 20kg bumpers of decent quality, you can still add more normal plates if required,

BUt atleast get bumpers with solid metal cores, not small sheet bits of copper or aluminium, a solid metal hub.

Here is my thing: If a home gym is going to work for you you need to get utility out of what you have. Buying a power rack gives you that because you can do literally hundreds of exercises. Buying a reverse lateral machine which is as big as your power rack doesnt.

Have an idea where you want your gym to go - Bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting - and buy accordingly. Spending 2K on a bumper set up because you 'want to try powercleans' is a bit of a fail imo and after a few more purchases like that your simple, cost effective home gym is no longer so simple and cost effective.

In the end its your money not mine.

Spending 2K on a bumper set up because you 'want to try powercleans' is a bit of a fail imo

Whoa, 2K is a bit of an exaggeration, I'm only looking at getting a pair of 15 or 20's. If something happens at least I know ALL my plates are not going to shatter on impact. If I fail, the stands would catch the plates, not the bar like in a powerack, so plates that will not shatter from being dropped are a comfort I am willing to spend an extra $150-$200.

BTW, If I was buying a powerack, I would go rubber coated or steel, no question about it.

as someone mentioned earlier only the bumpers with the solid metal cores are going to go the distance. So far the only ones like that on the market are the abc's and I think they're $15/kg. Most people will want a bar with whip which usually sets you back around $500. I'd make a plywood platform or matting as well. Do the maths it aint cheap.

you dont need good bumpers, a good bar and a lifting platform to do powercleans.

get some cheap bumpers. they'll last enough time for you do decide whether you need good bumpers or no bumpers at all (2-3 years, maybe more especially if its just you using them).

also they looks way cooler, which will have a positive effect on your mood and lifting. I love looking at my bar with bumpers on, even if its just a pair of 15s.

Haz, I found some bumpers with solid metal hubs, but I dunno.....

Now, it's the AK rubber coated plates AND

-An ABC powerbar

OR

-2 x 15kg bumper plates (quality???) + GD 600kg rated barbell

The bumpers look good, but unless I know how they perform I do not want to spend the money, and find they are useless...... Has anybody used these, they say they are always open to comparisons, maybe I should ask for a drop testing video??

Plates are here:
Cybermarket

Am going with the ABC bar and 147.5kg AK rubber coated plates.

Friday, am going to pick up the stands (thankyou markos, see you tomorrow as well)
go to ABC (they only have the ladies knurling, will see which one suits then order or buy)
then to AK to pickup the plates (assuming they are ready)

Will spend tomorrow ringing AK and ABC to organise prices, and pickup/ordering

P.S. I remember AK used to give a 10% discount to PTC clients, is this discontinued as the site will not accept the code

Guys, Thankyou for helping me with the decision

Cheers
Jason