• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My first squats

Tregs

Hi guys I've taken ur advice an now doing squats. start doing deadlifts tomorrow so I thought I'd post a 2 videos of me squating so u guys can give me some tips now I know the weights are light and i probably could squat lower but I just don't want to put to much pressure on my knee just yet
8b8a3dce.mp4

76e51b37.mp4

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll70/tregs/8b8a3dce.mp4
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll70/tregs/76e51b37.mp4

Last edited:
Hmm.... I'm on my phone so I'll keep it brief.

1- get out of the smith machine, squat with a barbell, or just bodyweight. The smith machine forces your bar in a straight path, which may not be natural.

2- footwear. Soft heeled runners are the worst foot wear for squats. You need something which will give you a soild base. Squat shoes or chucks/volleys work best.

3- depth. That's a 1/4 squat you are doing. You need to be going to parallel at a MINIMUM. Squatting deep will not ruin your knees. Let the ego take a hit and remove some weight until you can squat to the correct depth.

4- the pad on your back. Learn to squat without it.

On the bright side, at least your squatting :).

Thanx for the advice I'm only worried about my knee because I had a full knee reco last December

Oh I see.

Well if I were you, I would be going back to bodyweight squats working to increase and regain your full range of motion.

Then I would slowly add weight.

Just adding on top of what sticky said -

About the padding -
1. AlOT of my clients come in asking for a pad to squat since most come from fitness first gyms. The reason they ask for a pad is that they squat with the bar resting on their spine where the bone is.. This causes major discomfort as u descend into the lift.

When approaching the bar SQUEEZE your traps together to create a nice meaty cushion which u can now rest the bar on. This also expands the chest and outwards and keeps the body tight

Your on a smith machine so its also hard to see if u will have any issues when going to free weights..

Let us know how u go :)

That's exactly right big fella.

Any questions, just fire away. There are a number of people who will be willing to help a brother squat :).

I don't totally agree with squatting without a pad (unless your planning to compete in PL comps). If you can keep form and its comfortable, why not use it.

I don't totally agree with squatting without a pad (unless your planning to compete in PL comps). If you can keep form and its comfortable, why not use it.

1. Numerous times i have personally had pads slipping or moving slighlty on the heavier weights when it got close to my 1rm's.. At lighter weights say under 100kg the "compression" on the padding is much less than say at 200kg where the last thing u need to worry about is your centre of gravity moving along the bar due to a slipping pad.
Most Fitness places do not have the best padding and u can get it tight arounf the bar to a certain extent.

2. Ive found that i can feel the weight throughout the phases of the squat with the naked bar rather than the padding. An advanced squatter needs to know and feel where he is sticking/failing throughout the lift i feel u cannot get a "sense" of this with the pad.

3. Some pads are way to big and thick making the the bar sway to and fro due to the elevated hieight. This ive found can be negative to a untrained squatter new to it since most have some form of inbalance when squatting.

4. If your doing the squat right and placing the bar correctly u should feel very little discomfort when squatting on the traps.

finally - It makes u a pussy if u use it. I have girls at PTC sydney doing 100kg squats with no pain whatsoever on their back.

the bar doesnt sit correctly with the padding on it, it can move around to much.. get used to it without it., after a bit its not an issue, bar sits more solidly on your back, sits in the groove and doesnt move ever, with the pad its harder to hold onto

If you think it hurts squatting without a pad, try using a bench shirt, makes squatting without a pad feel like a massage.

1. Numerous times i have personally had pads slipping or moving slighlty on the heavier weights when it got close to my 1rm's.. At lighter weights say under 100kg the "compression" on the padding is much less than say at 200kg where the last thing u need to worry about is your centre of gravity moving along the bar due to a slipping pad.
Most Fitness places do not have the best padding and u can get it tight arounf the bar to a certain extent.

2. Ive found that i can feel the weight throughout the phases of the squat with the naked bar rather than the padding. An advanced squatter needs to know and feel where he is sticking/failing throughout the lift i feel u cannot get a "sense" of this with the pad.

3. Some pads are way to big and thick making the the bar sway to and fro due to the elevated hieight. This ive found can be negative to a untrained squatter new to it since most have some form of inbalance when squatting.

4. If your doing the squat right and placing the bar correctly u should feel very little discomfort when squatting on the traps.

finally - It makes u a pussy if u use it. I have girls at PTC sydney doing 100kg squats with no pain whatsoever on their back.

Agreed. A big loose pad will cause instability. Some pads are quite small and fit tight to the bar which is alot like someone putting a towel around the bar or wearing a bulky shirt. I'm not advocating the use of a pad just another perspective for beginners who might be thinking about it. Yes it's best without it as you will get used to it but if you can't squat without it, there are choices as long as form is still kept tight and done correctly.

Its one of those cases where it might only be 1cm thick but that makes it 1cm away from optimal.

It changes your centre of gravity by 1cm and the position of your elbows and hads by 1cm.

When you deadlift do you want your shoes to be 1cm thicker because it feels comfy?