• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

MMA Training Programs

DKD

Private Dancer
Seems there's a few MMA fighters on the forum. I don't do it, but love watching it. I'm interested about what sort of training programs you follow for your MMA pursuits.

I always find it interesting catching glimpses of the fighters training on those "Countdown to UFC ..." specials, but I don't think I've ever seen an actual MMA weight training routine anywhere on the web. Not that I've actively looked it up though.

Quite a few guys you see in the UFC have pretty impressive physiques. Not competition level bb type physique, but still impressive. Obviously these guys would do a lot of conditioning, but many of them still retain plenty of noticeable muscle even with all the conditioning work.

Sometimes I think an adapted version of an MMA training routine may be of benefit to your average newb training just for aesthetics rather than MMA. Would be interested to hear what you guys do.

I'm pressed for time at the moment but i'll throw up some MMA programs later.

They train to be able to go all out for 5x5 minute rounds. To be honest, it is some of the most brutal training. Fatigue sets in so quickly, but it's great for conditioning.

I've found a few around, and they're all completely different.

Sean Sherk basically follows a BB split with conditioning inbetween, GSP does gymnastics and plyometrics predominantly, Frank Mir I've seen doing power snatches, tyre flips etc. Alistair Overeem trains with the Dutch strongman team. Randy Couture mainly does complex/conditioning training (which is probably why he gets over powered so easily in heavyweight but anyway)

Maybe 10 years ago Andy.

Nowadays though most guys are on a relatively close playing field as far as their fighting skill goes. Guys at the very top though like Fitch and GSP gain a lot of their advantage due to their physical conditioning.

DKD, go to Sherdog MMA forum and have a hunt around there. From memory their is a thread dedicated to actual training programs of the guys in UFC, Strikeforce etc

Shannon from double dragon/south side strong man told me ALL his fighters have to lift something like:

deadlift (double overhand hook grip) 2.5-3 x BW
Squat 2 - 2.5 x BW
Bench 1.5 - 2 x BW
Press 1 - 1.5 x BW

That's awesome.

I still prefer boxing though...

This conditioning circuit looks pretty effective
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5fr-utHbUM"]conditioning circuit - YouTube[/ame]

its pretty much just basic lifting, with emphasis on movements that help the sport (overhead pressing) with great conditioning and also great technique.