• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meal Frequency

MaxBrenner

Increased meal frequency does not promote greater ... [Br J Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet.
Cameron JD, Cyr MJ, Doucet E.
Source
Behavioural and Metabolic Research Unit, School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Abstract
There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study.

Meal frequency and energy balance. Meal frequency and energy balance. [Br J Nutr. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI
Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM.
Source
INSERM U341, Hotel Dieu de Paris, France.
Abstract
Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people's habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a 'nibbling' meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship. However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies. We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure. Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults. A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency ... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
Stote KS, Baer DJ, Spears K, Paul DR, Harris GK, Rumpler WV, Strycula P, Najjar SS, Ferrucci L, Ingram DK, Longo DL, Mattson MP.
Source
Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Beltsville, MD, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Although consumption of 3 meals/d is the most common pattern of eating in industrialized countries, a scientific rationale for this meal frequency with respect to optimal health is lacking. A diet with less meal frequency can improve the health and extend the lifespan of laboratory animals, but its effect on humans has never been tested.

OBJECTIVE:
A pilot study was conducted to establish the effects of a reduced-meal-frequency diet on health indicators in healthy, normal-weight adults.

DESIGN:
The study was a randomized crossover design with two 8-wk treatment periods. During the treatment periods, subjects consumed all of the calories needed for weight maintenance in either 3 meals/d or 1 meal/d.

RESULTS:
Subjects who completed the study maintained their body weight within 2 kg of their initial weight throughout the 6-mo period. There were no significant effects of meal frequency on heart rate, body temperature, or most of the blood variables measured. However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol.

CONCLUSIONS:
Normal-weight subjects are able to comply with a 1 meal/d diet. When meal frequency is decreased without a reduction in overall calorie intake, modest changes occur in body composition, some cardiovascular disease risk factors, and hematologic variables. Diurnal variations may affect outcomes.

Frequent feeding delays the gastric emptying of a subsequent meal. Frequent feeding delays the gastric emptying of a s... [Appetite. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
Jackson SJ, Leahy FE, Jebb SA, Prentice AM, Coward WA, Bluck LJ.
Source
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Elsie Widdowson Laboratory, Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NL, UK. sarah.jackson@mrc-hnr.cam.ac.uk
Abstract
To assess the suitability of the 13C-octanoic acid breath test for measuring gastric emptying in circumstances other than the post-absorptive state, a preliminary study was performed where 6 hourly spaced isoenergetic meals preceded the determination of gastric emptying of a subsequent 2 MJ meal. Emptying was measured in three individuals on four separate occasions, with a reproducibility of 8%. A crossover study was then conducted to test the hypothesis that meal frequency can modulate the gastric emptying of a subsequent meal, with the potential to influence appetite regulation. Sixteen subjects were fed to energy balance, receiving food either as 2 isoenergetic meals 3 h apart or 6 isoenergetic meals fed hourly. Gastric emptying of a subsequent 2 MJ meal was investigated. Visual analogue scales were used throughout to assess appetite. The maximum rate of gastric emptying was unchanged but the onset of emptying was delayed by the more frequent feeding pattern. There was no significant difference in subjective appetite before or after the test meal. In conclusion, short-term increases in feeding frequency delayed the gastric emptying of a subsequent meal, but significant effects on post-meal appetite could not be demonstrated.

Meaning at the end of the day, gastric emptying is EQUAL between subjects following a low meal frequency or high meal frequency of equal calorie balance.

I like it when I see people using peer reviewed stuff and not just a random link. However, always make sure to get to the methods and don't stop at the abstract. Some studies have some methodological fallacies.

Anyhow, from what I can gather from the studies. Moar meels (liek 8/day) is gud fa keeping da fire stoked, broe? :)

I like it when I see people using peer reviewed stuff and not just a random link. However, always make sure to get to the methods and don't stop at the abstract. Some studies have some methodological fallacies.

Anyhow, from what I can gather from the studies. Moar meels (liek 8/day) is gud fa keeping da fire stoked, broe? :)
Yes some do have methodological flaws, so that is why I do not post them :)

As for the abstract, it is just makes reading simple for all the lazy people who don't have the attention span :D

For the most part, I link the full text but if not the full text can be found if the link is clicked on :)

Yeah 8 meals a day is as good for metabolism as doing fit ball squats is for toning! :D

Yes some do have methodological flaws, so that is why I do not post them :)

As for the abstract, it is just makes reading simple for all the lazy people who don't have the attention span :D

For the most part, I link the full text but if not the full text can be found if the link is clicked on :)

Yeah 8 meals a day is as good for metabolism as doing fit ball squats is for toning! :D

Heh, I know Max - wasn't directed at you. Abstract is far easier to read. Speaking generally. I've had people hand me in articles and I know they've just read the abstract and nothing else.

I have to admit at one stage I was doing the same :D

Heh, I know Max - wasn't directed at you. Abstract is far easier to read. Speaking generally. I've had people hand me in articles and I know they've just read the abstract and nothing else.

I have to admit at one stage I was doing the same :D

Hand in?

What do you do mate?

some people have jobs and don't have time to read the whole article at work :p (obviously not jobs in the nutrition industry!)