• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maximum Anaerobic or Aerobic Speed

PowerBuilder

In the endurance section of my STAC course, I"ve just come across a concept that I'm not familiar with. It's about testing for the maximum Anaerobic or Aerobic Speed. It's pretty straight forward & easy to understand.

For testing the max aerobic speed is simple. Build an event that last between 5 & 8 minutes. Lets say an 2000 m rowing event.

Lets say that Craig 8:20 seconds minutes exactly to row 2000 meters. You simply divide the distance by the seconds it took him to do it. So divide 2000 by 500 seconds. This gives a MAS of 4.

For an anaerobic alactic event, it'll last 5-8 seconds. So 100 meter dash.

For anaerobic lactic event, it'll last about 30 seconds.

For an anaerobic alactic event, it'll last 5-8 seconds. So 100 meter dash.

Jesus you must be a fast runner PB. Maybe you mean 40-60m sprints.

Basically all those tests are just to quantify gains made in training which is great for scientific studies so we can see what works but really in the field it is best to judge someone by their on field performance. I think these days test batteries, like the NFL combine, have too much an importance place upon them and that's why you have Joe Defranco training guys how to perform best at them to get a bigger pay day. While Joe's athletes do get better in the game from their training if these combine tests were less important the guys would probably be even better players due to putting less time into training for these tests and more into just being able to perform better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Great answer.

My driving instructor taught me how to get my license, not drive. That's what De Franco does.

Great answer.

My driving instructor taught me how to get my license, not drive. That's what De Franco does.

That is quite a good way to put it, I remember my driving instructor (can you actually remember that Markos? I know it was long ago) basically just going through what to do in the test with me, doing the normally chosen runs, telling me what and what not to do. In the end he made me a better driver but really my few lessons with him were mostly about how to pass the test.

Jerome Breen, he has now taken Max for a couple of lessons.

I had 2 lessons and 45 minutes before the test, thats total hours behind the wheel.

I got a score of 87 with less than 3 hours driving, thats what a sham license testing is. I couldnt drive.

Wow your memory is still pretty good, that had to be what 25 years or more ago?

Hey PB, what is the S&C course info and testing like? Lucky me gets to skip level 1 when I go for it but it would be interesting to know what kind of information they provide and how they test you on it.

ah, i understand what you fella's are saying...about somebody's MAS outside of a game or competition is one thing....and how they act while under pressure while in a competition is another thing. That being said though, i think there's a lot of merit to if an athlete's MAS score goes from 6 to 5 for example.

Dave, the STAC level 1 course isn't too bad. The online course i'm doing now involves following an online powerpoint slide show thing, filling out a workbook, sending that into the strength & conditioning association for it to be marked & doing 10 hours of supervised & 20 hours of unsupervised coaching. I had hopes of doing it with Tas AFL...but it doesn't work with my work time table

That being said though, i think there's a lot of merit to if an athlete's MAS score goes from 6 to 5 for example.

In theory yes, but if they lose strength due to this and that strength is needed too then it may not be good. Or they could be focussing on getting those numbers down instead of focussing on their skill level which may need improving. Or the change in score could be useless for what they need, I guess it is all really relative.

Usually during a game you can tell what needs to be worked on, if the player keeps up with other in sprinting, out jumps people, kicks long and accurate but gets gassed fairly easily then you know they need work on their aerobic capacity (and therefore MAS). You can then tell how well it is working by how much more they are able to run during a game, no test needed :D.

As I said if I was doing a study on the affects of intervals on MAS then a test such as that would be good to see its effects but in the real world you can easily gain this knowledge by watching them play their sport, and it is a much more specific test at that.