• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mathematical Optimisation and Strength Training

Ollie

Hey guys...

I had a crazy idea this morning at the gym. It probably came about from this reddit post I found a few weeks ago, and the related Stigler Diet.

Both of the above are attempts to formulate a mathematical optimisation model to find the optimal diet, perhaps minimised for cost. The constraints of the system would be that each nutrient must be present in the diet to some minimum value; and, in some cases, must be less than a maximum value.

So, I was thinking:

Suppose you represent every muscle in a vector, and every exercise in a vector. There is a matrix that relates each exercise to a set of muscles - each element in the matrix basically says "on a scale of 1 to something, how much is this muscle involved in this exercise?".

Parameters for each exercise include difficulty level (say, 1 to 10), exercise and rest time required, etc. User specified parameters would include weaknesses (the muscles that should be targeted more in the programme), injuries (the muscles that should be avoided where possible), etc. The user would elect the number of workout sessions in a period, and the time difference between each session. For example, a period may be a week and the sessions might be Monday, Wednesday, Friday - so the interval between the sessions would be about 2 days, 2 days, and 3 days respectively. The constraints of the system would ensure that a minimum amount of rest is given between each muscle group. The user would also elect the duration of each session, and, based on the time requirements of the exercise, the solution would include a workout that fits into the session interval.

There may also be another matrix which relates each exercise to each joint in each direction, and the flexibility requirement. For example, front squats with the clean grip require a minimum flexibility in the elbows.

The model can be as detailed or simple as desired. As long as the model accurately represents the real life scenario, the solution should make sense and would be tailored to the person's specific strengths, weaknesses, and goals.

A quick search of Google Scholar would seem to suggest that this application hasn't been investigated before. I'm an applied mathematician so I'm always looking for new and interesting things that can be modelled and solved (Such as the seating plan at our wedding that was solved my a simple quadratic programming model). All this is in my area of research - large scale combinatorial optimisation.

Since I don't have a huge amount of time around work/study/gym; I was thinking of setting up a project - perhaps on GitHub - and making it a community project released under GPL. What do you guys think?

The human body is under constant allostasis and varies massively from person to person, it would be easier to predict the weather on Jupiter

I wish there was an app on my phone with sensors I can stick all over my body, then spits out the exact routine, rep ranges and rest periods that my muscles require that day for optimum growth. :eek:

The human body is under constant allostasis and varies massively from person to person, it would be easier to predict the weather on Jupiter

Each person would put in their own, specific and current details whenever they want a new programme.

I wish there was an app on my phone with sensors I can stick all over my body, then spits out the exact routine, rep ranges and rest periods that my muscles require that day for optimum growth. :eek:

Well this would be a simplified version of that - minus the sensors and the daily routine. But it would still be tailored to your goals, experience, strength, weaknesses, flexibility, time, etc.

I stopped reading at "set of muscles".

Training and expressing strength is a lot more complicated than "muscle groups".

Thankfully and conveniently for us, Alexander Prilepin has already done the mathematical modelling for us and produced his convenient table on how to structure training to optimally build strength.

You'll get a lot of "just lift stuff" responses but it's an interesting idea.

It's a given that the muscle-exercise matrix would only be valid for a particular individual. For example, my ratio of quad-to-hamstring utilisation during the squat is almost certainly going to be different to yours.

And even for an individual, the matrix would vary over time. For example, I'd expect that I'm employing more lats in my bench than I was a year ago.

And as you say, many more additional dimenensions: intensity-based dimensions such as percentage of 1RM, rest time and time-under-tension. there are cumulative fatigue dimensions: the degree of cumulative micro-trauma in the muscle fibers & the level of DOMS that you bring to the set before you even unrack the bar. Your caffeine levels and glycogen stores, and how they vary over time during a session.

But lets say you can abstract all that away and you can build and run a model, perturbing all possible inputs and converging on an optimal solution in a multi-dimensional input space - but hang on, there's the big problem right there: how do you build a meaningful model without being able to accurately characterise the response? That requires measurement, which is surely a Hard Problem.

Obviously, the number of dimensions in such a model is why heuristic optimisation strategies abound (training by feel + using % of 1RM, in fact all the various training methodologies) and why nobody's done it before. Given the degrees of freedom inside and outside the gym that are just not practical to control, some kind of feedback mechanism would have to be employed, essentally to recalibrate before each session. Many training methodologies employ something like this, albeit in a fairly agricultural way. And I've seen a doco where some national-level sports institutes look for muscle-breakdown and inflammation markers in the bloodstream to give some early warning about incipient injuries.

But anyway - I don't think building a model is the sticking point here; it's the measurement issue. We just don't have the technology yet.

The constraints of the model are still being debated anyway.

Myofibrillar vs Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, recrutal of muscle fibres, all that. Then what others have mentioned- individual differences in muscle recruitment, individual responses to training.

If you want a 'high brow' look into how some smart people have dealt with all the variables in training check out Mike Tuscherer's stuff.

Some strong dude once said to me once 'different things work for different people, you just have to try them to see what works for you' (referring to 5/3/1, Sheiko, Smolov, bodybuilding programs, westside, everything else out there).

Oni you always go on about increasing volume and have said a lot of successful programs are the same. Why don't you do a write up for an example template that increases volume, and maybe show how a few common templates work to increase volume too.

Maybe just for 1 exercise, e.g. weight/reps/sets
week 1
80%x5x5
week 2
80%x5x6
week 3
80%x5x6
week 4
80%x5x7

Where's the limit? 80%x5x20? Prelepin had some idea but I believe you said the Bulgarians 'blew this out of the water'.

You could call it the Matrix program (the OP could put in an equation somewhere) and make a lot of money.

Start at 80% of 1RM
Do as many sets of 4 as you can
Increase 2.5kg a session
Drop down a rep when you're at a 10RPE
Eventually you get to the point where you're maxing
Rinse and repeat, aiming for more sets next time
Add more exercises to increase volume further

I'm not going to say impossibly but instead say it's high improbably.

For this to work you would need to do at least an incomplete factorial design type experiment to get started. But even this would not work as some variables are continuously changing as conditions change. Even the fact that someone is getting more experienced and stronger would change and influence other variable. And you can't do it on one person and extrapolate that data to other people because everyone is going to be different enough to make it irrelevant even if they do have similar goals.

So yeah, keep dreaming if you really want.