• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mass Gainer for Hard Gainer?

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
I know mass gainers are generally frowned upon because its just packed full of carbs and fat, however what would you recommend for a hard gainer who has a problem getting enough calories in throughout the day??

Its easy for people to say 'just eat more!' however I severely dislike junk/fast food, cheesy fatty stuff, and prefer salads and noodles most of the time. I make an effort and eat more whole foods like beans, tuna, eggs etc, but I don't know... 6 times a day gorging and gagging on food I dont like is fast becoming a chore. And weight gains are hard to come by because the body isnt digesting all of it - when I eat heaps I get the sh*ts.

So anyhow... all things considered what would be a good mass gainer I can just skull and be done with it? I heard cell tech is not too bad but I want some opinions first!

Is that all? I didnt think powdered oats had that much calories in it. I tried adding olive oil to my shakes once and it tasted awful. Coconut oil sounds nice :cool:

I know mass gainers are generally frowned upon because its just packed full of carbs and fat, however what would you recommend for a hard gainer who has a problem getting enough calories in throughout the day??

Its easy for people to say 'just eat more!' however I severely dislike junk/fast food, cheesy fatty stuff, and prefer salads and noodles most of the time. I make an effort and eat more whole foods like beans, tuna, eggs etc, but I don't know... 6 times a day gorging and gagging on food I dont like is fast becoming a chore.

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

This recipe is from The 4 Hour Body (freely available online, or I can get you a copy) and adds almost 1000 great calories for every one you drink. Best of all, it's a mix of great tasting and good for you ingredients.

FAT SHAKE :
* 500mls of any full cream milk, I use organic.
* 3 scoops of plain old WPC protein powder, any brand, any flavour. I use a banana one from Protein Direct, but any will do.
* 2 tbsp of Chia seeds, or 2 tbsp of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower, Almond meal - available at any supermarket, try the 'Macro' range at Safeway), or both if you can handle it.
* 2 tbsp of Almond spread (again, I use the Macro one from Safeway)
* dash of cinnammon for its fat burning properties (un-proven)

I throw in a frozen banana every now and then for taste and to change it up. Two of these a day, along with my normal meals (nothing special at all) and I'm good to go for 3000+ calories and at least 150+ gms of daily protein.

Its easy for people to say 'just eat more!' however I severely dislike junk/fast food, cheesy fatty stuff, and prefer salads and noodles most of the time. I make an effort and eat more whole foods like beans, tuna, eggs etc, but I don't know... 6 times a day gorging and gagging on food I dont like is fast becoming a chore. And weight gains are hard to come by because the body isnt digesting all of it - when I eat heaps I get the sh*ts.

So anyhow... all things considered what would be a good mass gainer I can just skull and be done with it? I heard cell tech is not too bad but I want some opinions first!

How many calories are you aiming for that you are struggling to eat.

i normally use 500ml full cream milk, 2 scoops of WPC, 2 scoops of powdered oats, 2 scoops maltodextrin and 1 big tablespoon of natural peanut butter tastes nice and creamy

Last edited:
I use to think I was a hard gainer but in reality I was plain lazy. I didnt have enough motivation to eat more.
From aug to dec I used powered oats with every protein shake. I doubt I was still eating enough though.

But here is a pic of my back/lat spread in taken in may and as it is now. I might be an illusion seeing as I cant remember how I actually did the pose L or It could be a gain. I know its not massive results compared to others but I keep reminding myself that this is not a race and I am doing this for myself.

mayr.png
maye.jpg

now

27884414.png
61271656.jpg

maytonow.png

Still a long long way to go!

Need to know how you eat first before any suggestions could be helpful. 1 typical days log would be good.

i normally use 500ml full cream milk, 2 scoops of WPC, 2 scoops of powdered oats, 2 scoops maltodextrin and 1 big tablespoon of natural peanut butter tastes nice and creamy

perfect! candyflips shake is good to.

What are the macros/calories in that shake willyboy?

I use to think I was a hard gainer but in reality I was plain lazy. I didnt have enough motivation to eat more.
From aug to dec I used powered oats with every protein shake. I doubt I was still eating enough though.

But here is a pic of my back/lat spread in taken in may and as it is now. I might be an illusion seeing as I cant remember how I actually did the pose L or It could be a gain. I know its not massive results compared to others but I keep reminding myself that this is not a race and I am doing this for myself.

mayr.png
maye.jpg

now

27884414.png
61271656.jpg

maytonow.png

Still a long long way to go!

looks like your traps got beefer and back got a bit thicker. Hard to tell because you used different angles or made it closer in comparing photos.

I keep reminding myself this is not a race - yes that is very wise words mr.sookie!

By the way, it looks like your right shoulder from behind is way below the left shoulder.

And lean back and squeeze the lats then push your arms to your side which were from behind to do a more succesful pose

perfect! candyflips shake is good to.

What are the macros/calories in that shake willyboy?

i just started counting calories and macros and all that so im sorry if im not doing things right, still learning, anyways back on track

according to my fitness pal
500ml of full cream: cal - 326, p - 16, c - 20, f - 18.6
wpc (ON gold standard) : cal - 240, p - 48g, c - 6, f - 2
Maltodextrin: cal - 300, p - 0, c - 80, f - 0
powdered oats : cal - 289, p - 8.8, c - 48.9, f - 6.5
1 tb natural peanut butter : cal - 154, p - 7, c - 3, f - 12.5

total: cal - 1309, p - 80, c - 158, f- 40

*Edit*
dont forget to blend it otherwise it may be lumpy and annoying to drink, also one thing ive learnt is that if it get too hard to down from being too thick drink some of it first then top it up with a bit of water which will usually make it a bit smoother and easier to drink

Last edited:
Need to know how you eat first before any suggestions could be helpful. 1 typical days log would be good.

Ah ok.. well its something like this.

Brekky: natural oats with LSA, handful mixed fruit (dried and fresh like dates, banana, blueberries, raisins, pawpaw), yoghurt, skim milk

Morning Tea: Mass Gainer Shake

Lunch: Bowl of chow mein or other takeaway (Sumo salads, Subway iralian BLT footlong)

Preworkout: NoXplode with banana

Postworkout: Mass Gainer Shake

Dinner: HUGE plate of rice, like 3 serves, vegies, steak or fish or other large helping of meat

Before Bed: Mass Gainer Shake

Interestingly, when I weigh myself before bed and when I wake up, there is always at least a 1.5kg deficit in the morning. Where did all my hard earned weight go when I sleep? lol

At the moment the mass gainer shake I am having is Muscletech and makes me bloated when I have it (with water), makes it a challenge to eat a meal with it. I do like the idea of mixing oat powder and coconut oil in it as suggested, thats something I can see myself doing..

I'd leave the eating side for Dave... what I need to know is what activities are you involved in? You see, just as I don't much subscribe to the notion of over-training (generally speaking of course), since I much prefer the term under-recovering instead, I also feel that a hard gainer's problem is not so much under-eating as it is being overly active. In other words, if your metabolism is so damn fast as mine once was, you can drink oil and not put on weight! I know, I've been there. Between 13500 and 15,000 calories was eaten just for maintenance purposes. Was I training hard? Hell yeah! Did I do a thousand and one other things off the lifting platform? You bet! Solution? Slow down your metabolism just enough to enable some efficiency from the calories that you’re ingesting or are planning to ingest.

You may find your answer also by looking at people who wish to lose weight. Examine what they eat and you’d be (most often) surprised to learn they did not ingest the amount of calories your thought was anticipating. So how come they’re so over weight? Again; metabolism. However this time, it’s the opposite of yours in its speed.

Yes, I am taking a generalising approach, but it’s a view point that should also be considered when dealing with either underweight or overweight persons I feel

Fadi.

Fadi made a good point for you to look at. You just have to examine your goals and see what suits you best. Also you need more protein overall and cut out the mass gainer for milk and WPC/WPI much cheaper and better overall.