• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

martial art routines

wannabstrong

Thought i might spy on some of the competition here, and ask what you think gets you the best results in reguards to performance in your styles.
e.g body weight training, strength training etc.

cheers.

Thought i might spy on some of the competition here, and ask what you think gets you the best results in reguards to performance in your styles.
e.g body weight training, strength training etc.

cheers.

I only play a little in this area due to my illness. I don't compete but have to fight IRL. If I was to compete I would put much more emphasis on cardio than I do. I focus on lifting for power and related size. I focus on bag work or wall work for speed, accuracy and style. Lastly I practice on people where possible and legal. After several martial arts my style now is simply brawl (since I found out a long time ago I can cop a lot of heavy hits before going down).

Learning to take a hit seems to be a pretty crucial part of fighting. You can learn technique all you want but if you get knocked one and haven't been hit before your in trouble.

- Explosive power will help with fighting, proper punches don't just come from the upper body they gain most of their power from the legs, so squat it out.

- Bit of speed work to keep all things even.

Learning to take a hit seems to be a pretty crucial part of fighting. You can learn technique all you want but if you get knocked one and haven't been hit before your in trouble.

- Explosive power will help with fighting, proper punches don't just come from the upper body they gain most of their power from the legs, so squat it out.

- Bit of speed work to keep all things even.

Agreed 100%. Technique is almost the most important thing, behind will to win. Speed, causing getting out of the way and hitting first is awesome (sorry Barney moment from How I Met Your Mother).

definately not, i would die if only punched in muay thai.
Whats NP?

NP = no problem.

You made out he had given the ultimate advice. His squats spoken of related to punching. Hell squats related to a lot more than that, ie changing levels, grappling, dirty boxing, etc.

Its so much more complex than all of that...

haha i was merely saying that I squat aswell, ergo agreeing with him. This whole thread was about asking what people do to achieve better in their own styles.

OMG i think you should stop posting in the thread. maybe i should rephrase this whole thread because clearly people misundertand me for someone who has never walked in to a fight gym.
So here goes: Out of your whole fight routine including sparring,cardio, weights, bag work, foot work and just all round conditioning, what do you feel provides the best results for you.

im tryin to make it clear for everyone

Not many fighters on here. There was a bit of info from Martin Rooney and Brian Krahn here.

Basically info about what they think is crap through there years of training and coaching. They make a big point about maximal strength being more important than training circuit wise to increase strength endurance in a fight (grappling and clinching).

OMG i think you should stop posting in the thread. maybe i should rephrase this whole thread because clearly people misundertand me for someone who has never walked in to a fight gym.
So here goes: Out of your whole fight routine including sparring,cardio, weights, bag work, foot work and just all round conditioning, what do you feel provides the best results for you.

im tryin to make it clear for everyone

NP, fuck my 20+ years of fighting training and experience. You asked a question I'd expect of a newbie so I answered it as though you were. You made it clear as mud.

im getting my cardio from my 2 BJJ sessions a week and i do 1-3 weights sessions a week depending on my work hours. my weights sessions are made up of squats, deads, bench, MP and pull ups. i'd like to get more cardio in the form of sprints or kettlebells but i really dont have the time at the moment.