• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Making Gains

it would of been 2.5kg each time i hit full amount of desired reps. still too fast? you are eventually going to hit your maxes for those reps (for example the beginners program mainly using sets of 10 and 8), simply because u cant add weight the next session doesnt mean shit about being a novice or not, all you would need to to is change the rep range and boom, u can add weight

If you start at 25kg for OHP as an example, that means you are adding 10% each session... so yes I'd say that is too much.

If you change the rep range and can still progress next session/weekly then I'd still classify the person as a beginner.

I would argue that not being able to add weight by session/week is the definition of the transition from beginner > intermediate because you need more focused programming as gains don't come as easy.

Using lifts as a measuring stick can be murky at times as people aren't all the same. I am fine with the 140/100/180 norm, though, as it provides realistic targets if food intake etc is good.

If you start at 25kg for OHP as an example, that means you are adding 10% each session... so yes I'd say that is too much.

If you change the rep range and can still progress next session/weekly then I'd still classify the person as a beginner.

I would argue that not being able to add weight by session/week is the definition of the transition from beginner > intermediate because you need more focused programming as gains don't come as easy.

Using lifts as a measuring stick can be murky at times as people aren't all the same. I am fine with the 140/100/180 norm, though, as it provides realistic targets if food intake etc is good.
id say that when they no longer can add weight they have simply found their __ rep max. if you lower the rep range they will be able to lift more, this is the case with all lifters, advanced and novice.

id say that when they no longer can add weight they have simply found their __ rep max. if you lower the rep range they will be able to lift more, this is the case with all lifters, advanced and novice.

It's not about being able to lift more weight, its about being able to lift incrementally more over a prolonged period of time - linear progression.

When this stalls out I would consider person xyz intermediate from a programming perspective.

It's not about being able to lift more weight, its about being able to lift incrementally more over a prolonged period of time - linear progression.

When this stalls out I would consider person xyz intermediate from a programming perspective.
last time i checked thats what strength training is about lol

to break a stalled lift on a linear progression program you can make the rep range smaller and make them train at a higher weight for a while ( doing the same linear style weight increases) , and if you wish return back to the other rep range, u will find for a while they will be able to progress each week for a while because they have adapted the the heavier weight. simply because they stall does not mean they are no longer a novice, it just means they have hit that reps max

i guess ive been lucky.
im a short framed mesomorph, 5'5.
started dec last year at 57kgs, im now at 64kgs
when i started i was benching about 35kgs for 8, squatting 45kgs for 8, deadlifting 75kgs for 8.

im now benching 75kgs for 8, squatting 100kgs for 5 and deadlifting 125kgs for 5.

pretty happy with my results so far, guess it might be my serbian/russian genetics.
the only downside to this is my legs have grown 7cms, and they are constantly rubbing

Lulz at trying to classify strength levels.

1. If you have to ask whether you're still a novice then you're a novice.
2. If you have to ask whether you're advanced then you're not.
3. Don't even fucking ask if you're elite.
4. Anything else in between is intermediate.

elite is when i cant add weight for 3 weeks.

lolz :D:p:rolleyes:;):D

Doesn't Riptoe say you reset twice? Reset after you can't make reps 3 times in different session.

So:
Get to point where you can't squat more, fail making reps in 3 sessions
Knock off 25%
Work back up to new max
Knock off 25%
Work back up

By then you should have a pretty good squat/lift.

But the strength chart said I'm an Elite Deadlifter?:eek:
I'm rolling with that!