• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maintaining on a holiday

Overtrain before you leave. Take a couple of bands with you and do those horrible stabilizer and core muscle movements that look too gay to do in a regular gym.

Just have the time off and have a holiday, that's what holidays are all about IMO.

Relax and enjoy three weeks off, over a lifetime of training will make no difference at all, who cares, who are you competing against??

Let your body fully recover over three weeks, there is no way on the world you would lose strength in three weeks or size for that matter, if anything the opposite would be true, you would be fully recovered and ready and keen to smash it once you get back into every day routine.

Just have the time off and have a holiday, that's what holidays are all about IMO.

Relax and enjoy three weeks off, over a lifetime of training will make no difference at all, who cares, who are you competing against??

Let your body fully recover over three weeks, there is no way on the world you would lose strength in three weeks or size for that matter, if anything the opposite would be true, you would be fully recovered and ready and keen to smash it once you get back into every day routine.

1. Some of us LOVE training and don't see any reason not to, holiday or not.

2. If you are competing and driven to be the best you can possibly be, wasted progress is time wasted you will never get back.

3. I would argue 3 weeks will result in quite a significant decline in strength and work capacity that will then require more wasted time to be built back up rather than be progressing, my personal experience is certainly this.

But I understand your differing view, it's valid and understandable especially given your 20+ years experience and yet modest lifts - not a personal insult, just stating fact. It all depends on what motivates you to train, what you wish to accomplish and what the perceived time frame of that is.

Last edited:
I'm about to leave for almost 3 weeks. You just adapt your training? I'm not worrying about finding gyms & lifting weights. But there are plenty of ways to keep active while you're away AND still be able to thoroughly enjoy your holiday.

I'll be paddleboarding, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, riding a bicycle daily, beach runs, kayaking, thai boxing, body surfing. I'm going to eat my way through Thailand & a few cheeky beverages will most certainly be had.

The key to health & fitness is to be flexible. You're not always going to have a squat rack or a barbell at your disposal? And in the scheme of your training, which is a lifetime endeavour, a few weeks off routine, every now & then, is not going to break what you've already built :)