• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Macros

Brick

Hello ausbb peeps,

currently giving this cutting caper a run. Worked out my BMR etc etc and am seeing how I go on 2500 cals a day for a few weeks. So far no probs sticking with the cal restriction even feeling pretty strong in the gym.

My question for the diet gurus is about Macros. what sort of breakup sould I be shooting for. I average between 30-40% of my diet from protein and half of the remainder is carbs and fats roughly split evenly.

On the weekends it gets all fucked up and I eat shit tonnes of carbs and very little protein. I am working on cleaning this up but to be honest given it's christmas and the piss drinking season it probably won't change.

What is the optimal ratio of carbs.vs.fat.vs.protein I should be aiming for?

Don't use % of calorie ratios. They never work that well. They usually work out too low protein for cutting and too high for bulking.

For cutting get minimum 2g a kg BW protein. You might want to go a bit higher as you get to low BF ranges.

Get min 0.8g per kg BW fat

The rest can be carbs but try and get above 100g to keep yourself from feeling like shit.

I'm certainly not an expert but from the reading I have done, bazza hits the mark.

I am jealous you can cut on 2500 calories :\

Don't use % of calorie ratios. They never work that well. They usually work out too low protein for cutting and too high for bulking.

For cutting get minimum 2g a kg BW protein. You might want to go a bit higher as you get to low BF ranges.

Get min 0.8g per kg BW fat

The rest can be carbs but try and get above 100g to keep yourself from feeling like shit.

I've been aiming for 2g protein / kg of bw. Certainly hungry if I get less then that. Will check out my fat intake relative to bw.

I'm certainly not an expert but from the reading I have done, bazza hits the mark.

I am jealous you can cut on 2500 calories :\

Yeah just seeing how I go on 2500cal, was eating between 3000-3500 for ages but it got a bit out of hand. The calculators said 2200 cal I seem to be steadily dropping on 2500cal. I'm pretty active outside of work which unfortunately is a desk job.

Fluff

As a suggestion allow yourself a cal surplus

ie
Eat at 2200 Mon - Thurs and allow yourself 3000 cals Fri - Sun
(Total 17800 cals / avg 2542 a day)

Or if your going to have a big Saturday night...

Eat at 2200 cals Mon - Fri and 5000 cals for Saturday and 1900 cals for Sunday
(Total 17900 cals / avg 2557 a day)

My diet is 2400 cals Monday to Sunday.... I have an extra 1800cals that I use as I please throughout the week.... I usually save em for the weekend!
(Total 18600 cals / avg 2655 a day)

Fluff

As a suggestion allow yourself a cal surplus

ie
Eat at 2200 Mon - Thurs and allow yourself 3000 cals Fri - Sun
(Total 17800 cals / avg 2542 a day)

Or if your going to have a big Saturday night...

Eat at 2200 cals Mon - Fri and 5000 cals for Saturday and 1900 cals for Sunday
(Total 17900 cals / avg 2557 a day)

My diet is 2400 cals Monday to Sunday.... I have an extra 1800cals that I use as I please throughout the week.... I usually save em for the weekend!
(Total 18600 cals / avg 2655 a day)

Fucking genius I didn't think about building a little bank up. To date I have just been fasting all day if I'm going out to dinner or drinks and smashing my allowance in one sitting.

Coming into december and all the xmas parties and shit I will pare back through the week and leave a little bit left over the weekend. Thanks Naz

I increase calories on squat and deadlift day. However only calories from carbs. Fat and protein I keep the same.

Fucking genius I didn't think about building a little bank up. To date I have just been fasting all day if I'm going out to dinner or drinks and smashing my allowance in one sitting.

Coming into december and all the xmas parties and shit I will pare back through the week and leave a little bit left over the weekend. Thanks Naz

It works a treat....

And is very sustainable cause you don't feel like your on a diet most of the time...

I can handle a couple of days on lower calorie intake knowing that I can blow my self up later on in the week and still lose weight...