• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lumbar test

Last night i sat in a $50,000 machine to iso-metrically test the strength (in foot pounds), the result was interesting, I'll attach the graphs which will hopefully illustrate my lack of strength in my erectors at certain positions of the movement.

The machine places one in a position to eliminate the assistance of any muscle other than the erectors.

the first graph illustrates the % of people my age (53) the solid line is the average, 100% is elite athlete and zero is - well dead.

the bottom line of figures 0 to 75 are the degrees of angle tested is0-metrically.

Attachments

• lum2.jpg
    lum2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 91
The second graph:

Is the test in foot pounds, as you can see, my strength at 60 is extremly strong, but after 36, my back gets really bad.

the solid line is where i want to be.

Attachments

• lum1.jpg
    lum1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 92
How much did the test cost you?

The contraption looks very similar to one of the machines at the gym I go to, minus all the bells and whistles of course. How many plates do you stack it on.. or does it not work like that.

How much did the test cost you?

The contraption looks very similar to one of the machines at the gym I go to, minus all the bells and whistles of course. How many plates do you stack it on.. or does it not work like that.

It measures foot pounds, or newtons, although it has a weight stack, in this case I pushed ISO-metrically at pre determined angles.

it measured the force

my goal now is to flatten the strength curve, so that I'm just as strong at 12 degrees (standing up straight) and 60 degrees (bent over)

i will use similar lumber machines they have, these are the same but without the extra technology used in testing.

these machines have cams which vary the resistance, which overtime will flatten the strength curve in the targeted muscles.

Most of us will have this arched type strength curve, which is no good, it needs to be flat, which inturn means stronger and more flexible.

If you look at the first diagram you'll see the solid black line represents the resistance applied in the machines cam, through normal exercise.

They have many other specific type machines just like any other gym, but these machines are state of the art.

once I get into it, I'll post general results.

And I'll also post results, 3 months down the track with the lumber machine, using the same graphs.

The graphs are a bit too small for me to see in detail but I'm interested in this stuff too.

Can you explain what we're looking at in a bit more detail? What are the latest graphs showing?

What prompted you to start training at this place? Were you getting back pain? Was it general interest?

I had a go on one of these machines last year at Kieser Training in Melbourne but I can't remember the results. Vaguely remember being above average but not by as much as I would've liked, and I was relatively weak in the first couple of positions. Some positions were definitely way more comfortable than others.

The graphs are a bit too small for me to see in detail but I'm interested in this stuff too.

Can you explain what we're looking at in a bit more detail? What are the latest graphs showing?

What prompted you to start training at this place? Were you getting back pain? Was it general interest?

I had a go on one of these machines last year at Kieser Training in Melbourne but I can't remember the results. Vaguely remember being above average but not by as much as I would've liked, and I was relatively weak in the first couple of positions. Some positions were definitely way more comfortable than others.

If you look at the second graph you'll see a solid black line, that is the strength curve we need to be at.
Isometric tests were done at certain degrees of lumbar flexion, starting at 60, which in simple terms means bent over to 48, 36, 24, 12 and finally 3 which is sitting upright and pushing against the pad with my back for 5 seconds as hard as i can at each point.

My strength is pretty good, but i fatigue rapidly after 24, the goal is to increase my strength in that area, to flatten the line.

Over the last 4 weeks ive been using the lumbar machine with amazing results.

All barbell movements train a muscle in this manner, good machines are designed to have a flatter strength curve.

As the graphs indicate my back strength is very good, well above average and into elite area, until i get to 24 degrees of flexion, the last graph shows a considerable increase in strength as well as my strength curve a lot flatter (top line), which means my erectors are stronger than before testing.

Last night my isometric strength was tested on their leg extension at 70degree flexion in the knee joint, I blew it out of the park, data is kept of all trainees including Europe , at 3000 newtons, top 99%.

Tested stronger than a resident 23yo pro football player, I am wrapped.