• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lose fat not muscle?

Matt20385

Hi.

Soon I will want to be losing 5-10%bf and I want some advice on how little (fewer) calories I can take in without hitting the danger zone (muscle wastage). I'm 20%bf at the moment at 105 kgs and ride 25km every day and train hard 4 days a week

So with the info I have just given what would be the lowest calorie intake for me without burning my hard earned muscle.

Depends on the amount of calories your taking per day now, if they are high then with the amount of exercise you're doing try dropping calls by 100-200 per day initially and see how the body reacts, if you're on low Cal's now you may actually have to increase Cal's to start dropping some weight as weird as it sounds.

If you ride 25kms a day and lift 4 times a week then it's only cleaning up your diet. Cut out the refined carbs and sugar, eat heaps of protein and veggies.

You're similar to where I was around 10 months ago, my calorie deficit is around 500 per day less than my crappy diet days but I'm eating more volume by eating lots of veggies.

How much muscle you lose depends on a lot of factors.

If you're in deficit over an extended period of time - you will lose some LBM, it's inevitable really - unless you're novice. It's not the end of the world, as you will look better by cutting 5-10% body fat.

- Ectos typically chew into LBM faster than a meso would. Keep the diet in check, primed with protein. It's important you also lift as you normally would. You may need to reduce volume depending how hard you are cutting.

Few hundred calories below maintenance level, i.e. calories used (RMR+daily activities+exercise). I suggest getting a dexa scan done, this will give you your metabolic rate, from there you can factor in approx how many cals from daily activity and exercise, then make a diet plan from there.

You could be losing fat without any cardio whatsoever, at the end of the day, its calories in vs calories out. Aaron Curtis for his recent contest prep did a 50 week cut, with zero cardio.