• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Looking for sturdy bench w/ attachments

R

Ryzaar

I've done a lot of spending/selling/swapping around so I'm trying to get this one right for once.

I currently own a Force USA FID bench:

file_117_29.jpg

http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/force-usa-fid-bench-home-use.html

It's a great bench, but a few things that irk me:
  • The padding. It has a back rest which can sit uncomfortably on certain lifts.
  • Additionally, I find the 30cm wide back quite uncomfortable when bench, especially compared to other 24/26cm wide benches.
  • The pull-pin incline/decline set up. It gets stuck and is often just a PIA to move around.

So now I'm looking for a bench, ticking as many of these boxes as possible, at a price as far under $500 as I can go:

• Has leg developer/preacher attachments included/available under the $500 price.
  • Back rest is less than 30cm wide. 24cm/9.5in, 26cm is a standard I've seen commonly.
  • Sturdy. I'm still not to sure on benches with two feet at the back and one foot at the front, especially when on an incline setting.
  • Can not have a rack attached.

These things are also a big plus:

• Has wheels at the back
  • No pull-pin adjustments
  • No low back arch/supports.
  • Dark grey/silver colour to match my current equipment ;)
  • No rubber feet

Here are a few that have caught my eye so far:

Body Solid Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - GFID31
arton98.jpg

http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/body-solid-flat-incline-decline-bench-gfid31.html

Body Solid Heavy Duty Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - GFID71
arton99.jpg

http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/body-solid-heavy-duty-flat-incline-decline-bench-gfid71.html

These two benches look great, but are getting a little harsh on price (I'm just a student!).

York Diamond Bench
yorkdiamondbench.jpg

http://www.worldfitness.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=582

Very unsure about this one. Looks very sleek, but don't like the single foot at the front, and not sure how that diamond shape will feel!

I've been looking at a lot of popular online stores such as Gym and Fitness, Gym Direct, Aussie Fitness, Trojan Fitness etc, but haven't really found much. If anyone knows of some lesser known brands or websites that have benches close to my specifications, please let me know! Also interested if you can comment on any that I've picked out :)

I live in SA if this helps

Thanks,
Ryan

EDIT: Updating as I find more:

Calibre fitness Fid Weight Bench
105_csfid_flat_incline_decline_bench.jpg

http://www.calibrefitness.com.au/strength-equipment/benches/light-commercial-body-weight-plate-loaded-free-weights/105-fid-weight-bench

Last edited:
I have the Body Solid Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - GFID31.
It is a reasonable bench. And I have used a lot worse. I would go try one out.
But;

I have found over time it does seem to rock a little bit (side to side), mainly in the seat part. Tightening doesn't seem to do a lot either. I think it is to due with the pin lock system.

The gap between the seat and back part is fairly large and I have to jam a rolled up towel in there for comfort, but without this gap the it wouldn't be able to fully incline to 90 degrees.

I am 6ft3 and would actually prefer the bench to be slightly lower to the ground, I can see why it is at the height it is which would be for the leg attachments.

Supposedly the heavy duty is a lot better and is longer but I was space confined at the time of buying.

I can't comment on any of the attachments as I don't have any.
Where are you looking at buying from?

I have the Body Solid Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - GFID31.
It is a reasonable bench. And I have used a lot worse. I would go try one out.
But;

I have found over time it does seem to rock a little bit (side to side), mainly in the seat part. Tightening doesn't seem to do a lot either. I think it is to due with the pin lock system.

The gap between the seat and back part is fairly large and I have to jam a rolled up towel in there for comfort, but without this gap the it wouldn't be able to fully incline to 90 degrees.

I am 6ft3 and would actually prefer the bench to be slightly lower to the ground, I can see why it is at the height it is which would be for the leg attachments.

Supposedly the heavy duty is a lot better and is longer but I was space confined at the time of buying.

I can't comment on any of the attachments as I don't have any.
Where are you looking at buying from?

Thanks for the reply. I'm a similar height and had the same problem with the bench I had prior to my current one - not sure I could deal with that again!

I'm buying from SA, but so far the Calibre Fitness bench is looking good. Not many written reviews online and not sure where to try them out, so I'm looking for other brand-name copies of this bench (I think Force USA have an identical one).

Thanks for the reply. I'm a similar height and had the same problem with the bench I had prior to my current one - not sure I could deal with that again!

I'm buying from SA, but so far the Calibre Fitness bench is looking good. Not many written reviews online and not sure where to try them out, so I'm looking for other brand-name copies of this bench (I think Force USA have an identical one).

You might find some decent second hand commercial stuff from fitness factory near henley beach road. Give them a buzz, last time I looked their site was hacked. Other than that. Yeah gymandfitness, befit hire seem the places to go. Even southern workout is ok

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ah thanks, I might check out that place at Henley next time im down that way!

body solid bench is thin as fuck. Try to get something with a 28+cm wide pad, even 30cm+ is better.

I Tried to purchase the York diamond shape bench and was told the attachments have been out of stock from the supplier for the last 3 months with no idea how much longer they were going to be out of stock for.

Give them a call first to see if they are in stock before you go ahead and order it.