• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lifting platform

willyboy

I'm looking at building a lifting platform (3m x 1m) and I just had a few questions.

After looking at a few of the designs around I just had a few questions. What thickness should the base be? Also I noticed that some people have used chipboard then placed plywood board on top and then rubber on top of that, would it be ok if I just used either just chipboard or plywood with rubber on top?

Finally the centre of the platform where you stand, would it be best to use wood or rubber, if I was mainly to use it for deadlifts and rows?

If you're just going to deadlift you could just throw down some rubber mats.

The wooden centre is mainly for grip when doing Olympic lifts.

just use 2 layers of sheet flooring, going in different directions and rubber

If you're making a platform for the right reasons it does need rubber in it, not just wood - otherwise just deadlift anywhere.

A well built platform is designed to reduce noise and shock to the equipment to increase their lifespan, its not just a pretty looking square... its functional.

The reason I want a platform is because I don't want to ruin the floorboards underneath and also to reduce noise.

As space is the limiting factor here would a 2.4 x 1.2 be enough space to lift from using an Olympic bar or would I be better off with a 3 x 1.

The issue with the 3 x 1 is that I would need to get an additional 0.6m peice at the end of the 2.4 sheet, I'm not very handy and I don't mean to ask a stupid question but how would I attach it to make it 3m in length?

Also I'm going to be using 2 1x1m 15mm rubber mats for where the weights will land as the 50mm tiles from IE will cost too much for the amount that I need (poor uni student)

As space is the limiting factor here would a 2.4 x 1.2 be enough space to lift from using an Olympic bar or would I be better off with a 3 x 1.

The issue with the 3 x 1 is that I would need to get an additional 0.6m peice at the end of the 2.4 sheet, I'm not very handy and I don't mean to ask a stupid question but how would I attach it to make it 3m in length?

as i said in my earlier post, beat was to explain it woul be have the first layer running horizontally, and the top layer vetically, like a plus sign; + or #

the easiest option would be get a few sheets of yellow tounge sheet flooring, 3.6 x 900mm and used full sheets

but space is an issue, so you will need to cut it down, when you go to put them together keep one edge 100mm hanging over, that will leave a layer on either side to fix the extra peice on, if your still confused ill break out my paint skills after dinner

If you're just deadlifting 2.4x1.2 will be fine

If you're trying to protect the floorboards make sure you have rubber or thick carpet between the timbers otherwise they'll scratch each other

If I was to build one now it would be as simple as 2x2.4mx1.2m bits of ply stuck directly on top of another then a layer of marine carpet glued on top
Put this on the 15mm rubber mats I already have on the floor and I'd be done

Yeah it is only going to be used for deadlifting and rows. So just 2 peices of 2.4x1.2, with 1 whole sheet on the bottom and cut the other sheet in half and glue screw the other 2 halves in the opposite direction and then rubber on top?

if space wasnt a factor id go 3600x900 side by side, so 3.6x1.8 then double the sheets running in opposite directions to lock it together, then put rubber mats over the top, fixing it with screws

4 3.6x900 sheets
8 rubber mats (would need to be cut to size)

trust me, im a carpenter ;)

Yeah it is only going to be used for deadlifting and rows. So just 2 peices of 2.4x1.2, with 1 whole sheet on the bottom and cut the other sheet in half and glue screw the other 2 halves in the opposite direction and then rubber on top?

you only need to change the direction of the sheets if there is a join, so you could just glue and screw the two full sheets together on top of eachother

yeah i think i might do the 2.4x1.2 using two layers of plywood? what thickness plywood should i be looking at getting?

Yes 1200 x 2400 is adequate, just don't travel too far from the middle when you lift and drop it rather than throw it.

Stack two sheets of 1200 x 2400 x 15mm ply on top of one another, tack screw them together and throw a sheet of old conveyor rubber on top. Can all be done for less than $200.

19mm is pretty standard, we use 19mm yellow tongue for flooring on houses, so you know it will last hahaha the reason why id still stay pretty think at 19mm is that it will be having constant instant force from the weights.

Just doing a quick google search I have found you can get 25mm plywood? Would this be better (more thicker)? Or should i just get 15-19mm?