• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lifting platform plans

zan777

Looking to build myself a lifting platform. Through searching on the forum Big Micks Thread (http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/15419-building-lifting-platform-home-gym-3.html)on his experiences build his platform as well as most of the design have helped lots.

I've tried to come up with a design and just wanted some details before committing. I'm trying to put together on a budget but still build something that is quality.

The base of the design is 2.4m x 1.2m (size of 1 standard plywood sheet). The wooden standing part is going to be 90cm with 75cm of rubber mat shock absorption for the plates.
25iognd.jpg

The base sheet I was planning to use 15mm structural plywood and then 42mm x 12mm pine to raise it similar to this structure in big micks design:

IMG_1064.jpg

Next the matting will be 15mm gym mats cut to size (2 x 1m x 1m). For the standing part I was planning to use 2 BC grade (1.2m .9m, 7mm) sheets. These work well as they won't need to be cut. Only issue is once stacked they will be 1mm shorter then the rubber. I don't foresee this being to much of an issue.

overall the thickness will be 4.2cm were bumpers will be dropped. Do you think this is enough?

Finally I need to weatherproof the wooden parts. What can I seal the plywood with that won't make it slippery? Should I make the entire wooden structure, seal it, then glue the mats on last?

costing is looking roughly at:

Main plywood sheet $56
~11 m pine $25
2 x plywood sheet $34
Screws $6
Liquid Nails $5
SEALANT $???
MAT $

---------------------------------
total: $125+
-----------------------------------

Final Questions
  1. Is the height going to be supportive enough
  2. Will the 1mm gap between rubber and wood matter
  3. What can I seal the wood with that won't make it slippery?

thanks

I started building another platform last night.
3000mmx2700.
I'm using:
yellow toungue chipboard flooring 3000x900 as my base.
12mm plywood laid in he opposite direction and screwed down on top.
9 1mx1m 15mm thick rubber mats on top on that
Then black ally angle run around the perimeter to hold the mats in place.

Will be around 43mm thick and take a beating. Total cost ~$500

With your plan, why are you using 42mm Pine to raise it?
That's going to make it weak. You will put a hole in it.

I started building another platform last night.
3000mmx2700.
I'm using:
yellow toungue chipboard flooring 3000x900 as my base.
12mm plywood laid in he opposite direction and screwed down on top.
9 1mx1m 15mm thick rubber mats on top on that
Then black ally angle run around the perimeter to hold the mats in place.

Will be around 43mm thick and take a beating. Total cost ~$500

With your plan, why are you using 42mm Pine to raise it?
That's going to make it weak. You will put a hole in it.

Aren't proper oly platforms built like that to have some spring in them, I agree he hasn't placed the battens close enough together in that picture and will probably punch a hole in it.

Not sure, but being a chippie and a powerlifter, if he lifts more than my female clients, he will put a hole in that.

Aren't proper oly platforms built like that to have some spring in them, I agree he hasn't placed the battens close enough together in that picture and will probably punch a hole in it.

The only reason I included them was because this is how I'd seen it done b4. It would be easy to put support structures closer together to make it more structurally sound, or would you go against raising it altogether?

Not sure, but being a chippie and a powerlifter, if he lifts more than my female clients, he will put a hole in that.

Yeah from what I've seen online the batens are supposed to be spaced close together ie 20mm pine on edge with 50mm - 75mm between them or something like that gives the platform a bit of spring when dropping a loaded bar. Apparently it helps save the bars. I agree the way that is laid out you will put a hole in it.

I'm a chippy too and I can tell ya people way overcomplicate these things like you said a sheet of chipboard, some ply and rubber mats on that and you've got a killer platform. If your dropping a $2000 dollar eleiko bar from overhead I s'pose you may want to build a proper platform all setup on timbers.

The only reason I included them was because this is how I'd seen it done b4. It would be easy to put support structures closer together to make it more structurally sound, or would you go against raising it altogether?

Dude why bother just do like sticky said lay a sheet of chipboard on the floor (cause its cheap) and ply down the guts of that with rubber mats on either side.

The 1mm difference is completely negligible. Are you using the liquid nails to glue the mats down? I personally wouldn't. You only want to make this platform once, so I'd use something like Fulaprene 303, Soudal Fix All or one of your suited Sikaflex products.

Elsewise, it looks like a pretty solid design. Obviously, closer lattice spacing of that network of 42x11 DAR would be a good idea too.

Dude why bother just do like sticky said lay a sheet of chipboard on the floor (cause its cheap) and ply down the guts of that with rubber mats on either side.

Sounds easy enough! last question is what to weatherproof the plywood with that won't make it slippery

Cheers

I always use a product called ultrafloor, get it in matte and give a light sand after application. Are you going to put it outside? If you are make the whole thing from ply not chipboard.

Ultrafloor can be expensive I think like $50 a litre but you can usually request a small sample pot from the manufacturer and they usually give it too you just imply your gonna buy 50litres or something and you just want to make sure you like the finish. Otherwose I think you can get .750ml tub from bunnings.

If you don't care about looks just leave it raw plain ply is an excellent surface, the platform at gold coast barbell is just raw ply amd great to lift on.

Or just use a generic sealer with a grip additive. Something like a litre of external varnish and the clear grip additive offered by White Knight (in their paving range).

I'll make a quick thread next week with pics

Basically you will need:

3 sheets of 3600x900 16mm yellow tongue chipboard flooring $110
3 sheets of 2400x1200 12mm plywood $160
9 15mm rubber mats $225
Aluminum 40x40 angle 12m $140
Box of 28mm screws $10
Box of pan heads (optional) $10

Tools I used:
Pen
Tape
Level
Square
Circular saw
Jig saw
Screw gun

instead of rubber you can also use marine carpet. This is what is used on competition platforms.

depending on the rubber and the plates you use (and indeed how you deadlift), it can sometimes be a bit too bouncy for deadlifts. At Melbourne Uni, there are 2 rubber tiled platforms and 1 coated solid timber platform. With the rubber ones, there is noticeably more "dead time" waiting for the bar to settle between reps compared to the timber one.